I downloaded g maps and it is awesome!! But I noticed the accuracy of my position is on the order of 1000s of meters. Is there a way to increase the accuracy or is it b ased off of cell tower location density?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 06:32 PM
    Hmmm usually on Google Maps I get within 5-10 meters of accuracy.
    02-02-09 06:34 PM
    Google maps will use either GPS or cell tower triangulation. Since you're on Verizon, you may be stuck with the cell tower aspect, which is not as accurate as actual GPS.
    02-02-09 06:36 PM
    Hmmm usually on Google Maps I get within 5-10 meters of accuracy.
    Yeah, me as well. It will have that prompt initially, but it will still show within 5-10 meters.
    02-02-09 06:37 PM
    I have Verizon as well, and it is spotty. Some times it hits right on the money, some times it is off. Funniest was the time when it showed me ib the middle of the Ohio River.

02-02-09 07:16 PM
    I think this has to do with Verizon gimping their GPS.
    02-02-09 07:18 PM
    I am on ATT - I had a problem and had to have my 8310 replaced - when I got the replacement, I had to re-download google maps and got version 2.3.2 . My accuracy changed from 5 - 10 meters to 1900 meters - and in some locations it is even further. I did not change service only the phone. Was there a change with the new version?
    02-06-09 12:06 PM
    This is ironic...a few of us were playing with Google maps as we headed into work yesterday morning (I told them of v3.0). We were all split between the carriers (Rogers, Telus, and Bell). Our locations varied between us, even though we were all in the same area, going the same direction, and at the same speed.
    02-06-09 12:39 PM
    I downloaded g maps and it is awesome!! But I noticed the accuracy of my position is on the order of 1000s of meters. Is there a way to increase the accuracy or is it b ased off of cell tower location density?

its an issue with the STORM's OS. and GPS configuration. I have en HTC P4000 it is not even 5 meteres. It shows you as you move, like the iphone. But my Storm is on TELUS and i think it uses Triangulation, So technically speaking you are combining both GPS and Towers. So i guess RIM or any future Leaks should fix the problem and GOOGLE has to make a version for BB's
    02-06-09 12:43 PM
    I have Sprint and I can locate myself within 5-10 meters. Very pleased with g maps accuracy!

02-06-09 12:57 PM
    I found that I had not 'enabled' my GPS location on my curve. Also I downloaded 3.0 . After doing that I got back to reasonable accuracy but not consistent - somestime < 5 meters, sometimes 1900 meters.
    02-07-09 07:58 AM
    I live and drive around alot in San Diego County. I use Google maps and find that it is accurate to within 3 to 10 meters in most instances. It will keep up with me at 70mph on the freeway.

Weather conditions can affect the accuracy. Additionally I find that it is sometimes off at my home and at other times it will show me where I am (in what area) in my home.

In general I find it to be very useful when I am unsure as to a direct route from point A to Point B.

Interestingly, I also have an app - GEOCACHE NAVIGATOR. This app uses GPS to locate a very specific location. I am using an 8310 Curve and the accuracy of the GEOCACHE NAVIGATOR is fantastic. It will get me within 3 to 6 feet of a specific location on a regular basis. So, I think the software that runs the app in GOOGLE MAPS may not be as accurate as that in GEOCACHE NAVIGATOR.

I have GOOGLE MAPS 2.1.0 on the Curve. I am going to download the newer version and see how that compares with 2.1.0 that is on my wife's Curve.
    02-07-09 09:47 AM
    To the OP and any Verizon customer. The internal GPS on Blackberrys are locked to all programs except VZNavigator and BB Maps, but only if you are running their 4.5 OS. Google Maps therefore is using cell tower triangulation to determine your location, as you have found may not be accurate at all.

I have found that especially in rural areas, where there may be few towers to actually "triangulate" with, the accuracy is horrible.
    02-07-09 12:39 PM
    Google maps is awesome. Pegs me down to 3 meters.
    02-07-09 12:49 PM
    Google maps is awesome. Pegs me down to 3 meters.
    Same here. It will be around 1500 meters when first starting up. Wait about 5-10 seconds and it has me at 1000 meters, which then promptly goes down to 3 meters, once I press the "0" button to relocate myself.
    02-07-09 01:31 PM
    3 meters just 2 days ago. Usually its around that (3-5m) but I have seen it at 1000 many times.......
    02-07-09 01:54 PM
    Until Verizon unlocks the GPS for all GPS phones google maps will always show you within some massive radius. This is not cell tower triangulation but rather showing you which tower you are connected to and the aprox range of that tower (the dot centers within a few meters of the actual tower). People with other carriers get the 1500m+ radius initially until their phone locks on the satellites and can actually determine their location.

02-07-09 03:34 PM
    If you have GPS it should be spot on... if no GPS it uses cell triangulation which bounces off cell towers so it depends on how close you are to towers and how many towers are around will determine how accurate the position is on it.
    02-07-09 04:20 PM
    Can you update google maps to 3.0 directly on your BB or do you have to do it through desktop manager? Also, will you have to delete the current version and then reload the newer one?

Thanks!
    02-07-09 05:03 PM
    You can update to 3.0 directly on your bb go to google.com/gmm from your bb browser.
    02-07-09 05:34 PM
    Thanks Emignault!
    02-07-09 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD