I am currently using a windows mobile device with a hosted exchange server which gives me over the air sysnc of email, contacts and calender. I am sick of windows mobile so i have just bought a Blackberry 8310. I would like to use it the same way as the windows mobile device ie email, calender and contacts sync over the air but i am totally confused what i need to do. I am with Vodafone in the UK and i have their browsing package which gives me 120 meg a month and thats what all my email etc came out of for the windows mobile phone. My question is do i need to pay more to use the blackberry ie will i need a specific blackberry plan as well as the browsing plan and how do i sync contacts etc when all i can get from vodafone is a BIS plan, i am confused???

Thanks guys
    Chris
    12-27-07 05:06 AM
    Everything your looking to do involves your company having a BES to utilize from, refer here for further explanation..

Lecture 2: BES & BIS: What's the Difference?
    12-27-07 06:25 PM
    I'm a BES admin, and I cant tell you how many times I see people setting on their work email using BIS.. it's annoying. You can tell the difference.. when setup on the BES, their signature says "Sent using Blackberry" whereas when it's on BIS, it says "Sent from Verizon Wireless Blackberry" or something along those lines.
    12-28-07 01:30 PM
    I'm a BES admin, and I cant tell you how many times I see people setting on their work email using BIS.. it's annoying. You can tell the difference.. when setup on the BES, their signature says "Sent using Blackberry" whereas when it's on BIS, it says "Sent from Verizon Wireless Blackberry" or something along those lines.
    If you're the BES Admin, then remove it. The user can remove it from the BIS site.
    12-28-07 02:31 PM
    remove what? If they aren't setup on the BES, I have no control over that handheld..
    12-28-07 02:54 PM
    Yeah, I would tread lightly on that one, it's an invasion of privacy. So long as policy permits the use of things like OWA that BIS can hook into, they are within their rights to use BIS on their personally supplied BlackBerry units.
    12-28-07 03:02 PM
    That's how Activesync syncs it's email on Windows Mobile devices..through OWA.. BIS is the same way.. as long as your company permits OWA, then you can use BIS to get your info into your Blackberry.

just use the icon that says "Personal Email Setup" or something along those lines..

Keep in mind that going this way, if your company has a policy about passwords, you'll have to change the password whenever it expires.

If you connect to BES, you dont have to worry about your password expiring.
    12-28-07 03:13 PM
    sniffs i was replying to ralarosa.

I'm familiar with how OWA works.

You can turn off OMA and keep OWA on, but you can't differentiate between what sorts of clients attach to OWA.
    12-28-07 06:38 PM
    sniffs i was replying to ralarosa.

I'm familiar with how OWA works.

You can turn off OMA and keep OWA on, but you can't differentiate between what sorts of clients attach to OWA.
    This may be true, however you can indicate from what domains are allowed to talk to OWA by using your firewall rules, and you do have a firewall?

We had an issue that people were getting around our policy and connecting their personal Blackberrys to OWA by way of the BIS, with a little research we discovered that if we restrict all traffic from the RIM network (216.9.240.0/20) to our OWA servers we could prevent them from connecting. Within days we had users calling in saying that they we having issues, and I am sure we had several others calling their carriers to complain.

Some may not agree with this approach, however we have policies that need to be in force and we are regulated. The end user may not see it that way but that is the way it is.

I get a little tired reading at these various sites of people looking for a solution to get around the restrictions companies have put in place. If you work for a Company and you need to have mobile access, ask for it and state your case. You may just get it. When you go behind their backs and **** off the IT staff, you are likely to get denied.
    03-10-08 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD