So, Blackberry underformed. Or, more specifically, the Z10 underperformed. It's going to be a long road back, and one bad quarter is not going to kill the company. Unless the blogosphere and "analysts" panic. The next 2 quarters are much more important, as we see if the the Q10 and Q5 get traction.

The platform is maturing: I was glad to see that Discovery channel app for BB10 launched, and 10.2 is on its way. But it will take time. The Q10 and Q5 are going to have to buy the company that time.

Clearly there are aspects that BB needs to improve:

1. Marketing -- more spend, particularly in the US. Not necessarily for sales, but thought leadership and analyst respect. That will influence the entire eco-system: devs, consumers, and corporates. If everyone on Crackberry agrees on this, what are the restrictions preventing BB from executing? Is it cash, or is it management?

2. Blackberry has obviously been setting the bar too low on hardware. The S3 was a success because it clearly stood out in a way people wanted -- big screens. The Z10 and Q10 were very safe design choices (I personally think the Q10 is a dead end); the next hardware must shoot higher, and it must be more distinctive and innovative.

Having failed at it twice myself, I can tell you that platform transitions are extremely risky and difficult, and hindsight is always 20/20. BBOS/BIS weren't built in a day. I think technically, Blackberry is executing reasonably well. The shortcomings are in marketing -- in promotion, management of the product portfolio, and ensuring a quality UX.
    06-29-13 10:42 AM
    Finally someone that makes sense...good one OP

Posted via CB10
    maddie1128 likes this.
    06-29-13 10:45 AM
    Well said OP.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 11:39 AM
    If you look at nokia they also struggled when transitioning from symbian to windows phone when it was first released. It will take about 2 years, not just 6 months to complete such transition. Look at where they are now, they're slowly but surely on the up trend yet still ship symbian devices as well
    06-29-13 12:26 PM
    I couldn't agree more OP.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 01:43 PM
    If you look at nokia they also struggled when transitioning from symbian to windows phone when it was first released. It will take about 2 years, not just 6 months to complete such transition. Look at where they are now, they're slowly but surely on the up trend yet still ship symbian devices as well
    The problem right now is that BlackBerry does not have the luxury of two years. They are being judged on what they have right now.

So there is a sense of urgency for them to get everything right with their hardware, OS and to effectively market the BlackBerry 10 so that the average consumers are aware that it exists and also it's capabilities.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-29-13 02:15 PM