Amazon currently has the Z10 for $50 on AT&T. Both my wife and I are looking to upgrade. It seems like a great deal. Has anyone bought phones from them that can offer any advice? I've heard that you technically sign a contract with Amazon as well as AT&T and that you can be stuck with fees from Amazon. Is this true and what changes and cause them to hit you with a fee? Currently we have the 200MB BIS plan. I'm thinking of initially sticking with that since we primarily are on WiFi most of the time. Would I be able to change the plan without getting hit with a fee from Amazon? Any advice someone can offer would be appreciated. This deal is just too good to pass up (but not quite too good to be true). I can't wait to get the Z10 and I don't want to wait and find that the deal has expired.
    06-15-13 08:47 PM
    I just purchased the $50 Z10 for my wife from amazon. She was upgrade eligible on At&t. No issues or problems, nothing sketchy.

It did ask me to select a data plan, which I did even though she already had one. But because she already had one they one i selected during checkout was not applied si my plan did not change.

Great price

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    06-15-13 09:15 PM
    Also the "contract" signed with amazon basically says that you will not cancel your account with the carrier for 18 months (I think) or you will have to pay full price for the phone.

lactose likes this.
    06-15-13 09:18 PM
    Thanks. I've ordered new Z10's for both the wife and I. We've been with AT&T for years so there is little chance we will be cancelling any account. I left the data plan as is (200 MB BIS) even though I know I'll probably need to change it. I'm thinking of getting a Mobile Share plan for the family. I'm just cautious about changing the kids grandfathered unlimited data plans.
    06-17-13 07:40 AM
    B-Bob. You do not need BIS but, you do want LTE. I'm pretty sure you will end up changing your data plan. My lady and I are on the shared plan with 4GB per month. I've never even exceeded 1GB.
    06-17-13 08:55 AM
    Well, we encountered the first problem and we don't even have the phones yet. Apparently, they activated the new SIMs, thereby deactivating the ones in our current phones. The new phones are supposed to arrive tomorrow so we are out of service for a day and a half. From what the AT&T tech told me, he could try to reactivate our current SIM (which might not work anyway) but he would have to deactivate the new ones in the process. We probably only encountered this because the new phones take a different SIM card size so we needed new ones.

I can only hope that once we get the new phones everything goes smooth. I already loaded Blackberry Link last night in preparation for the switch .
    06-18-13 01:47 PM
    Oh that sucks. We didn't have that problem and we are also on At&t. I think we had the phone 3 days after ordering and didn't have any issues with our old sim cards being de-activated early.

Sorry that happened. Good luck!
    06-18-13 02:04 PM
    When I got home from work yesterday the box was sitting on the porch - no signature required even though the SIMs were activated. Not cool, Amazon! Not cool at all.

I had only minor trouble getting the data switched over from our old phones. It seems the computer didn't find them until I had at least gone thru the little start-up tutorial. I called and switched us to one of AT&T's Mobile Share plans. I'm not sure if that is related, but my wife and I can't seem to BBM with the new phones. Other than that, so far, I'm already getting used to the Z10.
    06-20-13 10:16 AM
    It's helpful to hear of actual experiences like this.
    I was thinking of buying the phone from Amazon but now will not because:
    -Being asked to pay full price for a phone when you terminate at 17 months is abusive IMO
    -Having the SIM activated (thus having your service disconnected without warning) three days before your phone arrives is in no way acceptable
    -Leaving an activated phone on a door step is unacceptable

I do a lot of business with Amazon, mostly ok. But I wonder sometimes if it is not an experiment to see just how much abuse the American customer will tolerate. Fortunately for businesses, it is quite a lot.
    06-20-13 11:21 AM
    I don't like that they left the box on your doorstep. But I'm not sure that is amazon's fault. Last time I get a phone direct from AT&t they did the same thing. It was in my mailbox. No signature required.

My amazon experience was good and I would upgrade another phone through amazon. The $50 price is a great deal. I see now that Costco is also offering the $50 Z10. So if you are a Costco member, grab one from there.

06-20-13 11:40 AM