Saw as question about browsers in the forum about questions, faqs etc. and it used a whole bunch of terminology I'm not familiar with. I am a bit on the older side (yes, a grammy) and so I just don't always pick up on terminology. Fortunately, I'm not afraid to ask questions no matter how ignorant they might seem to others and I hate not understanding.

So what is WAP? What is MDS and MDS-CS? What is BIS-B? What is GSM?
    06-05-09 05:27 PM
    What is WAP?
    The wireless industry came up with the idea of WAP. The point of this standard was to show internet contents on wireless clients, like mobile phones.

�WAP stands for W ireless A pplication P rotocol
    �WAP is an application communication protocol
    �WAP is used to access services and information
    �WAP is inherited from Internet standards
    �WAP is for handheld devices such as mobile phones
    �WAP is a protocol designed for micro browsers
    �WAP enables the creating of web applications for mobile devices.
    �WAP uses the mark-up language WML (not HTML)
    �WML is defined as an XML 1.0 application
    06-05-09 05:32 PM
    Wikipedia and Google searches will provide you with more information than you would care to know about all that you ask. As evidenced above. ^^^
    06-05-09 05:52 PM
    Haha good one rider. Except you are incorrect on both of your guesses. Yahoo my friend.
    06-05-09 05:56 PM
    Don't worry, we all started somewhere. Read the Blackberry 101 in Iceman signature, it will answer many questions.
    06-05-09 06:33 PM
    Don't worry, we all started somewhere. Read the Blackberry 101 in Iceman signature, it will answer many questions.
    I did. It helped some
    06-06-09 03:22 PM
    GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BlackBerry - Mobile Software - BlackBerry Mobile Data Software at BlackBerry.com

BlackBerry Browsers Explained | CrackBerry.com

Corporate
    In a corporate environment, your BlackBerry is assigned to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). The BES allows the administrators to fully control your BlackBerry, including how you browse the internet. Every BES has a service called the Mobile Data System Connection Service (MDS-CS). This service allows data to flow between your BlackBerry and the BES, and eventually onto your company's network.
    06-06-09 03:34 PM
    That's a bit more clear. Thanks. I guess its like the ethernet at school. A lot of sites are restricted and blocked.
    06-07-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD