• Curve 8330

46 93.88%
  • Pearl 8130

3 6.12%
03-04-09 09:36 PM
39 12
tools
    Hi all!

In not so far (5 days max), I'll be a brand new BB user and, like about 10 millions people out there, I'm wondering.....Blackberry Curve 8330 or Blackberry Pearl 8130. At the begin I was going for the Pearl, but then, after doing my homework I'm really wondering if I wouldn't like the Curve better. Since I got a data plan that allows me to surf the web as much as I want, I'm thinking that the Curve would be better for me. However, I like the size of the Pearl. And as for the keyboard, I hate T9 as **** on my Samsung clamshell, but I know that Suretype is a lot better (from what I've read). I'm gonna use my BB to surf the web, check my email, some SMS (but not a lot), and all the other stuff it will allow me to do (like watching videos, music and all the others BB gizmo)

So it all come to this : Which device is the fastest? Do the two have an HTML browser? Does a difference of a hundred tomatoes is worth it to have a bigger screen and QWERTY (Curve 99$ and Pearl 0$)? I'm going to go try them both today, but I'd like to have your opinions also!

Thanks a lot!
    03-01-09 06:35 AM
    I'd go with the Curve because of the keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 06:41 AM
    Battery / Talk time is better on the 8330. Also you get more ram. 96mb vs 64mb on the Pearl.

I actually prefer suretype over QWERTY, but that isn't the majority. So the only things that I can see you going with the Pearl over is...

size
    price
    and for the oddest reason the keyboard (like me and AG)

Either choice, it's a Blackberry which means awesome choice. Like you said, go into the store and play with both and see which one you prefer.
    03-01-09 06:45 AM
    03-01-09 06:48 AM
    What about the browser? Is it HTML for the two device?
    03-01-09 06:49 AM
    I'm not sure if you mean something else, but yes it does.
    03-01-09 06:51 AM
    I am going with yes as well. HTML browser should be the order of the day with the Pearlie as well as the Curve.

03-01-09 06:53 AM
    If you mean flash, no!
    03-01-09 06:54 AM
    I was really meaning HTML like on a computer screen.
    03-01-09 07:01 AM
    Not quite like that, but pretty close.

03-01-09 07:04 AM
    Not quite like that, but pretty close.

Lies... no where near!

Op: But Opera Mini can bring you closer than the BB browser can.
    03-01-09 07:09 AM
    Man oh man....I really don't know anymore. Guess I'll really be fixed after playing with them both. Unless someone has hard as steel arguments for a device over the other... In other cases, thanks!
    03-01-09 07:10 AM
    Lies... no where near!

Op: But Opera Mini can bring you closer than the BB browser can.
    Okay, not that close. Not like the Jesus phone anyway. However, the browser is tons better than what it was. And, Opera Mini is still not my friend, but others swear by it, so it must not be that bad.

OP: I am on wap, so I cannot see your carrier or do not remember from the start of the thread. Which carrier are you on?

03-01-09 07:15 AM
    It all comes down to what you like. I personally love the curve. Screen size and full keyboard are what sold me. As far as a web browser goes, I use the BB browser. It is a mobile device and runs quicker on mobile sites. If I want eye candy on the web pages I'll use my computer. I'll save the eye candy on the BB for themes.

03-01-09 07:33 AM
    I'm gonna be on Telus (Yes, I'm canadian!)
    03-01-09 07:37 AM
    I'm gonna be on Telus (Yes, I'm canadian!)
    Canadian eh? Sorry. Are you upgrading? I was merely wondering if these are your only choices on Telus.

03-01-09 07:39 AM
    My two cents: I've had a Pearl for over a year, loved every minute of it .. except I said too many bad words over SureType mistakes, worried too often about having enough device memory to run programs, and could not use some programs for lack of memory ...

I just upgraded to a Curve, and I don't regret it all .. love the full keyboard, the larger screen, the increase in memory and all the new programs I can run .. and it's an attractive look and design to boot!!

Go with the Curve ...
    03-01-09 07:42 AM
    No, these aren't the only BB that Telus offers. They also have the 8830, and the Storm 9530
    03-01-09 08:16 AM
    So, it is just the Curve and Pearl then? Go with the Curve. Although, I have a Pearlie as well; the Curve is a better device.

03-01-09 08:21 AM
    Of the two I must admit I am quite partial to my Curve over wife's Pearl. To me, hers is too thin to comfortably hold and type. Not a real big fan of Suretype, but I could get along with it if I had to.

Personally, I believe that the screen alone makes it worth the extra $. IMHO

03-01-09 08:48 AM
    I just upgraded from a pearl to curve on Telus myself, and the curve is 100% the way to go.

Its easier to type, the screen is much bigger and makes reading and email way more enjoyable. The messages screen gives you more information and is easier on the eyes. It seems to run a bit smoother too.

The only reason to go for a pearl over the curve is if you won't be doing much surfing or typing and want the smaller device.I would NOT have had the patience to write this message on my Pearl.

Either way though, you're going to love your new phone.

03-01-09 06:46 PM
    I LOVE my Curve, which I've had for a couple weeks now. I don't know how I ever lived without it. From the friends I've spoken to that own Pearls, the keyboard and screen size is their biggest complaint, and they seem to get Berry envy...
    03-01-09 06:56 PM
    Voted for the Pearl, Duvi captured my reasoning in post #3, so
    I won't repeat it
    03-01-09 07:25 PM
    I have had both devices and have to say to me the better device is the Curve. The Sure Type on the Pearl didn't work well for me. The Curve was way better overall. It had a better form factor for me. The Pearl was way too small for me. The Curve was faster, and i typed way better. That is just my opinion.

I do know people who actually like the pearl. So my recommendation to you is the same as Duvi. Go try both of them out.
    03-01-09 08:33 PM
    I say Curve, I've had both devices and I just love the full keyboard better. The pearl was way too small.
    03-01-09 08:37 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD