i need some advice on a new phone. i am trying to decide between the bold 9700 and this may be blasphemy but the iphone 3gs. i like both phones for different reasons. i feel like the iphone may be more user friendly but that may be a result of me being unfamiliar with a bb. i'm not interested in the iphone for hoarding apps and playing games. i want a phone that is easy to use and very functional. i would really appreciate you guys that have more knowledge on the subject to give me some pros/cons of each and what each would offer that the other couldn't. thanks
    08-20-10 09:48 AM
    Hi,
    i'm on my first bb and all I can tell you that I absolutely love my 9700.

First you gotta make some choices? Do you like touch or qwerty phones?

Do you text a lot?

Do you use your phone in work related matters?

I'm on my first BB and i really can tell you that is very user friendly. Different from the previously owned but very effective and i guess it�s going to be hard switching from this platform to another...
    08-20-10 10:01 AM
    pros for the BB phones:

Messaging is simply AWESOME. you get Blackberry Messenger which has no peer when it comes to messaging. only downside on that is if you have no friends with a BB, you can't contact them through BBM.

BB's have great screens--bright enough to be usable in direct sunlight, great color saturation and deep black levels

BB keyboards are awesome ( I have a Storm, so that's just an onscreen keyboard, but is much nicer for me than typing on an iPhone )

Sound: The BB's win hands down for speaker volume and clarity. The iphone speaker is wimpy.

BB's have removable batteries.

CON:
    Browsing is not so great on BB's, but the new webkit browser is making that less of an issue.

Having said that, lots of people love their iphones, despite antenna issues, and the closed nature of the OS, per Steve Jobs.

It comes down to priorities. If you value messaging a PHONE functions over apps and "cool factor", then the choice is BB. Otherwise, an iPhone may suit you better, but be prepared for AT&T service issues. iPhones are WELL KNOWN to drop calls. My Storm NEVER EVER drops calls and Verizon coverage has been great in 8 states that I've used my cell phones in.
    08-20-10 10:04 AM
    I started off with a BB. I had a Curve 8310 then switched to a Bold 9000. From there I got caught up in the craze of the iPhone hype so I went to the 3G.

Now the iPhone was great for entertainment purposes, ie apps, games. I had issues with making calls on the phone and had numerous dropped ccalls and people on the other end telling me they coudnt hear me clearly.

Which brings me back to Blackberry. I knew going back that I was going to get good service and a phone that allows me to make calls!

The Torch 9800 is now my new phone and I must say that it is an amazing device. Email as we all know as BB addicts is and always has been great. The new OS is amazing. The fact that this phone has a hard keyboard and soft was a key factor for me.

Also, customization is also a good touch with BBs. You can't change tones for specific contacts for texts and emails on the iPhone just ringers.

Really your preference. But I for one hav e tried the iPhone and had FUN with it but as far as what we use them for, making calls, I couldn't stand it anymore. Now I use it for entertainment as an iPod Touch.

Hope this helps you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 10:23 AM
    I tried the iPhone 3g.... was pretty lame compared to blackberry... I'm not sure what it is about blackberry, but the only phone I would choose over it is possibly the htc
    08-20-10 01:19 PM
    I recommend an S2...awesome device. However I just messed around with my buddies droid incredible and it was nice. He is a former BB user and likes the droid a little better. Browser speed is awesome. The only down side he said is battery life. I still prefer storm 2.

08-20-10 08:37 PM
    iPhone. You won't regret it. It offers much more than Blackberry. Application are the key to a useful tool - the iPhone. You can do as many things as you can on your iPhone as Blackberry. At 16, a Blackberry is kind of weird to own unless you text a lot.
    08-20-10 11:44 PM
    Well if you're thinking iPhone then you must be on ATT. It sounds like you want communication more than anything. Check out both the 9700 and the 9800. Both will get you through the day without recharging the battery, and the 9700 will likely get you 2 days without recharging. Text, emails, and IM's are fast and easy. Voice quality is good also.
    Because BlackBerry uses data compression, you may be able to opt for a cheaper data plan without risking going over your limit.
    Operating a BlackBerry is not hard to learn, especially for a generation that has grown up with high technology. If you get a BlackBerry, and get stuck, there is the CrackBerry 101 series to help you out. Or just ask in the forums here on CrackBerry, its what we're here for!

08-21-10 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD