I see a lot of problems with this line of thinking... BBOS wasn't going anywhere, it was an outdated mess... there was no choice, it had to be scrapped, albeit BB10 could mirror BBOS's features better, but all that development takes time. Then there are things like the Hub that I wouldn't give up.

I'm sorry to say but I respectfully disagree with your sentiments. BlackBerry would be dead, chopped to pieces, and sold for pennies on the dollar if they didn't scrap BBOS. If anything it should have been done sooner.

You are recommending that they should have maintained course when they knew it was going to run aground. BBOS users where and still are becoming fewer and fewer.
    Last i heard, BBOS hasn't been scrapped. It's development was mostly abandoned in favor of BB10. Why did they have to abandon it just to develop BB10? Developing a new OS from scratch is an aggressive pursuit for software capable giants like Apple. BBRY was destined to require several years to get BB10 into useful maturity. What did they think would happen during that period??

Had they pursued parallel development strategy for a few years, it's arguable that keeping qwerty users satiated with incrementally updated Bolds might have permitted QNX to better focus on gesture. Each incremental Bold upgrade should have provided some additional revenue, also. By this time, they might have been better positioned to devote attention toward developing TRUE BB10 legacy replacements. All conjecture, at this point.

Instead, the approach they took could be viewed as analogous to IF MS had abandoned fat OS's two years before introducing NT back in '93. NT took 8 yrs to evolve into XP... 95, 98 and ME kept MS profitable while NT matured. I'm no particular fan of MS but they know how to make $$.
    08-28-14 06:33 PM
    I've used bbos phones for work since forever, ...............

Posted via CB10
    I see a lot of problems with this line of thinking... BBOS wasn't going anywhere, it was an outdated mess.................
    Agree with this 100%. BlackBerry was bankrupt in 12 months if they didn't make the move.............
    Thanks for replying with your input. I think most people don't/didn't use the 9900/Bold to the maximum like some people do. You are looking at the BB10 from a point of view with only one or two social media accounts. I tested the Z10 three weeks ago to see what everybody was raving about in the BB10. Up until that time I was looking forward to the upgraded OS. But after using it 3 days I found so many things BB10 is missing. The BB10 is 2-3 years old how much time does BB need to be up to OS7 features? I don't know anything about programing, but look at serbanescu postings. His comments makes a lot of sense.

Here we are 2-3 years down the road and BB10 not what everybody keeps raving about. The bad thing is JC/BlackBerry has to fix it. What a mess, waste of money and lost of revenue. Think about it how much RIM/BlackBerry wrote off and lost of revenue because they could not delivery and the OS was not ready. If I was a carrier I would not inventory BB phones either nor would I trust what they say. It is going to be a long healing time.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-28-14 at 07:01 PM.
    08-28-14 06:48 PM
    I know John Chen was green to RIM so during his learn curve, how much bad influence did he get. Did the 20 year old's in R and D, that didn't even own a Bold, give him bad advice?
    BlackBerry has acknowledged in the past that feature sets and specs were driven by engineers that thought they knew what was best for us as opposed to what the market wanted.

Under the founders [to which we owe immensely, the foundation of BB] that was the BB culture. I understand Heins and Chen had / have taken steps to change the culture but from where I'm sitting [in my armchair] that culture is changing very slowly.
    Mr4aces, flyingsolid and Katika99 like this.
    08-28-14 06:50 PM
    Blackberry should have kept making limited batches of 9900 as long as people want to buy them,
    while releasing the new BB10 phones and making the right one for Bold owners to buy,
    I am still using 9900's for business as they just keep on working and doing what's required,
    Track pad /function keys /charging dock/ removable battery and the best keyboard,
    Looking at Classic as possible replacement of 9900, but seeing no removable battery
    Is a good start and the double typing of Q10 (never happened on 9900) will it happen
    With the classic? Build Quality of 9900 has been excellent,
    and BBM for I phone/Android, all my family and most of my Friends are I phone and the odd Samsung, and no interest in downloading BBM Never mind using it, they see me as an eccentric having a Blackberry so I could BBM my self ? and the Passport is certainly different only leaving the classic
    To try when it arrives if not suitable will buy replacement 9900's I stay with anything that gives good service why change still using Windows XP.
    08-28-14 07:02 PM
    Blackberry should have kept making limited batches of 9900 as long as people want to buy them.
    Isn't that kinda what they are doing? I mean, you can buy a 9900 right now on shopblackberry.com
    kbz1960 and damien kupuku like this.
    08-28-14 07:17 PM

Here we are 2-3 years down the road and BB10 not what everybody keeps raving about. The bad thing is JC/BlackBerry has to fix it. What a mess, waste of money and lost of revenue. Think about it how much RIM/BlackBerry wrote off and lost of revenue because they could not delivery and the OS was not ready. If I was a carrier I would not inventory BB phones either nor would I trust what they say. It is going to be a long healing time.
    Well, perhaps BB10 isn't for YOU, and that's ok - but as a power business user like me, I love it.

BBOS had reached the end. They could not squeeze any more life out of the OS. It was already straining by the time 7.1 came out. I loved my 9900 at the time, but I don't miss the hourglass, battery pulls, and the terrible browser. There was absolutely no room for more development. They could continue selling the existing devices (as they still do), but it could no longer be built upon as a platform.

They absolutely had to start from scratch. Your point about being more ready at the time of deployment is well taken, but there was absolutely no more time to waste. The launch was, in hindsight, poorly executed. But here we are.

BB10 is MORE than everyone keeps raving about as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad your few days with it didn't sell you on the platform. Perhaps you have to give it a real chance?

I'm still not sure what other OS there is out there that is a better communication power house than BB10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    08-28-14 07:36 PM
    Many ex-9900 users are holding exactly the same thought, including me.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 07:44 PM
    Isn't that kinda what they are doing? I mean, you can buy a 9900 right now on shopblackberry.com
    Not on BlackBerry UK is not listed have to buy from third party retailer,
    08-28-14 07:45 PM
    BLACKBERRY: All we want is a 9900 that should have come out 3 years ago with a better motor, stereo and back up mirrors. We want a "retro" Bold 9900.
    The, probably millions, users that have moved to other platforms (iPhone, Android, Windows) will disagree.
    "There is nothing permanent except change." Heraclitus (?)
    damien kupuku likes this.
    08-28-14 07:54 PM
    BlackBerry 7 is an overstretched BlackBerry Device Software 5.0. The only new thing they introduced were Social Feeds, WebKit Browser and colorful theme

Other than that, BlackBerry OS stayed the same between version 5 to version 7. They tried to get it up to modern OS, they couldn't.

Also, BlackBerry 10 is 1.5 years, not 2-3 years. Perhaps you want to count in PlayBook OS

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    eduzojordan and damien kupuku like this.
    08-28-14 07:55 PM
    If BlackBerry didn't make the BlackBerry 10, I would be using WP now. BBOS is so dated. The browser is very slow, the screen is so small. For messaging and email, it's OK, but for everything else, it's not good enough. Everybody needs a good browser. BlackBerry 10 delivers. We also got a more improved keyboard too. And yes, I used a Bold.
    08-28-14 08:02 PM
    Well, perhaps BB10 isn't for YOU, and that's ok - but as a power business user like me, I love it.

BBOS had reached the end. They could not squeeze any more life out of the OS. It was already straining by the time 7.1 came out. I loved my 9900 at the time, but I don't miss the hourglass, battery pulls, and the terrible browser. There was absolutely no room for more development. They could continue selling the existing devices (as they still do), but it could no longer be built upon as a platform.

They absolutely had to start from scratch. Your point about being more ready at the time of deployment is well taken, but there was absolutely no more time to waste. The launch was, in hindsight, poorly executed. But here we are.

BB10 is MORE than everyone keeps raving about as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad your few days with it didn't sell you on the platform. Perhaps you have to give it a real chance?

I'm still not sure what other OS there is out there that is a better communication power house than BB10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    Thanks, but when I was using the Z10 I did not see anything that the OS7 could not do except using a track belt. If you could be more specific on what the BB10 is better at, I can borrow the Z10 again and experience your rave. Don't get me wrong I would like for you to be right, but I'm not optimistic at this time.

There is no OS or App or Software that that comes close to OS6/7 for multiple social feeds. Do you understand what I mean about the multiple feeds? Everything else on BB10 is to accommodate the gesturing and gaming apps. Since I don't use my phone to play games on it I have no idea what or what not the BB10 will do nor do I care. The OS6/7 is not for the younger generation where gaming and selfies. It is a texting, email and work OS.
    08-28-14 08:07 PM
    I can't speak for the 9900. Never owned one. Having said that bb10 is the only BlackBerry Os I have any experience with. It runs all over my old android phones, plus I don't have to deal with nosy old Google if I don't want to. I do more with my z30 than I ever did with my androids. I barely pick up my laptop now unless I want to watch a movie.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 08:08 PM
    If BlackBerry didn't make the BlackBerry 10, I would be using WP now. BBOS is so dated. The browser is very slow, the screen is so small. For messaging and email, it's OK, but for everything else, it's not good enough. Everybody needs a good browser. BlackBerry 10 delivers. We also got a more improved keyboard too. And yes, I used a Bold.
    There are at least 2 types of users: 1. Using as a work phone; 2. People that surf the net and use it for pleasure. Two different requirements so yes, the OS6/7 is not for you.
    anon5288998 likes this.
    08-28-14 08:10 PM
    I think most people don't/didn't use the 9900/Bold to the maximum like some people do. You are looking at the BB10 from a point of view with only one or two social media accounts. I tested the Z10 three weeks ago to see what everybody was raving about in the BB10. Up until that time I was looking forward to the upgraded OS. But after using it 3 days I found so many things BB10 is missing.
    I used a Bold 9900 for more than one year. Then got a Z10 first and later a Z30. By comparison Bold 9900 is: sloooow, display size small, writing using a physical keyboard feels weird, video games (for when kids want to play them) very old, browser is not as good as on Z10 and Z30.
    I think learning curve for BB10 (specially touch devices) will take more than 3 days, maybe one week.
    08-28-14 08:12 PM
    I can't speak for the 9900. Never owned one. Having said that bb10 is the only BlackBerry Os I have any experience with. It runs all over my old android phones, plus I don't have to deal with nosy old Google if I don't want to. I do more with my z30 than I ever did with my androids. I barely pick up my laptop now unless I want to watch a movie.

Posted via CB10
    I used a Bold 9900 for more than one year. Then got a Z10 first and later a Z30. By comparison Bold 9900 is: sloooow, display size small, writing using a physical keyboard feels weird, video games (for when kids want to play them) very old, browser is not as good as on Z10 and Z30.
    I think learning curve for BB10 (specially touch devices) will take more than 3 days, maybe one week.
    Never said BB10 wasn't better than android or iphone. In fact in another thread I stated that the Z10 was way better than my wife's Samsung. I type about 80 wpm on a desktop so I expect at least 40-50% production from a mobile device and the gesture phones just don't cut it for me. How can anyone say typing on a gesture phone is faster than the 9900. The Q10 has its' short comings becuae it does not have a track belt and function keys. Since I don't surf or play games, I am only comparing BB10 vs OS6/7 with work related functions.

BTW: Up until 2 years I owned as many as 683 urls, 20 Twitter, 2 FaceBook, 10 email accounts (there were 20-25 more but they were forwarded to the 10 on my phone) and 5 BBM Channels. 3 years ago I use to get over 200 emails/day. I'm retired so I trimmed it down to 10 email, 3 Twitter, 2 FB and 3 BBM Channels
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-28-14 at 08:31 PM.
    08-28-14 08:19 PM
    There are at least 2 types of users: 1. Using as a work phone; 2. People that surf the net and use it for pleasure. Two different requirements so yes, the OS6/7 is not for you.
    And then there are users that use the phone for both business and pleasure. I mainly use my phone for email, BBM, text, and other calls. For these it works like a charm. For those times I need a reference from a website, or other app, it's quick to do so. The current OS allows me to get what I need/want far quicker. Don't get me wrong. BBOS was awesome, and BB10 is missing some features, but when I look at what each was missing, BBOS was missing more, for my needs, than BB10 currently is. The beauty of it all is that I know that BB10 can only get orders of magnitude better, whereas BBOS was at an incremental stage.

With all that said, you do realize that BlackBerry is where it is because of the old OS right?
    BionicKris likes this.
    08-28-14 08:22 PM
    I have used all BB phones and OP you keep hammering on one point social feeds.

While OS7 did have great social feeds that was my least used feature. For me it was about the browser and being able to get to intranet and internet sites.

BBOS was 10 year old software and was done. They did continue dual development for a while until more resources were required for bb10. They even offered coders and programmers classes to get up to speed for bb10.

In the end bb10 needed to be developed while they were doing the playbook and they would have had more time to bake in some features.

What other legacy features other then social feeds are you looking for.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-28-14 08:23 PM
    The problem is really simple if you create a new OS there are things people are expecting from the predecessor and rightfully so. Releasing BB 10 without so many usp stuff wasn't smart. What they should have done is include the old boys in the development process and release updated Curves, bolds, Torches because most people who are looking for a BB phone are interested in communication instead of browsing, gesturesand tons of apps.

I mean really the team went from an open api, programmable LED, skins to a walled garden approach why? Then they can't figure out how to get the physical key assignment to work? Sorry but to me that tells me the OS isn't ready for prime time. Sorry I'm not an early adopter, so if an is lacks important stuff I'm not going to use it, period. That's the beauty of Android don't like the OS? Flash a custom Rom

Why doesn't BB allow us to downgrade?

Now add the introduction of possible non removable batteries, no more curved keyboard and people are wondering why BB just doesn't stick to a working formula?
    anon5288998 and flyingsolid like this.
    08-28-14 08:27 PM
    If BBOS was/is so great, why millions of people (I doubt all of them don't use their smartphone as a work device) moved
    to other platforms? Why those millions did not got a Bold 9900?
    Please check again, who said that is faster to type on a touch device?
    08-28-14 08:31 PM
    There are a lot of users like me too.

BB10 is my platform of choice FOR hardcore business and communication. I specifically gave up BBOS because I could no longer do my work.

More than just communication. I vpn to my work computers using VNC and control the desktop from my device. I edit Microsoft documents (spreadsheets, data bases, etc) both on my device and remotely. I use the web a lot, as many business and financial transactions occur through the use of Web forms and government portals. I use travel software and location based apps to manage my travel. I use mapping software to find where I'm going. I manage large numbers of job site photos on my device, in the cloud, and on remote file servers. I do a lot of research through the web and keep up on important articles using rss readers.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

BBOS just can't cut that.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    08-28-14 08:31 PM
    ............Also, BlackBerry 10 is 1.5 years, not 2-3 years. Perhaps you want to count in PlayBook OS

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    If you want to count when it was done or when it was started or when it was released? I don't think it is done. Brand new?
    08-28-14 08:35 PM
    There are a lot of users like me too.

BB10 is my platform of choice FOR hardcore business and communication. I specifically gave up BBOS because I could no longer do my work.

More than just communication. I vpn to my work computers using VNC and control the desktop from my device. I edit Microsoft documents (spreadsheets, data bases, etc) both on my device and remotely. I use the web a lot, as many business and financial transactions occur through the use of Web forms and government portals. I use travel software and location based apps to manage my travel. I use mapping software to find where I'm going. I manage large numbers of job site photos on my device, in the cloud, and on remote file servers. I do a lot of research through the web and keep up on important articles using rss readers.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

BBOS just can't cut that.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    Remote desktop is phenomenal! I can't for Blend too!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 08:39 PM
    If you want to count when it was done or when it was started or when it was released? I don't think it is done. Brand new?
    If you want to count when it was started, perhaps you want to find out how long it actually takes to develop an entire OS. Seriously. How long do devs take to develop a decent app?! This isn't an undertaking that takes a few months.
    08-28-14 08:42 PM
    You keep talking about social feeds.

As a business user, I don't do a lot of that, but I can certainly understand a business case for it.

Have you tried a 3rd party app like Polarbear which allows you to post to multiple social accounts simultaneously, while supporting voice dictation?

There are a number of them to choose from.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    08-28-14 08:42 PM
336 1234 ...