I'm currently rocking with a iPhone 4, now don't get me wrong i love this phone however as with most of you here i cannot escape my Blackberry addiction. I find that no matter how many apps i have at my disposal i get bored using the iPhone and am craving the delight of using a physical keyboard once more.

I have the opportunity to trade in the iPhone for either a Torch or 9780, i like things about both devices but i also have concerns about both.

Torch:
    - have used before but screen config was off, touch one point of the screen and it would register on the opposite side. Tried installing latest os and numerous battery pulls but no good - is this a common issue?
    - Torch appeals to me for its larger screen

9780:
    - like the form factor, easy one handed use
    - concerned re the widespread stuttering keyboard issue - again is this as common as the forum makes out or is it a case of those with no problems don't feel the need to comment?

So there we have it, ultimately would be happy with either but as i would be going 2nd hand (though mint condition) i will not have the option to replace like for like if there are issues.
    Any advice or comments welcome and thanks for taking the time to read this.
    02-20-11 12:04 PM
    I recently sold my torch for a 9780. I don't regret it. I always preferred the candybar form factor.

I felt like I was fumbling around too much with the torch because of the slider. With the 9780 I can just pick it up and use it. The shortcut keys is what really makes the bb quick and accessible. Or you can always wait for the Bold Touch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 12:12 PM
    I had a 9700 and although I loved it, I love the Torch even more, I like having the keyboard options and face zero problems with the touch screen registering in the incorrect place. I also like being able to navigate the entire screen with the track pad if I feel like it. The bigger screen was the selling point for me, and don't think I could go back.
    9780 is a great phone as well, but for me, it wasn't worth buying as my 9700 is practically the same.

Good luck with your decision and welcome back to Crackberry
    02-20-11 12:32 PM
    If you miss the physical keyboard, there's no replacing BB's candybar models. The Torch's keyboard is passable, but nothing like the Bold 9000 or the better Curves. I haven't seen anything about the stuttering keyboard issue, but then I never visit those device-specific forums, either. But I'd be surprised if it really were a wide-spread problem.

On the other hand, if you've gotten used to the touch screen and just need the physical keyboard for certain long text-typing tasks, touch screen sensitivity and accuracy has been dramatically improved on the Torch in the latest OS release (.450). If you're still having a problem, I'd guess you have bad hardware there.

I still miss the superior keyboard of my Bold 9000, but not enough to give up the display, touch screen and browsing experience of the Torch. But I also hear what hnguyen is saying ... if you can hold out for about another 6 months or so, the Bold Touch might be offering the best of both worlds.
    02-20-11 12:40 PM
    I love my Torch. I don't even use the touchscreen. I completely use the physical keyboard/trackpad. I find that I just prefer the larger screen. However, I'm considering the new Curve (Apollo?) if it is offered with AT&T. While I adore the Torch and have had zero issues with it, I'm craving the candybar form factor as it would just be easier to pick up and use instead of always having to slide up to access the keyboard.
    02-20-11 01:00 PM
    Hold on to your i4 and wait for the next generation of Blackberrys coming in the next few months. If you are desperate to get rid of your i4, sell it and buy a cheap used Blackberry, save the rest of the money for the Dakota or Monza.
    02-20-11 01:02 PM
    I love my Torch. I don't even use the touchscreen. I completely use the physical keyboard/trackpad. I find that I just prefer the larger screen. However, I'm considering the new Curve (Apollo?) if it is offered with AT&T. While I adore the Torch and have had zero issues with it, I'm craving the candybar form factor as it would just be easier to pick up and use instead of always having to slide up to access the keyboard.
    This is what i think it will come down to, i know i'll predominantly use the keyboard so sliding the phone up and down all day may become tiresome.

Thanks for your comments so far
    02-20-11 01:47 PM
    If sliding the Torch open and closed all the time is a concern, then simply don't! The touchscreen is awesome.

I use my touchscreen w/reduced KB 99.9% of the time.
    02-20-11 02:46 PM
    Neither. Go with Android or iPhone or wait for the new BB's coming this year.
    K Bear likes this.
    02-20-11 03:41 PM
    I wouldn't do it if I were you. I would just wait for the next gen of blackberry's..
    02-20-11 03:52 PM
    I had a torch. And it was good but it didn't really feel like a real BlackBerry. I know that's weird but it is what I think. I traded it for the 9780 and lo and behold it had the stuttering issue. And I don't really mind. I still rather the 9780. Great battery life compared to the torch. I'd get the 9780 i

02-20-11 11:47 PM
    Neither. Go with Android or iPhone or wait for the new BB's coming this year.
    Was this supposed to be helpful? OP said he has an iPhone, and he posted because he thinks he misses a physical keyboard. Not too many Androids fit that bill, and he asked for opinions about two specific BB's.
    02-21-11 12:20 AM
    I don't think you could go wrong with the 9780 but, as others have said, you might want to see what the new devices this year are like.
    02-21-11 10:49 AM
    I would wait two seconds if you could. There are some nice rumored devices coming out with over a gig in CPU power and that would be the way to go.

02-21-11 11:26 AM
    How long is your opportunity to trade in your iPhone good till?
    I agree with those saying you should wait if you can. The second quarter of this year is rumored to show some very cool BlackBerrys.
    02-21-11 11:32 AM
    Thanks for all your feedback guys I am notoriously impatient so have plunged straight in now with a 9780.
    Overall the appeal of a traditional BB form won me over.

02-21-11 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD