My employer asked to add their corporate email to my personal blackberry. I have several emails that come into my blackberyy - personal, school and employer. By virtue of adding the employer email can they see my personal texts? I'm getting the impresion they may be privy to text communications that I have had.

If yes, how would I determine this is occuring? Will eliminating the employer email to my personal blackberry solve the spying or do I need to do something else?
    01-26-10 09:38 AM
    Not necessarily. If this is your PERSONAL BB, than you have the BIS, and all they want to do is add your email to the list that you can access. You can do it yourself by adding the work email account on your BIS page. But I would say NO if they want to add a BES to YOUR personal phone. Unless they're paying for it- if they want to do that, then tell them to give you a separate phone. I did and they said 'never mind'.
    01-26-10 10:04 AM
    No, you are on a BIS account. Blackberry Internet Server they cannot track you SMS/ or BBM for that matter. If you are a BES account, which would have to be a compnay supplied BB and company supplied cell phone carrier then yes, they can track it.

but being you are on your personal phone, on your personal carrier... i wouldn't worry about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 10:07 AM
    How did ask you to add it? Does it involve the Enterprise Activation?

If it does, then you ar on their BES, subject to their IT policy. At that point, while your BIS emails are OK, SMS, PIN messegaes and phone logs could be looged in the server.
    01-26-10 10:21 AM
    Ok, I have a personal BB that IS on my company's BES (they pay the difference) but on a different carrier (don't know if that matters, but I'd thought I'd add it in) - how much can they see?
    01-26-10 10:49 AM
    Ok, I have a personal BB that IS on my company's BES (they pay the difference) but on a different carrier (don't know if that matters, but I'd thought I'd add it in) - how much can they see?
    Short answer: Everything

Longer answer: it depends on what they choose to log/monitor, not everything is logged by default, and even stuff that is can be turned off.
    01-26-10 11:01 AM
    So technically Bis they cant see your info and Bes means that they can see your info....correct?
    01-26-10 11:02 AM
    Short answer: Everything

Longer answer: it depends on what they choose to log/monitor, not everything is logged by default, and even stuff that is can be turned off.
    Thanks...I'd figured as much but it's good to actually know the answer.
    01-26-10 11:03 AM
    They can control every aspect of your BB because of BES. We have a few employees here with personal BB's on the company BES and the IT guy said he can see everything...not that he would, but it is possible. The thing is, it's your "personal" BB if the company asked you to be on their BES you can do what ever you want it's yours. The only downside, if you have intimate details you don't want anyone to see..email, text, BBM etc, it's open to the IT people. Hopefully they arent idiots nd wouldn't spy.
    01-26-10 11:05 AM
    So technically Bis they cant see your info and Bes means that they can see your info....correct?
    True, because a BES is owned by people who run it (ie your employer) and BIS is owned/run by your carrier (ie Verizon, ATT, TMobile, Sprint, etc)
    01-26-10 11:09 AM
    Yeah they could potentially see everything.
    01-26-10 02:51 PM
    My employer asked to add their corporate email to my personal blackberry. I have several emails that come into my blackberyy - personal, school and employer. By virtue of adding the employer email can they see my personal texts? I'm getting the impresion they may be privy to text communications that I have had.

If yes, how would I determine this is occuring? Will eliminating the employer email to my personal blackberry solve the spying or do I need to do something else?
    Just putting a corporate email on your device doesn't give them full access to your phone. And it doesn't make it a member of their BES program. It's just pushed email to your phone. I have my corporate email on my phone, and my company has a BES program... they cannot access my phone for jackcrap.... i control on my phone internet standards and my email standards through my BIS settings....

if i go out and buy a truck, and i agree to use my truck and put my companies CB radio in my truck... it's not the companies truck it's still mine....

and the GSM encryption has been hacked... anyone can see anything about any GSM phone if they really wanted to.

that would be like Google/Live/Hotmail/Yahoo or any other web service getting ahold of your cell phone's contents just due to have pushed email to you phone.... the Blackberry servers poll your companies email, when you get a new on the BIS forwards the emails to your phone.... that's it.... your company cannot hack your phone via pushed email... period....

=====================================

if your phone is on their BES programming, the can see anything in regards to your phone regardless if your Email is on there or not.
    Last edited by mjneid; 01-26-10 at 03:03 PM.
    01-26-10 02:59 PM
    Just putting a corporate email on your device doesn't give them full access to your phone. And it doesn't make it a member of their BES program. It's just pushed email to your phone. I have my corporate email on my phone, and my company has a BES program... they cannot access my phone for jackcrap.... i control on my phone internet standards and my email standards through my BIS settings....

if i go out and buy a truck, and i agree to use my truck and put my companies CB radio in my truck... it's not the companies truck it's still mine....

and the GSM encryption has been hacked... anyone can see anything about any GSM phone if they really wanted to.

that would be like Google/Live/Hotmail/Yahoo or any other web service getting ahold of your cell phone's contents just due to have pushed email to you phone.... the Blackberry servers poll your companies email, when you get a new on the BIS forwards the emails to your phone.... that's it.... your company cannot hack your phone via pushed email... period....

if your phone is on their BES programming, the can see anything in regards to your phone regardless if your Email is on there or not.
    your wrong if its connected to a BES server they can see everything
    01-26-10 07:13 PM
    your wrong if its connected to a BES server they can see everything
    Please re read my last line of my post

01-26-10 07:21 PM
    Generally speaking IT guys are very respectful of people's privacy its like a code of ethics among us. I'm sure there are unscrupulous among us and I would always advise you to be careful but generally speaking we either don't look or we quickly forget what we see. Unless the boss wants us to look for something or if we see a repeated pattern.
    01-26-10 07:29 PM
    Hey Chickenfoot. Did you take your name from Sammy Hagar's new band?
    01-27-10 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD