Do I even try to fight this uphill battle?

My parents have iphones and unlimited data plans for no reason whatsoever. They can afford it and don't use their phones for more than 5 minutes a day and are clearly wasting money.

Do I even attempt this?
    05-02-15 08:19 PM
    Thats a hard one kinda. My parents just switched from BlackBerry to iphone 2 years ago and now they make fun of me and my BlackBerry. Lol.

Show them how productive they can be with BlackBerry. Organizing their day, tasks. Watch the conference for the passport or classic. They go over features of why its better than an android or iphone.

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    05-02-15 08:23 PM
    It's always hard to get people to change, specially when they get used to it. Have you considered if they had BlackBerry in the past? What are really their needs? I wouldn't bother, but wouldn't give Android either.

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    05-02-15 08:24 PM
    Why? If they don't use their iPhones is there a reason they are going to use a Blackberry more?
    05-02-15 08:39 PM

My parents have iphones and unlimited data plans for no reason whatsoever. They can afford it and don't use their phones for more than 5 minutes a day and are clearly wasting money.

Do I even attempt this?
    I fought the battle and won with both parents moving from an iPhone 5S to the Z10. Of course I helped setup the devices for them. Since then, my father and sister are on the Z30 and the two siblings bought my mother a Passport for Mothers Day this year a little early.

Our major hurdle was with imessage. This is supposed to be fixed with the new way to deregister from the Apple website. All (dad, mom, sister) were on the iPhone since probably the second version and bought into each dumb upgrade.

It took a lot of time moving everything, music, etc, but I was all in since they were willing. At this time I was able to outright buy the Z10 off contact for $199 so price was a no brainer. My father had two iPhones and originally left the Z10 downstairs at night. After about a month, I noticed that the iPhone was the one downstairs lol. Told him that didn't take long.

They love the OS. Especially now with 10.3.1. So no, if you have a BlackBerry 10 to demo I definitely don't see it as a lost cause!

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul and donemt like this.
    05-02-15 09:29 PM
    Sounds like they might be just as well off with a cheap feature phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:26 AM
    Why? If they don't use their iPhones is there a reason they are going to use a Blackberry more?
    I was going to ask the same thing. These threads literally make no sense.

Posted via CB10
    JosevuN3, donemt and JeepBB like this.
    05-03-15 10:27 AM
    If they are happy with it why change them?

I did get my parents to switch by buying them a Z30 and a Z10, but thats only because their former phones really weren't working out(Yikes on those Samsung Galaxy Ace's). If my parents were happy with what they had why would I risk switching them to something they may not?

For the record though, they are extremely happy with their new phones.
    05-03-15 12:42 PM
    If you get them to switch you are volunteering to provide unlimited technical support because they will always come to you first with questions.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:52 PM
    While you are at it, get them to switch to your favorite brand of toothpaste as well. I can never for the life of me figure out why this is an issue.

You asked for opinions. Mine is that as long as it is their money, leave them to spend it as they wish.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 06:54 PM
    If you get them to switch you are volunteering to provide unlimited technical support because they will always come to you first with questions.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, so true. My whole family comes to me for tech support. My bad for getting them all on BB10 lol. They are all happy though and finding new features all of the time. Now I just have to get my sister's Z30 on 10.3.1 when I see her.

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    05-03-15 10:51 PM
    So are you wanting go get them to switch because of what you want or what they want?
    05-03-15 10:57 PM
    So are you wanting go get them to switch because of what you want or what they want?
    I'll say that in my situation I was being a fanboy and switched my sister and parents because that's what I wanted. I did NOT switch them blindly though. I explained all of the great features of BB10 and made sure that the apps that my mother and sister used were available.

My father is a business communicator and rarely uses apps. I was surprised that all my sister wanted was instagram. She likes igrann better than instagram and still uses igrann after upgrading her Z10 to a Z30 (that was her choice without my coercion). My mom used a lot more apps and they all worked fine on BB10 so she switched as well to the Z10 based on my comparison of iOS versus BB10.

She is now glad to finally be off of Apple's impossible to switch to another device crap with music and imessage. This completely turned her off and she is now rocking an AT&T Passport for the large screen and thinks that the iPhone 6+ is ridiculous looking lol. Her Fitbit works great, along with Pandora, Weight Watchers, and others. She recently said she will be disappointed if a Passport 2 is not released as she loves the larger screen and the physical keyboard for accuracy as she is getting older.

All in all in my situation I was just promoting BlackBerry, but in the end they took my advice with the initial switch to the Z10 and decided to upgrade to the Z30 and Passport on their own. With BB10 it's a bit different as there aren't 500 commercials a day advertising their devices so user experience (my experience) was trusted.

I left after the Storm and used both iOS for a short time then Android. I would have never advised them to get the Z10 from the start if there was a crucial missing feature for them. Having them stay with BlackBerry was icing on the cake.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and BerrySoul like this.
    05-03-15 11:46 PM
    Now there's a nice warm fuzzies story! Once again proving the only thing keeping people from buying BlackBerry is lack of information.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    05-04-15 06:11 AM
    I have all my family on BBM, so that might be a first step

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    05-04-15 07:01 AM
    Iphones are easy to use as they are simplistic.

I mean you can even share a picture from the camera app to instagram.

So I think an iPhone suits them just fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 07:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Strongly disagree.

iOS is less simplistic/intuitive compared to OS 10.

Little things like
    - the HUB
    - reaching the Quick Settings and Settings with the same move
    - a File Manager

are making OS 10 much easier to handle for older people.

I don't want to say that iOS is counter-intuitive, but there are annoying restrictions, like if someone sends you a funny ringtone via e-mail and you can't immediately store it one the phone.
    Older people love to share funny content like everyone else.
    05-04-15 09:43 AM
    Depends on your level of support needed and willing. I gave a Q5 to the lady that cleans my apartment and now I'm her tech support. If I had my time back, I wouldn't have mentioned anything.

I did give my parents a Z10. Haven't heard anything, though I think they only use if as needed on vacations.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 02:49 PM

Do I even attempt this?
    Insofar as I know, irrespective of the carrier, the cost for an unlimited data plan is the same whether you use an iPhone or a BlackBerry. You might want to rethink why you feel it is important that your parents change phones...
    05-04-15 04:58 PM
    Maybe let them try a BB10 phone out? I usually hand my phones down to my mom but after giving her one of my Androids she hasn't wanted to switch BB10. There is a learning curve with the gesture based OS and not everyone likes it. I say let them try it but if they still want to stay with the iPhone then let them.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure exactly how it works on the iPhone, but you can do the same thing on the BlackBerry, sharing to iGrann. Pretty sure Android and Windows devices can do the similar thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 07:10 PM
    Not sure exactly how it works on the iPhone, but you can do the same thing on the BlackBerry, sharing to iGrann. Pretty sure Android and Windows devices can do the similar thing.

Posted via CB10
    I ment to say can't! Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 09:26 AM