I've been around longer than most of the folk in this thread, so allow me to make some observations from history. I was a mod when the original Storm was released. It was hugely hyped as the "iPhone-killer." I don't remember if we had a countdown timer or not. I do remember that one poster started a near riot in the Storm forum by reporting that a truckload of 50,000 Storms had been hijacked the day before the Storm was supposed to be available. He just made it up to stir up trouble. Then the Storm was released. CrackBerry got a LOT of new members who had never used a BlackBerry before. Things that long-time BlackBerry users knew from experience were completely obscure to the new members. Making matters worse, not only was the Storm not an iPhone-killer, it simply wasn't a very good device. Now you had new users who didn't know how a BlackBerry was supposed to work, who expected their new Storm to be a super-iPhone, and who instead got a not very good first attempt at a consumer touchscreen device by a company that made its name in enterprise keyboard devices. The reaction was furious and in hindsight predictable. Anti-Storm trolls popped up faster than the mods could manage. Counter-bashing Storm-defenders were just as bad. The mods at the time, myself included, were not prepared to deal with the hostility and deliberate provocation on both sides. As a result, the Storm forums were basically useless for a long time, a lot of new members were turned off, and more than a few members ended up getting banned. (It wasn't all bad. The current mod Pkcable got his start in the Storm forums.)

To the present. The BB10 represents the biggest new device in CrackBerry since the original Storm. I have no doubt that it will be a far better device in its first incarnation than the Storm was in its. It almost certainly won't be perfect. I hope it is a huge commercial success. And I hope the regular participants here temper their expectations of both the device and the new users that it will bring. It's a great opportunity for the CrackBerry forums to help RIM and their new customers succeed.
    01-15-13 09:25 PM
    I am completely with OP, and jeffh.
    01-15-13 10:51 PM
    Well said, the old timers need to learn to share these good times with the newbies who I'm sure are just as excited and as such may make mistakes here and there, no biggie really. So loosen those ties, relax and lets enjoy this ride together.
    Can't we all just get along here folks?

LOOK... this is the most exciting time in BlackBerry history... EVER!

There's going to be longtime members who've been around since the earlier years, and there's going to be new members coming here for the first time.

I want everybody treated friendly and fairly here.

It's a return to the good 'ole days of CrackBerry. Lots to be excited about. Check the attitude at the door before you login. Once you're here... give into the CrackBerry happiness.

Ok?
    01-15-13 10:58 PM
    Actually, you'll see a lot of people hate apple because of the way "apple people" act.
    LOL. It comes from all sides- whether it's members with Androids, BlackBerries, or iPhone owners. It's a "one-up" game. There are members on here that take the opportunity on just about every thread they post on to say something negative about other platform devices. Then the ish talking starts, more members get involved, thread is closed. Next thread, someone with a different device starts the same ish all over again. It's a cycle and I've been around long enough to remember when BlackBerry owners went after each other for having a different BlackBerry, or because a few had a new beta OS and would make them wait after posting pics about how great it was with other members d*mn near begging (calling them beta-gods) for a link, then calling them jerks or worse for making them wait a little longer. So, it’s the SOS (flaming wars) - just different scenario.

I know some or most may feel that it's important to represent/defend your brand......especially with the launch weeks away. I totally get the excitement. LOL. Over two years and new BlackBerries are finally around the corner. So, if you are relatively new here or to CrackBerry(or forums), you really don't know and assumptions won't change the repeated history(lol, my posted drivel) on this site. Anyway, if you really want to help RIM, buy stock or an extra BlackBerry after the launch. But, don’t turn off potential Crackberry-Addicts.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 01-16-13 at 07:48 AM.
    01-15-13 11:11 PM
    truth be told, i'm sick of the way some people here reply.
    Your past posts are not exactly apple pie , sugar and spice,lol. Just sayin.
    01-15-13 11:13 PM
    I love threads like these where people try to outdo each other with sanctimonious drivel...thanks for the warm and fuzzy feeling but sorry I wont be one of those playing all nicey nicey and goody goody-because I am neither of those. However I wont proclaim how great BB10 is because its not out yet and until people use it and praise it I can only say that if the RIM that knows it keyboards show up, this thing will be HUGE. I am hoping they do.
    Still, I dont live in the US of A so when people are posting and declaring RIM as dead then believe that I will be saying something sarcastic about it. And if I see a troll, I will be calling on my three Billy Goat Gruffs. If this stance is seen as aggression, frankly my dear I dont give a d#mn
    01-15-13 11:23 PM
    A little help please. I can't find Skype or Netflix in BB app world. How do I get them installed on my phone ???

01-15-13 11:56 PM
    Verdict : Everyone is GUILTY!! This includes new members,old members and yes some mods... Let's all start fresh and try to be a bit more tolerant BlackBerry10 is poised to make a big splash very soon and the wait will finally be over. Exciting times indeed.
    01-16-13 12:28 AM
    It happens to a lot of us that see the same thing needing asked again and again.

However, we do have to remember that there are how many of millions of BlackBerry users out there and still growing? A TON! Not all of them are part of CrackBerry nation. I have to remind myself of this from time to time too. The best thing we can do is inform them of where the info can be found and be nice when telling them that "here is the place to go to post that" or "here is the thread where is has been asked if you want to see that discussion".

To the long time members, yes it is taxing sometimes. But look at it this way:

New members = a bigger and stronger CrackBerry Nation!

To any I have offended in the past I do apologize. Lets move forward and unleash the awesomeness that will be BB10!
    Yes I remember crackberry announcing it had reached 3 million users not all that long ago. Now its what 3.7 million? Evidently plenty of people are not scared away.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-16-13 12:29 AM
    I've been around longer than most of the folk in this thread, so allow me to make some observations from history. I was a mod when the original Storm was released. It was hugely hyped as the "iPhone-killer." I don't remember if we had a countdown timer or not. I do remember that one poster started a near riot in the Storm forum by reporting that a truckload of 50,000 Storms had been hijacked the day before the Storm was supposed to be available. He just made it up to stir up trouble. Then the Storm was released. CrackBerry got a LOT of new members who had never used a BlackBerry before. Things that long-time BlackBerry users knew from experience were completely obscure to the new members. Making matters worse, not only was the Storm not an iPhone-killer, it simply wasn't a very good device. Now you had new users who didn't know how a BlackBerry was supposed to work, who expected their new Storm to be a super-iPhone, and who instead got a not very good first attempt at a consumer touchscreen device by a company that made its name in enterprise keyboard devices. The reaction was furious and in hindsight predictable. Anti-Storm trolls popped up faster than the mods could manage. Counter-bashing Storm-defenders were just as bad. The mods at the time, myself included, were not prepared to deal with the hostility and deliberate provocation on both sides. As a result, the Storm forums were basically useless for a long time, a lot of new members were turned off, and more than a few members ended up getting banned. (It wasn't all bad. The current mod Pkcable got his start in the Storm forums.)

To the present. The BB10 represents the biggest new device in CrackBerry since the original Storm. I have no doubt that it will be a far better device in its first incarnation than the Storm was in its. It almost certainly won't be perfect. I hope it is a huge commercial success. And I hope the regular participants here temper their expectations of both the device and the new users that it will bring. It's a great opportunity for the CrackBerry forums to help RIM and their new customers succeed.
    Great post.
    Emphasis on what I believe will be very needful after Jan 30th.
    01-16-13 03:46 AM
    Verdict : Everyone is GUILTY!! This includes new members,old members and yes some mods... Let's all start fresh and try to be a bit more tolerant BlackBerry10 is poised to make a big splash very soon and the wait will finally be over. Exciting times indeed.
    Yah....this is true too. Mocking is not part of modding.
    BergerKing and lorax1284 like this.
    01-16-13 03:48 AM
    A little help please. I can't find Skype or Netflix in BB app world. How do I get them installed on my phone ???

You'll find them in a secret little sub-section of the App World called iTunes. Mind you, knowing that ain't a lot of help as I can't seem to find a way into it myself.
    01-16-13 04:23 AM
    And speaking of BB10, did you lot look at the image Bla1ze posted in the Z10 forum. Ooooooo, nice...
    01-16-13 04:27 AM
    Everybody is excited for BB10, even the long time BB bashing tech media like BGR and Gizmodo, so if even they are excited negativity on this fan forum becomes less tolerated. And so it should be.
    01-16-13 04:42 AM
    I am fairly new to Crackberry, I love it, as much as I love my BB phone. But if everyone that came on here and did a search for there question, then we wouldn't have all this fun, talking about each other. and reading all the duplicate post. "jk"...I don't post much but on here everyday at least one time a day, and if I can help someone out, I do.

Love you all you guys and gals How about a group HUUUUGG
    OniBerry, whitbags and lorax1284 like this.
    01-16-13 05:22 AM
    Here is my take on this. Being a newbie myself, I bought the Playbook in September. I found the Crackberry forums. However, being not too familiar with them, I posted my first question. You need to start somewhere even if it has been posted before. That is the only way to test the waters of the forums, so to speak. You ask the question that is most on your mind regardless whether it has been posted before. It is the nature of the beast. The topic here is how we respond to these posts. Making someone feel stupid because they did not do their research is not the way to go no matter how long you have been on Crackberry. Like it has been said, it is best to nicely explain the search feature to them and answer their question. Make them feel welcome. Getting snarky, mean and sarcastic does not help them or other newbies reading the posts. If the posts bother you so much, then ignore them and let others answer and hopefully they will be nice about it. Many questions that have been asked before actually turn into good posts that people learn things from. And if everyone found their answers before posting, these forums would be pretty dead. There are only so many questions that can be asked about Blackberry (phones, tablets, etc). Like I said before this should be a happy, learning community and a tolerant one. There will always be new members no matter what is said but us as Blackberry users should want to set ourselves apart from the others and be welcoming and willing to be patient and embrace all of our members.
    01-16-13 06:06 AM
    I love the passion that is CrackBerry. Reading through this thread, most of you get it. Funny, even when the discussion is reducing aggression, some cannot help but make passive or not so passive posts. We can't all have the same perspective. Be wary of that as you read and post. All too often the modfia has to get involved, because someone assumes the worst.

If you think it's a troll, report the post. "GTFO TROLL!" is not helpful. Neither is "Lock this thread!". As my good friend branta often says, it takes two to make a fight. When the passion turns to fire, get marshmallows, not gasoline.

It's a new year, an exciting new OS is around the corner. Let's try and start it fresh. Keep calm, keep patient, keep posting, keep an open mind and most of all, BBelieve.
    01-16-13 07:11 AM
    Not too long ago, I had a tech question, resurrected an older thread instead of starting a new one, and asked the question relevant to the title. Someone was unhappy about that, complaining that I restarted an old thread. Just saying - darned if you do, darned if you don't.
    01-16-13 07:23 AM
    Not too long ago, I had a tech question, resurrected an older thread instead of starting a new one, and asked the question relevant to the title. Someone was unhappy about that, complaining that I restarted an old thread. Just saying - darned if you do, darned if you don't.
    To be fair, Necroposting is frowned upon, on almost every forum. Some forums don't warn either, they just ban.
    01-16-13 07:34 AM
    It's a new year, an exciting new OS is around the corner.
    This. Also, an entirely new OS brings the interesting point that, for at least an hour or two after release (not launch, release for sale), we all have the same amount of noobness (noobicity?) until someone has done enough work/playing/digging/dissection etc on the new device & software.
    01-16-13 07:36 AM
    I think now would be an EXCELLENT time to put a STICKY "Discussion Forum FAQ" with 5 VERY SIMPLE points about how to successfully participate in Discussion Forums.

Maybe even a special forum for "newbie questions" heavily moderated where the questions can be posted by newbies, and a mod or user so inclined can answer the question, and a mod can come in and move the question to the appropriate forum.

Here's my crack at the "5 simple points"

1) Welcome! This is the internet, so if you have the bad luck to come across a bad-tempered user on a bad day, don't take it personally... the nice folks outweigh the hostile folks, (but sometimes it's hard to tell, we admit :-) )

2) Before you post a topic, do a search for key words and see what other existing topics you can review or contribute to, rather than starting a new topic. That said, if the last post on a topic is very old, maybe you should start a new topic... but be sure to mention why you started a new topic instead of using the old one, right in the first post.

3) You have a choice when you respond to a hostile post. You may feel the urge to respond in kind, but that will just incite what is known as a "flame war" and we want to keep the tone of our Discussion Forums positive. If you think the post is sufficiently hostile, you can flag the post for a mod to review (Mods are busy... they can't read every post in every forum, but will make sure to review posts that are flagged and will take appropriate action with the poster and the post itself.)

4) If you post text quoted from another source or user, be sure to "cite" the resource... a URL or the user name. Don't misrepresent (accidentally or intentionally) someone else's text as yours.

5) I can't think of a 5th one. I'm sure there are even more, but keep it to the "top 5" and a link to "more guidelines here if you want to learn even more about what is known as 'Forum Etiquette'.

To be fair, Necroposting is frowned upon, on almost every forum. Some forums don't warn either, they just ban.
    Posters have to use judgement on whether to post to an old topic, but if mods complain about reviving old posts, if the posts are irrelevant or the information contained therein is obsolete, why aren't the mods deleting / archiving dead information? Because the mods aren't doing their "jobs" if they're making the posters SELF moderate to determine what topics are outdated and which aren't. I have issues with the "this is MY world!" Agent Smith attitude of some mods on some boards, where criticism of mods is itself punishable (a la middle eastern regimes where an insulting tweet about the sheik will land you in a pit/prison or worse) and mods do their modding indiscreetly (if you have an issue with a user PM them and have them adjust their post with the "EDIT" button, or the mod adjusts it for them and issues an infraction etc.).

Those aren't mod problems I encounter on CrackBerry, but it's not cut & dried.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 01-16-13 at 08:00 AM.
    01-16-13 07:48 AM
    I think the reason they get those types of answers is because the info is already out there and all any has to do is search and they will most likely find the answer.
    thats no excuse for the rudeness tho.
    i agree with the op. the same time it takes for some fool to make some smart comment, could be the same time spent answering those questions.
    the crackberry community isnt the worst i've come across, but i wouldnt call it friendly either. thanks to a bad few that take all the attention

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    rottonj likes this.
    01-16-13 08:12 AM
    Well, you can't legislate judgement. You can, but you are either going to kill someone, or yourself.

First time I visit a forum, I look for the search bar/box and type "Posting Guidelines" The information on CB, like other forums, is not hidden.

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-r...uidelines-113/

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...members-78003/

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-rules-policies-f39/
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-16-13 at 08:54 AM. Reason: are to is - a tense thing
    01-16-13 08:31 AM
    It is for the judgement of the user whether to start a new thread and incur the wrath of the "Use Search" trolls, or revive a relevant older thread and incur the wrath of other self-appointed forum nazis. In reality moderators can and will accept either approach for a member posting relevant content.

One of the problems we see with necroposting is that many revivals of abandoned threads are found to be spammers posting into a random thread to publish their garbage. However some revivals are valid, and we don't have the resources to close every thread (nor would we want to) which hasn't been posted for some arbitrary period. Deleting older threads is not even in the frame - some are still valid, and anyone can predict the response from a member who sees random reductions in post count reduce them to "newbie" status again.
    01-16-13 08:32 AM
    However some revivals are valid, and we don't have the resources to close every thread (nor would we want to) which hasn't been posted for some arbitrary period.
    I periodically go back to certain old, bookmarked threads to update them with relevant information, especially if we learn more technical info which either corrects or adds to something that was said. That form of "necro" posting is certainly reasonable... if someone were to tell me it wasn't, honestly I'd just leave, permanently, since that would be totally irrational.

Reasonableness and respect seem to be the keys to the whole thing, don't they?
    01-16-13 08:37 AM
201 ... 23456 ...