I am running verizon BIS on an 8830....and I love my Gmail more than life itself. What I don't love is the Gmail app for BB's (even with the new updated version it's pathetically slow and bothersome). And because I run BIS, the IMAP options for Gmail don't really seem to apply, unless I am mistaken.

A few BIS/OS updates ago, Yahoo mail was given 2 way sync capabilities...do we ever see that happening with Gmail as well? In an effective, true sync way?

I just don't know how to really utilize Gmail on my BB otherwise in the way I'd like to...obviously in my dream world Gmail would be very BES'esque in it's syncing capabilities, and there have been strides (i.e. G-cal's sync with BB Cal) but I just am at my end of the rope with it.

Any advice/suggestions/info I'm unaware of?!
    06-04-08 02:36 PM
    Are you using the gmail app.? Gmail Mobile
    06-04-08 02:45 PM
    yeah and i dont like it. it just doesnt seem to work efficiently in my mind. once you hit 'send' it can take up to 8-9 seconds to send, it stalls, etc. it isn't efficient in my mind...

am i just being unrealistic?
    06-04-08 02:47 PM
    i am not sure about you, but mine works fine. All i did was install it sign on once and that was it
    it notifys me when i get my mail and when i send mail, yea it takes about 5-7 seconds but at least it goes through.
    06-04-08 02:51 PM
    Using the pop serrings of gmail to sync with your bb, it should push mail instantly. However, if you want full sync, you need to use IMAP. Check the 'How-to' forum for a guide on this.

Note: IMAP has a delay in pushing the mail to your bb, 10-20 minutes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 02:52 PM
    It is annoying that Yahoo is ahead of Gmail in this area; if Yahoo had IMAP and free accounts...well, that's another topic. I'm using the Gmail app to get my mail (the ~10-min push delay doesn't bother me; plus if I'm reading mail at my computer I'm not also getting notifiers and unread messages on my BlackBerry) but the BIS mail to send it. I have my side button mapped to "compose" so it's easier and faster that way. It seems Gmail is really trying to improve; I hope that some day this stuff will work the way it intuitively should.
    06-04-08 04:34 PM
    yep pretty pathetic is g-mail mobile. the only way to use it is by simply setting it up as a personal e-mail account on your bis. i feel your pain.
    06-04-08 04:41 PM
    Using the pop serrings of gmail to sync with your bb, it should push mail instantly. However, if you want full sync, you need to use IMAP. Check the 'How-to' forum for a guide on this.

Note: IMAP has a delay in pushing the mail to your bb, 10-20 minutes

I only notice a delay with just IMAP. I have POP3 and IMAP enabled and get all my mail pretty much instantly.

I really only use the gmail app to archive on the go.
    06-04-08 04:53 PM
    I'm using it and I get instant access and sending. I had to set up an account with the BIS email to get it working correctly.
    I wouldn't say that it works as well as I'd like it to, and what works even worse is the google calendar sync!
    06-04-08 04:58 PM
    I am running verizon BIS on an 8830....and I love my Gmail more than life itself. What I don't love is the Gmail app for BB's (even with the new updated version it's pathetically slow and bothersome). And because I run BIS, the IMAP options for Gmail don't really seem to apply, unless I am mistaken.

A few BIS/OS updates ago, Yahoo mail was given 2 way sync capabilities...do we ever see that happening with Gmail as well? In an effective, true sync way?

I just don't know how to really utilize Gmail on my BB otherwise in the way I'd like to...obviously in my dream world Gmail would be very BES'esque in it's syncing capabilities, and there have been strides (i.e. G-cal's sync with BB Cal) but I just am at my end of the rope with it.

Any advice/suggestions/info I'm unaware of?!
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm constantly switching between regular BIS setup/IMAP setup/gmail app to see which one I like better, and they each have their shortfalls. I really liked the gmail app, but the notifications are totally inconsistent. Sometimes I wasn't getting notified at all of new messages.

What I don't get is why someone hasn't created an app for blackberry that takes advantage of IMAP IDLE, which GMail DOES support! I had Chatter on my Treo, and that worked so, so, so, SO much better than any gmail implementation for blackberry I've seen yet!
    06-04-08 07:49 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm constantly switching between regular BIS setup/IMAP setup/gmail app to see which one I like better, and they each have their shortfalls. I really liked the gmail app, but the notifications are totally inconsistent. Sometimes I wasn't getting notified at all of new messages.

What I don't get is why someone hasn't created an app for blackberry that takes advantage of IMAP IDLE, which GMail DOES support! I had Chatter on my Treo, and that worked so, so, so, SO much better than any gmail implementation for blackberry I've seen yet!

Yup, chatter is really nice- except for it was designed and supported basically by a one man shop. It was full of bugs, and there was seemingly a new patch released every couple of weeks. No thanks. I much prefer having RIM's support behind a program, but they need to pull their heads out too and get this deal worked out with Gmail. I mean, they did it with Yahoo, so it can be done with Gmail. There is probably some small setting that someone needs to fix, and then it would be up and running.
    06-06-08 02:13 PM
    Yup, chatter is really nice- except for it was designed and supported basically by a one man shop. It was full of bugs, and there was seemingly a new patch released every couple of weeks. No thanks. I much prefer having RIM's support behind a program, but they need to pull their heads out too and get this deal worked out with Gmail. I mean, they did it with Yahoo, so it can be done with Gmail. There is probably some small setting that someone needs to fix, and then it would be up and running.

You may have an older perspective on Chatter... You're right that it wasn't supported, but that program was a rock for me. It never crashed, never showed any sign of a bug, and worked consistently ALL the time. Probably the most stable part of my Treo, and its email functionality was unparalelled in my view.

But we're in agreement on the Gmail/Blackberry issue. I honestly think it's a matter of time. If not, they better wake their a$$es up over at RIM.
    06-07-08 04:11 PM
    You may have an older perspective on Chatter... You're right that it wasn't supported, but that program was a rock for me. It never crashed, never showed any sign of a bug, and worked consistently ALL the time. Probably the most stable part of my Treo, and its email functionality was unparalelled in my view.

But we're in agreement on the Gmail/Blackberry issue. I honestly think it's a matter of time. If not, they better wake their a$$es up over at RIM.
    No, my persepective is fresh, actually. When I first had Chatter, it didn't support the new Centro. They had to come up with a patch for that. Then, it didn't support Gmail when they released IMAP. They had to come out with a patch for that. Then, there were all sorts of little bugs and such that they had to fix after that point. The guy that wrote the program went to work for Palm, and doesn't "officially" support the product, but managed to squeeze in some patches (most likely because he is a Palm Centro user that wants a good email program for himself, so he may as well release his bug fixes). At the end of the day, I really liked the functionality of Chatter, but I just didn't completely trust it, and I fell out of love with the Palm platform. If Blackberry and Gmail could come up with a solution- now we'd have something really special.
    06-07-08 04:25 PM
    Yahoo works smoother but I installed the Gmail mobile app and it works...not the best but it works. I LOVE how smooth Yahoo works though, I have my personal email account with Yahoo so it's great
    06-07-08 05:03 PM
    Gmail mobile app works for you? I don't get it... notifications for me using the gmail mobile app are sporadic at best. 5 minutes one time, one hour the next. Too annoying, I'd rather just use BIS.

Yeah I like the Yahoo functionality, and desperately want that in Gmail. I'm going to start using my Yahoo address for more stuff...
    06-08-08 12:15 PM
    Gmail mobile works for me. It's not incredibly fast like yahoo, but it works.

06-08-08 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD