Save yourself a lot of frustration by realizing a few things:

1. No matter what you decide to buy -- whether it be a BlackBerry, Android device, iPhone, WinMo, Palm, etc -- there will be a better, faster, more robust, feature rich device out there in a few months.

2. The average contract lasts for two years*, while the average smartphone is usually relevant for about 8 months, 12 if you're REALLY lucky. Chances are, if you plan to keep your device through the life of a contract, at least 2 new generations of devices will be introduced during that time.

3. No matter what you pay for it, it will be available at a cheaper price in the near future....but if you wait for the price to go down, it will most likely be because some new device has taken its place at the top list.

4. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that one smartphone maker (i.e. RIM) needs to make drastic improvements, then complain when they make improvements and their newest OS doesn't work on the older devices that were never designed to run it.

5. When a new device or OS comes out, and you aren't eligible to get it in your current situation, nobody owes you anything, not even an explanation. If you want the "latest and greatest", then you should avoid long-term contracts or be willing to pay considerably more to upgrade.

*On most major carriers in the US, if you want to qualify for a discount price on the phone
    08-11-10 09:53 PM
    Good post. Great info for present smartphone owners as well.
    08-11-10 09:58 PM
    Good post. Great info for present smartphone owners as well.
    +1. I think a lot of people forget/don't realize how fast technology moves then they get pissed because 6 months later something new came out.
    08-11-10 10:01 PM
    Great post but you forgot one thing.

(A). No matter what device you leave or migrate to, there is no need to
    create a thread announcing it. NO ONE CARES!!!

Posted from my phone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 10:32 PM
    Excellent post.
    08-11-10 10:38 PM

+1!!

Also

(A)(i) subsequent posts in every thread about how great your new phone is and how stupid another person is for still buying a phone you passed on should be kept to ones self
    08-11-10 10:52 PM

Couldn't agree more! If I ever leave Blackberry, it will be a silent departure from Crackberry as well. Everyone should share this courtesy
    08-11-10 10:52 PM
    Couldn't agree more! If I ever leave Blackberry, it will be a silent departure from Crackberry as well. Everyone should share this courtesy

I disagree here, should you leave Blackberry as a Phone you should not have to leave Crackberry, as your insight into helping a person transition into a blackberry from your current device could be valuable, or in helping a person decide which phone to buy, you'd have experience in multiple phones.

BUT as a Blackberry alumni one should not be making new threads at every chance to dis the blackberry user base, or to promote their phone of choice, nor should they look to post every news link they can find to support what ever belief they have about an inferiority of Blackberry's
    If you remain with affection as an alumni, a booster if you will, there is no issue, if you remain with malice in your heart, you should take your leave.
    08-11-10 11:08 PM
    This is brilliant op and it should be a sticky somewhere.
    08-11-10 11:19 PM
    Splendid work here. I agree with the suggestion that this should be made into a sticky. This in invaluable to all smartphone users. Well done!!!
    08-12-10 07:44 AM
    If we had a kudos or thanks button I'd hit it twice!
    It is sad that we have to have a post that should be common sense
    I'm gonna put the link for this thread in my autotext for replying to the whiny threads

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 08:05 AM
    Here, here ...
    08-12-10 08:08 AM
    It just seems that every time something new comes out, a lot of people feel entitled to complain that they deserve some kind of compensation...and then "threaten" to leave the carrier/manufacturer (as if any of us here really care!).

In no way do I want to get into a platform war, as that is irrelevant here, but let's face it, the market is evolving fast in EVERY product line, you can't avoid it. I'm also in no way saying that there are never reasons to complain, far from it; I just don't think that advances in technology or new devices are one of them -- It should be looked at as a good thing!
    08-12-10 08:09 AM

4. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that one smartphone maker (i.e. RIM) needs to make drastic improvements, then complain when they make improvements and their newest OS doesn't work on the older devices that were never designed to run it.
    + infinity and beyond
    08-12-10 08:13 AM
    I've always thought that carriers could make a some money by having some kind of "premium" smartphone plan option available, that includes frequent upgrades. Pay a little extra $$$ every month, but then by eligible for hardware discounts whenever a new product is released. Everyone is happy, the carriers still make their money, and the customer has the satisfaction of knowing they'll always be ahead of the technology curve, or at least have that option. Unfortunately, I don't know any carrier that offers something like that.
    08-12-10 08:23 AM
    And so The Doctrine of Truth was adopted. You realize that only leaves people asking legitimate questions, being responded to, by people with knowledge and answers. I'm not sure I can comprehend. It is a novel concept. Count me in!

08-12-10 09:05 AM

+1!!

Also

(A)(i) subsequent posts in every thread about how great your new phone is and how stupid another person is for still buying a phone you passed on should be kept to ones self
    +1 to both!
    Finally someone who thinks like me! lol I couldnt agree more
    Last edited by priyab89; 08-12-10 at 09:13 AM.
    08-12-10 09:06 AM
    I agree with 1-3 but not necessarily 4/5. Android has their phones updated well into their lifespans. Also, what are we really asking for? A smartphone web browser and less battery pulls. That's not asking the world.

We have to blame the people who purchase an outdated phone like the Torch. That thing can't survive very long and won't be able to handle OS 7. I once made this mistake too and won't again. RIM leaves their customers out to dry - Storm, Tour, Curve 8500, the list goes on.

08-12-10 09:15 AM
    Kudos! Bravo! I concur with previous posts that not only should this be made a sticky but is there any way to make it required reading for all new (and existing) Crackberry members?

08-12-10 09:16 AM
    I think this thread is great. Thank you for putting it together!
    08-12-10 09:35 AM
    I agree with 1-3 but not necessarily 4/5. Android has their phones updated well into their lifespans. Also, what are we really asking for? A smartphone web browser and less battery pulls. That's not asking the world.

We have to blame the people who purchase an outdated phone like the Torch. That thing can't survive very long and won't be able to handle OS 7. I once made this mistake too and won't again. RIM leaves their customers out to dry - Storm, Tour, Curve 8500, the list goes on.

Android phones that were release about a year ago (like the Droid Eris) will not be getting an official version of the latest OS (2.2, or "Froyo")...just as the Tour will not be getting BB OS 6, and have already been replaced by newer devices.

Also, this really says nothing about how you may feel about a manufacturer's current offerings, which platform is better, what features are lacking, etc. The point is, something better will come along, regardless of what platform you choose.

Everybody has the right to make their own decision about what's out there "right now". If you don't think the 9800 measures up to the current Android devices, then by all means, don't buy it -- but that really wasn't the point of this.
    08-12-10 09:43 AM
    Sure I understand. Your last two seemed to imply people shouldn't complain about the BB.

Although when you pay 200-500 for a device, I feel you are owed some software support, at least up to a year.

08-12-10 11:03 AM
    It's sad that these things have to be explained to some people.
    08-12-10 11:08 AM
    +1 for sure
    08-12-10 11:12 AM

Although when you pay 200-500 for a device, I feel you are owed some software support, at least up to a year.

I do agree with this 100%, but there is a difference between "software support" and "being capable of running the latest OS version".

I'm not saying BB leads the way in this department either...that's a completely different argument I don't want to get into.
    08-12-10 11:33 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD