Anti-Storm trolls popped up faster than the mods could manage. Counter-bashing Storm-defenders were just as bad. The mods at the time, myself included, were not prepared to deal with the hostility and deliberate provocation on both sides. As a result, the Storm forums were basically useless for a long time, a lot of new members were turned off, and more than a few members ended up getting banned. (It wasn't all bad. The current mod Pkcable got his start in the Storm forums.)
    The banning engine has been overhauled ready for action. The policy will be zero tolerance for disruptive posters regardless whether they are pro- or anti-BlackBerry. The Storm forums demonstrated that the soft approach to trolls does not work, and trolls must never be allowed to take over a forum again.
    01-16-13 08:41 AM
    Well, you can't legislate judgement. You can, but you are either going to kill someone, or yourself.

First time I visit a forum, I look for the search bar/box and type "Posting Guidelines" The information on CB, like other forums, are not hidden.

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-r...uidelines-113/

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...members-78003/

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-rules-policies-f39/
    Ok, so now would be PERFECT time to review and update and simplify these.

A lot of them are very VERY high level / abstract to a total Discussion Forum newbie. They won't help newbies avoid 'errors' that will possibly raise the ire of less patient old-timers.

The "Infractions" one says that there is a table of points, below. There's no table. So... um... review and update?

And, having to search to find the "how to search" information is, well... um... do I have to say what it is?

When you hit "forums.crackberry.com" when not logged in I see "register today", then a big "search" box, and a big "find device" box. Super.

Maybe what is needed to be added prior to the influx of BB / BB10 / Discussion Forum newbies is a big

"New to Discussion Forums? Click Here"

Button, with a nice INTRODUCTORY getting started basic rules (not in legalese and not written as a stern matronly grade 1 teacher would speak) and then you are getting newbies off to a good start. Now, they can just "whatever...!" and skip past it and THEN... they deserve what they get?

The above is a suggestion to address the reality that the release of BB10 devices will bring a lot of new BB users, and a lot of new "Discussion Forum" users.

I expect to make a lot of mistakes myself as the types of technical issues relevant to BBOS<8 devices will be perpendicular to those of BB10 devices, so I apologize in advance for my mistakes.
    01-16-13 08:47 AM
    i agree ^_^
    01-16-13 09:01 AM
    The banning engine has been overhauled ready for action. The policy will be zero tolerance for disruptive posters regardless whether they are pro- or anti-BlackBerry. The Storm forums demonstrated that the soft approach to trolls does not work, and trolls must never be allowed to take over a forum again.
    Amen brotha Branta.
    01-16-13 09:08 AM
    @lorax1284 - I agree, but the majority of the info is there. I know CB has a redesign in the works for the BB10 release, hopefully they take some of your (and others') suggestions and run with it.
    01-16-13 09:17 AM
    To be fair, Necroposting is frowned upon, on almost every forum. Some forums don't warn either, they just ban.
    Please define necroposting. The thread was about a month old. Not being facectious here, just really wondering.
    01-16-13 09:51 AM
    Can't wait!
    01-16-13 10:08 AM
    Please define necroposting. The thread was about a month old. Not being facectious here, just really wondering.
    I don't think there is a standard or anything...lol

NP just means reviving a dead post. I don't condone the treatment you received when you posted (well, I haven't seen the thread tbh), and was not trying to justify any rude or obnoxious behavior. Just playing devil's advocate.
    01-16-13 10:56 AM
    I find that it's a matter of testing the waters with care AND plenty of common sense.

If what you get is "n00b, there's already plenty of posts about this", then there are 2 possibilities and 1 confirmed fact:
    Possibilities
    *You just met the forum's meanest son of a gun. Yeah, every forum has the guy with rough edges and condescending attitude (which ironically is the reason they managed to stay: it's their trademark), who will troll just about everybody for the exact reason of because.
    *You just hit the sensitive question
    Confirmed fact:
    *You just asked a question just about everybody else had, and you managed to not do reasonable research about it, exposing either lapse of mind or laziness in the process.

It's a matter of common sense, and really had nothing to do with respect or stuff. I find that if a question had been asked too many times, a question had been asked too many times, and no amount of newb-ness is going to change that. Being nice is good, but being rude cannot be considered wrong 100%.

Virtually nobody will be rude if the question holds merit and is not a question that summons its twin every 5 minutes.
    01-16-13 11:04 AM
    I will just throw in the fact that the forum search is not all that great (like all forum searches). One is really better off searching Google; which often leads back to relevant CrackBerry threads.
    01-16-13 12:57 PM
    "na zis" ?? With all due respect I take extreme offence to such a term being used, it has no place on Crackberry.com or any respectful forum. IMO this is a very bad precedent to set for these forums, also some of these posts are picked up by google for others to see , not cool at all. Please edit your post and remove the extremely offending word.

It is for the judgement of the user whether to start a new thread and incur the wrath of the "Use Search" trolls, or revive a relevant older thread and incur the wrath of other self-appointed forum xxxxx. In reality moderators can and will accept either approach for a member posting relevant content.

One of the problems we see with necroposting is that many revivals of abandoned threads are found to be spammers posting into a random thread to publish their garbage. However some revivals are valid, and we don't have the resources to close every thread (nor would we want to) which hasn't been posted for some arbitrary period. Deleting older threads is not even in the frame - some are still valid, and anyone can ..........
    Last edited by TomJasper; 01-16-13 at 02:23 PM.
    01-16-13 02:11 PM
    "na zis" ?? With all due respect I take extreme offence to such a term being used, it has no place on Crackberry.com or any respectful forum. IMO this is a very bad precedent to set for these forums, also some of these posts are picked up by google for others to see , not cool at all. Please edit your post and remove the extremely offending word.

If Seinfeld can use it to describe a soup shop owner, and every forum from here to China uses it to describe people who comment about grammar and such, then it can also be used to describe someone who is very rigid about certain rules and regs.
    01-16-13 02:24 PM
    If Seinfeld can use it to describe a soup shop owner, and every forum from here to China uses it to describe people who comment about grammar and such, then it can also be used to describe someone who is very rigid about certain rules and regs.
    Thor is German, I'm sure he would not be impressed either. I mean really what next, will we see the other N-word which is just as offensive being tossed about because it was on some tv show. I'm very open style when it comes to posting,I have had 2 infractions to prove such,yet perhaps it my upbringing but certain words are extremely offensive. I'll just leave it at that.
    01-16-13 04:03 PM
    This thread has got me thinking in that it raises a valid point. Many of us can get snappy. Myself included. In truth, we've also had to put up with a lot of crap from trolls, press etc for a long time telling us we're 'full of crap for liking a BlackBerry product." It has made people extra sensitive I suppose. A little thicker skin is warranted as not everyone is a troll and many concerns raised are valid as raised concerns
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-16-13 04:15 PM
    Thor is German, I'm sure he would not be impressed either. I mean really what next, will we see the other N-word which is just as offensive being tossed about because it was on some tv show. I'm very open style when it comes to posting,I have had 2 infractions to prove such,yet perhaps it my upbringing but certain words are extremely offensive. I'll just leave it at that.

Errmmm, no. The only similarity between those two words is they both begin with n. That's a bit of a stretch.
    homer1475 and reeneebob like this.
    01-16-13 04:51 PM
    Maybe, if you understood the term, in the context it was used, you wouldn't do it. Obviously Tom, you're not following the thread topic. If you find something offensive, responding publicly is the wrong recourse.

The use does not in any way diminish the horror some of my relatives experienced, nor insult those of German decent. If you'd like to discuss it further, I'd recommend PMing me.

Now, back on topic.....
    01-16-13 04:59 PM
    Seriously? Lamenting over the etiquette in a Internet forum about technology? First World problems.
    01-16-13 06:10 PM
    Well, considering it's used all over the internet and common vocabulary as a descriptor for overbearing behavior, you're asking a lot. Not to mention going a little overboard with the sensitivity. There won't be any sites online for you to read. In otherwords, chill. It is ironic considering some of what you've posted in the past. I'm sure Thorsten Heins appreciates you telling everyone what he thinks too. Bonus points for that.
    rottonj and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-16-13 07:58 PM
    Reading some of these posting rules posts reminds me of this old, rather tongue-in-cheek video... LOL

01-16-13 08:29 PM
    I would suggest you do the same. I personally think this forum is FULL of biased and pompous members that drag you to **** for asking something you don't fully understand or like I saw the other day, when a member got told off for making an Apple joke. It was a joke for crying out loud(and a pretty lame/harmless one at that). This kind of thing doesn't affect how you perceive the brand but it will certainly make newbies look for another place. The difference is that I'm not intimidated by words, posts or mods and I will have a field day telling people to take several seats.
    01-16-13 08:29 PM
    you do realize this is just a cell phone
    I haven't read everything yet but I had to reply to this. you are correct. this is the internet people. if you get mad or sad about annonymous comments from people you have never met, then maybe you should take a break from it all.

I have made snappy comments and also had snappy comments made to me. its the internet and it doesn't bother me to the point of getting emotional. take the good with you and brush off the bad

edit: I do want to say that hate or abusive responses that are unreasonable should never be tolorated and I support the ban of such ones
    01-16-13 08:45 PM
    Honestly, the abrasive people have been the "plants". You know, the social media people who are paid to comment on sites. Generally, they claim to be an afficionado, and then tear the product/candidate down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-16-13 08:48 PM
    ^^^^ I need to get in on this paid bit..come on where do I sign up?
    01-16-13 11:41 PM
    Honestly, the abrasive people have been the "plants". You know, the social media people who are paid to comment on sites. Generally, they claim to be an afficionado, and then tear the product/candidate down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I've been accused of that on this board.

I'm still waiting for this mythical paycheck I should have coming to me for daring to criticize some of RIM's decisions in the past.
    01-16-13 11:58 PM
    Problem is trolls never think they are trolls. I admit I'm a huge BB/RIM 'fanboy'.

Best question ever, 'why are you here?'. I never ask it for me, I ask it for them. If they truly have the opinion BB/RIM sucks so much and have nothing useful to say they should use their time more wisely cause its a waste of everyones time if they are posting here.

I'd argue the hostilty at BB fans here is worse and perplexingly odd considering what I assume who this site is intended for. Check ou my sig for an example.

BB10 is going to ROCK!
    01-17-13 12:35 AM
201 ... 34567 ...