Ok.. so someone out there must have better crackberry chops than I
    Situation:
    I have several web cameras on my LAN, with their own webservers. (no special software needed to view) Yes i can view with my laptop etc.
    When I try to access via BB browser or Opera via the LAN IP I just get an error "cant connect"
    I am able to ping my router, my other devices on my LAN, and even able to ping my BB from within my network.
    Data connection is off, WiFi is on and has IP from local DHCP server.
    It appears all traffic over the wifi from BB is trying to route out to public network and back(which of course won't work)

Anyone know if it is possible to access your internal LAN via wifi?
    Any place on the BB to add or manage static routes? (I know asking alot..LOL)
    thanks fellow crackberry abusers
    SD
    01-11-10 02:29 PM
    I can hit the http port on my gateway router, do not have any other severs to try.

I assume you have your port forwarding set up correctly in your router?
    01-11-10 09:50 PM
    the point is that your BB browser uses RIM to go out, as if there is a VPN between your phone and RIM (BIS) and from RIM you access the public internet. Therefore, you cannot access an internal IP thru BIS. could be, i am not sure though, that using the hotspot browser, you can access your LAN.
    Opera also tunnels its traffic to Opera servers so you wont be able to access your LAN.

to use the hotspot browser, open the Options within the browser and select Hotspot on the default browser menu.
    01-12-10 07:30 AM
    Also, if you don't want to change your default browser to Hotspot (since you will need to change it back if you want to use the browser over 3g), you can create bookmarks for the IP addresses of the camera and in each bookmark specify that the hotspot browser be used. If you do this, you can keep the default browser at Internet Browser or Blackberry Browser, and it will switch to the Hotspot Browser to open only these specific bookmarks.
    01-13-10 02:18 PM
    thanks all.. I have been out of town busy.. but will give this a try.
    01-20-10 10:17 PM
    the point is that your BB browser uses RIM to go out, as if there is a VPN between your phone and RIM (BIS) and from RIM you access the public internet. Therefore, you cannot access an internal IP thru BIS. could be, i am not sure though, that using the hotspot browser, you can access your LAN.
    Opera also tunnels its traffic to Opera servers so you wont be able to access your LAN.

to use the hotspot browser, open the Options within the browser and select Hotspot on the default browser menu.
    This makes sense! WiFi is a physical layer to BB while it may route through BIS or carrier gateway.

You need to find some way to force BB to connect to wifi directly.
    01-21-10 12:19 PM
    fyi if you have a BES on the lan you can tunnel through the mds browser
    01-22-10 02:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD