I was wondering if anyone else experienced this situation?

I received a PIN from someone - (it was part of a string of pins) that was not from the person that I was communicating with. The "third party" disquised or identified themself as my pinning contact.

This made me very curious, so I contacted my Sprint Rep- and had him go to his sprint.blackberry.com and enter my pin# and Seriel Number into the section of the web page that will allow you to change devices. As soon, as he did this, I received an email on my blackberry stating that I had successfully registed his email on my phone. Once I viewed this email on my phone - my icons were rearranged on my phone and I had access to his gmail account and my email accounts were not longer available to me.

To restore to my original settings, I had to go back to sprint.blackberry.com and reenter my pin and Seriel number. In order for this to work, I am almost certain that the phones that are involved have to be from the same service provider, ie. Sprint, Verizon, AT&T etc. This leads me to believe that if someone had my pin# and seriel number they could configure their blackberry to recieve my emails? Has anyone had an experience like this? Any thoughts?
    05-18-09 03:50 PM
    That shouldn't happen. Once you are signed up with BIS you can't sign up again, unless the PIN has been released from the network it was registered to.

I suggest you create a username and password for your BIS portal if you haven't already done so. If the problem persists, definitely contact Sprint again and ask them to rectify this issue or demand a new BB with different PIN & IMEI.

p.s. I have tried this out for you and got the following message when I used my PIN & IMEI to sign up for BIS again:

Cannot create account:

An account already exists for this BlackBerry� device. Please log in or contact vodauk
    at 191 (from a Vodafone mobile), or 08700 700 191 (if calling from the UK), or +44
    7836 191 191 (if calling from outside the UK).
    Last edited by skyrider007; 05-18-09 at 04:09 PM.
    05-18-09 04:05 PM
    Your saying you called sprint and had your pin and esn activated on another persons account? I dont see why sprint would do this for you without you having that persons personal information. I highly doubt this happened. By the way, the 8900 curve is a gsm device that wont work on sprints cmda network.
    05-18-09 04:23 PM
    By the way, the 8900 curve is a gsm device that wont work on sprints cmda network.
    Where did he say he has an 8900?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 05:57 PM

It says that in the OP's profile.
    05-18-09 06:05 PM

I know you cant see it while your on wap but its in his profile. Basically, I'm calling this one hard to believe.
    05-18-09 06:12 PM
    That shouldn't happen. Once you are signed up with BIS you can't sign up again, unless the PIN has been released from the network it was registered to.

I suggest you create a username and password for your BIS portal if you haven't already done so. If the problem persists, definitely contact Sprint again and ask them to rectify this issue or demand a new BB with different PIN & IMEI.

p.s. I have tried this out for you and got the following message when I used my PIN & IMEI to sign up for BIS again:
    Exactly. You cannot have the same PIN and ESN registered on two different Sprint accounts.

@ OP: Are you sure it was a PIN message and not one of those phishing SMS or email messages that came to your device?
    05-18-09 06:29 PM
    I have a corporate account with Sprint - I called my rep at the store in which he works and provided him with my pin# and Serial#. Once he entered those two numbers into the sprint.blackberry, the interface on my phone changed to his phone and I had access to his gmail account. I have the BlackBerry Curve.

I suspect that something similar happend to a contact of mine that I was pinning. My contact's phone bill and phone box were stolen and I recieved a pin that looked like it was being sent from my contact but it was sent from someone else. The pin I recieved was part of a string of pins that I was having with my contact.
    05-19-09 10:35 AM
    This is all pretty weird and I still don't understand how your PIN and ESN can be registered on a different account without first being released from your current account.

Sounds like the account has been compromised or somebody at Sprint with account control authority is messing around with your device.
    05-19-09 10:45 AM
    You very well may have had your pin swapped...that is possible. From a legal standpoint I dont see where sprint would willingly do this for you corporate or not. Only way I see this happening is if you own both devices or the other party did the process with you. So much trouble could come from this if the sprint rep actually did this.
    05-19-09 10:49 AM
    You very well may have had your pin swapped...that is possible. From a legal standpoint I dont see where sprint would willingly do this for you corporate or not. Only way I see this happening is if you own both devices or the other party did the process with you. So much trouble could come from this if the sprint rep actually did this.
    Would a PIN swap only, not inputing the new phone's ESN in Sprint's systems, via the BIS website automatically re-route emails to a different device?
    05-19-09 11:30 AM
    Well no. I made it short to get the point across. Yes you would need both.
    05-19-09 11:42 AM
    I have a corporate account with Sprint - I called my rep at the store in which he works and provided him with my pin# and Serial#. Once he entered those two numbers into the sprint.blackberry, the interface on my phone changed to his phone and I had access to his gmail account. I have the BlackBerry Curve.

I suspect that something similar happend to a contact of mine that I was pinning. My contact's phone bill and phone box were stolen and I recieved a pin that looked like it was being sent from my contact but it was sent from someone else. The pin I recieved was part of a string of pins that I was having with my contact.
    You can steal my phone bill any time you like as long as you pay it.

The fact that you received a string of PINs means that either Sprint saves them forever or somebody got ahold of your friend's phone. It's a lot easier to steal a phone than to steal an account and if the phone didn't have a password set, the thief could send pins to all your friend's contacts in some sort of scam.

If I go to sprint.blackberry.com and try to create an account, I must provide a PIN and IMEI. If they are already registered, the process is supposed to fail. I might be able to guess your login but then all I could do is mess up your push email settings. I couldn't send PIN messages (as you) from a web browser. All I see on my page (Verizon version) is email settings, change device, language and service books. I'm sure if I pick change device and put in somebody's IMEI and PIN, they will get my email for a while until I wake up and put my real IMEI and PIN back in again.

If somebody figures out your BIS login, they could hijack your account and have your email go to their phone while you pay the bill. That's about it. The offer still stands. Steal my account please... (as long as you pay the bill and I get to keep talking... ).
    05-19-09 11:48 AM
    I had instructed my Sprint Rep to enter my Pin info into his sprint.blackberry login page. So he did not do anything malicious. We were running a test to see if this scenario was possible. As a matter of fact- I could not be more pleased with the level of service that is provided by sprint. My PIN contact actually users another service provider - so it appears that it does not matter what service provider is being used, if someone were able to get a your PIN# and Phone's serial number - they could trick the system to make it appear that PINS/emails are coming from another user or phone.

Again, it appears that a user with a legitmate blackberry account, can sign into their account with their user name and password and then enter into someone else's PIN and Serial# and gain access to that phone. However, the two phones have to share the same service provider.
    05-19-09 05:53 PM
    Oh, your saying your sprint guy used his phone. Not the third party guy that you say was pinning you. Yes you can change devices on your account. change the pin and esn then the new device would get your emails. They cant do anything else with it. They cant pin using your pin#.....it is possible to clone your pin but it would make your device useless. Besides if they have your pin and esn...chances are they have your device.
    05-19-09 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD