Apple is a publicly traded company, everyone will know how many they sold soon enough.
    That, and they love to boast.
    10-26-12 09:13 PM
    That, and they love to boast.
    ...and when you say "they", to whom do you refer specifically???
    10-26-12 09:29 PM
    [QUOTE=bitek;7696565]

would not this be the case with ipad now. ipad mini hardware is two year old so for obviously games optimized for ipad 4 will not perform well on ipad mini. hence developers will need to find sweat spot for games to run smooth on both tablets.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk
    You don't know much about game design, do you? That's not meant to offend, just an observation and a question based on your post.

But no, you're wrong. First of all, the CPU in the iPad mini might be two years old, but it has a dual core GPU, which is still better than many of the GPUs you find in current phones and tablets. The GPU also doesn't have to push as many pixels.

Think about it this way: the iPad 4 HAS to have an super powerful GPU, since it has almost 4 times as many pixels as the iPad mini. So even if the GPU in the iPad mini is four times slower than the one in the iPad 4, in reality they're equally strong because of the screen/pixel difference.

And about developers needing to find a sweet spot, her absolutely wrong. They can make a game that pushes the ipad4 100% (Which is something that won't happen for at least a year, since the CPU and GPU in it is such a powerful beast!) and still have it run just fine on an iPad mini. The trick is to put two kinds of textures (basically graphic surfaces and figures) in the game. A high resolution one for the iPad 3/4 and a lower resolution with less detail for iPad 2/mini. When you install the game, it checks what iPad it is, and deletes the textures and graphics it won't need. Presto! You have one game to download for both iPads, and it'll run equally excellent on both, without any performance loss or unnecessary files.

As yes, it's true that there are more games available on the Playbook now. But they're all ported versions of games originally developed for iOS, and the quality and graphics will always be much better in the original because of that. Try to compare them sidenbybside, and the difference will be noticeable.
    10-26-12 11:35 PM
    [QUOTE=CrackedBarry;7697567]

As yes, it's true that there are more games available on the Playbook now. But they're all ported versions of games originally developed for iOS, and the quality and graphics will always be much better in the original because of that. Try to compare them sidenbybside, and the difference will be noticeable.
    One ios developer would tend to disagree.

http://kalogirou.net/2012/08/25/impressed-by-the-new-blackberry-os-or-how-ios-ate-dust/

"To showcase what I mean, I recorded a video with the game launching in parallel on both my iPad 2 and my Playbook. Since on both platforms the game actually achieves 60fps its hard to notice the difference in game, but the launch sequence really shows the difference. The bottom line is that given 2 devices with almost identical hardware (the same Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9), running the same game, with the game optimized using the iOS device and only later ported to the Playbook, the Playbook manages to launch the app (load all textures, decompress them and upload to GPU, load sound effects, etc) 30% faster! In my book.. this is a huge achievement."
    bitek likes this.
    10-27-12 02:11 AM
    [QUOTE=narci;7697650]

One ios developer would tend to disagree.

http://kalogirou.net/2012/08/25/impr...-ios-ate-dust/

"To showcase what I mean, I recorded a video with the game launching in parallel on both my iPad 2 and my Playbook. Since on both platforms the game actually achieves 60fps its hard to notice the difference in game, but the launch sequence really shows the difference. The bottom line is that given 2 devices with almost identical hardware (the same Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9), running the same game, with the game optimized using the iOS device and only later ported to the Playbook, the Playbook manages to launch the app (load all textures, decompress them and upload to GPU, load sound effects, etc) 30% faster! In my book.. this is a huge achievement."
    that is because qnx is more efficient. just to give another simple example. windows 7 vs windows 8. windows 8 is just flying on my laptop. same hardware but my laptop feels so much better now.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    10-27-12 02:03 PM
    [QUOTE=RubberChicken76;7697269]

I have many gripes with my PlayBook such as its forever crashing browser. But gaming or its ability to play games that look awesome is not one of them.

And games have been shown to sell on the PlayBook. Bard's Tale turned a profit on it in 24 hours. Despite having a 2 million user base, Angry Birds was outselling BlackBerry apps with an 80 million userbase.
    wow. any source for that . this is awesome news. this will encourege other developers to take the bite

10-27-12 02:04 PM
    ...and when you say "they", to whom do you refer specifically???
    Apple of course. They are many things (positive), but modest is not one.
    10-27-12 03:19 PM
    I saw the Bard's Tale thing on Alex Kinsella's twitter. Angry Birds, I just remember seeing it in the top sold apps in App World, even though it was PlayBook only. It's actually still in there, though lower down the list.
    10-27-12 03:23 PM
    [QUOTE=bitek;7698357]

that is because qnx is more efficient. just to give another simple example.

Exactly how are you defining "efficiency", and what are you basing your conclusion on? I've seen a number of benchmarks (though few are available) showing them to be very close, though in some cases, notably browsing, the ipad 2 is far ahead.
    10-27-12 04:27 PM
    Apple of course. They are many things (positive), but modest is not one.
    .....RIGHT......you know.....corporations....aren't really capable of "loving" or "modesty". It's like anthropomorphizing the weather, or the sun, or the woods. I haven't seen anything particularly unusual about Apple's "behavior" that makes it much different from any corporation. It engages in the same hype and marketing as RIM or any other consumer oriented business. Nor do I think it fair to label the thousands of employees, or shareholders, with such a broad generalization either. To be quite honest, your statements seem like irrational nonsense said to gratify your own emotional need to insult or belittle Apple.

One can say such things about any business and have it "apply", because indeed, it has no meaning; then, among the less-thoughtful, people who have the same emotional reaction as you will wholeheartedly agree, and those who have the opposite will be inflamed.

Now if you were talking about LG or Sony, that would be different. Sony doesn't take garbage from people. Sony is straight-forward, honest, and sometimes, too blunt. Sony isn't afraid to go his own way, and in that sense, he's bold and not afraid of pressure, from peers or elsewhere. Having said all that Sony remains grounded,and never forgets where he came from. LG is just sweet. LG is bright, intelligent, and modest, but always with that fun spark. LG is demure, but can flash you that little covert wink, or smile, that makes your heart leap. LG would never boast, but she remains so confident with a deep inner strength.
    10-27-12 04:39 PM
    I think the whole outlook of QNX being "efficient" is based on what it's been used for so far-mostly pre-RIM. And the hopes of BB10 are based off of this-without truly knowing how it will run on mobile devices. One can definitely state the same for iOS since it's kernal has now been put through years of use.
    We'll know if QNX is efficient on BlackBerry when it's released and used among the masses.
    richardat likes this.
    10-27-12 04:46 PM
    I think the whole outlook of QNX being "efficient" is based on what it's been used for so far-mostly pre-RIM. And the hopes of BB10 are based off of this-without truly knowing how it will run on mobile devices. One can definitely state the same for iOS since it's kernal has now been put through years of use.
    We'll know if QNX is efficient on BlackBerry when it's released and used among the masses.
    Yes, I suspect it will be, but it's really hard to say/comapre in mobile, so if somebody has genuine data, I'd like to hear about it! If on the other hand it's just fanboy rhetoric, then of course, it's just useless noise.
    9of13 likes this.
    10-27-12 04:52 PM
    I hope a mod sees this dead horse and puts and buries it
    10-27-12 05:35 PM
    Unless people start being rude etc., no need to close it...

I hope a mod sees this dead horse and puts and buries it
    10-27-12 06:34 PM
189 ... 678