And uhh... wow. I can see why CrackBerry didn't share this story

Android market share riding high on dumbphone conversions | Android Central

"BlackBerry barely registers on the chart, having shipped 550,000 BlackBerry 10 devices and 750,000 legacy BlackBerry OS devices in the last quarter, by ABI's count."
    05-06-14 01:24 PM
    I c
    Thanks for the info

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 01:54 PM
    Here's the report from Businesswire: Q1 2014 Smartphone OS Results: Android Dominates High Growth Developing Markets, According to ABI Research | Business Wire

ABI Research numbers are in!-md-mdms-160.jpg

This is terrible for BlackBerry. There's no other way to say it.

BB10 and BBOS combined sales are approximately 10% of Windows Phone Sales. Ouch.

And BBOS is STILL outselling BB10. Double ouch.

Windows Phone has clearly solidified itself as the 3rd most popular platform, and the fact that it continues to grow despite the dominance of the major 2 platforms is impressive.

Unless BB can see something - anything - positive in Z3 sales, I think they will eventually have no choice but to bow out of the smartphone market altogether and focus exclusively on enterprise and niche markets (infotainment systems in automobiles, medical tech, etc.).

I must admit, Windows Phone is looking more and more appealing to me right now (considering I'm a Windows PC geek already).
    05-06-14 02:18 PM
    And uhh... wow. I can see why CrackBerry didn't share this story

Android market share riding high on dumbphone conversions | Android Central

"BlackBerry barely registers on the chart, having shipped 550,000 BlackBerry 10 devices and 750,000 legacy BlackBerry OS devices in the last quarter, by ABI's count."

That seems like an improvement in product mix at least, if not in terms of absolute numbers.

They really have to get out of this situation where they are selling more 3 and 4-year-old devices than 6-month or 1-year-old devices.
    05-06-14 02:21 PM
    Thank you for adding the report screen shot, Newfangled!
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-06-14 02:22 PM
    This is terrible for BlackBerry. There's no other way to say it.

BB10 and BBOS combined sales are approximately 10% of Windows Phone Sales. Ouch.

And BBOS is STILL outselling BB10. Double ouch.

Windows Phone has clearly solidified itself as the 3rd most popular platform, and the fact that it continues to grow despite the dominance of the major 2 platforms is impressive.

Unless they can see something - anything - positive in Z3 sales, I think they will eventually have no choice but to bow out of the smartphone market altogether and focus exclusively on enterprise and niche markets (infotainment systems in automobiles, medical tech, etc.).

The handwriting on the wall has been there wrt to smartphone sales since their disastrous 3rd-quarter last year.

Chen is doing what he has to do to build a steady revenue stream that does not rely on the fickle and ridiculously competitive/expensive smartphone market. As I have stated many times there are only 2 smartphone vendors making money in that market right now, and the odds of becoming the 3rd any time soon are extremely slim for them. So it's better not to throw money down that sinkhole right now.

It will get worse before it gets better, as I have repeatedly said. By 2015, they may be in a position to make some smartphone initiatives in the already developed markets, depending on how their enterprise/service business and Z3-related business goes.
    05-06-14 02:26 PM
    "It will get worse before it gets better, as I have repeatedly said. By 2015...."

By 2015 it may just be too late.
    05-06-14 02:27 PM
    Wonder if AOSP which is Android w/o Google services will continue to grow or will flatten out once the developing markets get smartphone saturation, its looks for now that Nokia X has some room to grow.

It makes me pessimistic that Z3 will make much of a dent in SE Asia.
    05-06-14 02:29 PM
    "It will get worse before it gets better, as I have repeatedly said. By 2015...."

By 2015 it may just be too late.

It is what it is. Unless you want to put together a consortium to loan them a few billion dollars to try to make a new push in the smartphone business (with the chance of success of that sort of venture by no means being assured, and things in general pointing in the other direction), they simply do not have any choice right now.

It would be the stupidest thing in the world to blow hundreds of millions or the greater fraction of a billion dollars chasing something which is probably out of their reach right now anyway.

Chen knows what he is doing. We should all hope that the enterprise/software/BBM/developing-markets bear fruit, because they are one of the few areas where they still have a chance of making actual profit RIGHT NOW.
    05-06-14 02:40 PM
    The next couple of Quarters will be very interesting that's for sure.
    05-07-14 12:53 PM
    Correct me I'm wrong but those numbers are cell phones shipped not for cell phone sold and didn't BlackBerry Write off millions of unsold phone in previous quarters?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 05:50 PM
    Correct me I'm wrong but those numbers are cell phones shipped not for cell phone sold and didn't BlackBerry Write off millions of unsold phone in previous quarters?

Posted via CB10
    the sold numbers arent much better sadly. Yes they are managing the channels better now though
    05-07-14 06:27 PM
    I guess we have to wait and see how many have been sold but it does make sense to sell out existing unsold stock before you go shipping out a bunch of new stock.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:15 PM
    How is WP doing so well? Here in Waterloo and the GTA, I've never seen a Windows Phone advertisement and only seen 1 person with one in at least a year while I've seen many BB10. Are they selling well in a certain area?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:33 PM
    How is WP doing so well? Here in Waterloo and the GTA, I've never seen a Windows Phone advertisement and only seen 1 person with one in at least a year while I've seen many BB10. Are they selling well in a certain area?

Posted via CB10
    ABI Research numbers are in!-kantar_march_smartphone_sales.jpg
    stevovr likes this.
    05-07-14 07:37 PM
    Ouch ouch ouch. BlackBerry has been reduced to a rounding error.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by VR6; 05-07-14 at 07:54 PM.
    05-07-14 07:42 PM
    So painful. This is the most worrisome state I've seen in awhile

From my z30
    05-07-14 07:55 PM
    Hope these are not real numbers....

Chen's plan for 2015 did not allow for too many quarters of continued decline. Either hardware sales pickup, BES10 sees major conversion or BBM starts selling a LOT of stickers (or something) .

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-07-14 08:52 PM
    The world is flooded with low end android devices.. better to see comparisons with flagship phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:53 PM
    BB10 is maturing very nicely.....patience. Its all the negativity in the market place that keeps consumers at bay. I know in my area, BlackBerry is getting positive recognition and I am seeing a lot of new BB10 devices. Especially the z30 units. Need time for it to spread.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 09:03 PM
    BB10 is maturing very nicely.....patience. Its all the negativity in the market place that keeps consumers at bay. I know in my area, BlackBerry is getting positive recognition and I am seeing a lot of new BB10 devices. Especially the z30 units. Need time for it to spread.

Posted via CB10
    From the time the Z10 there have been first hand accounts of how people are seeing so many BB10 devices.... but each time BlackBerry release numbers it appears this is a very limited phenomenon.

A year later and they can't sell a million devices in a three month period.... Not sure time is what they need.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    05-07-14 09:18 PM
    Did anyone expect anything different? BB isn't doing anything different than they were before besides having a new guy at the helm that has said a few things and released one low end device in one market. It's no surprise that people haven't rushed out to buy a BB when BB doesn't give them any assurance that they have the slightest clue on what they are doing besides *hoping* that people will start to buy their phones without any marketing and embarrassing carrier support (Not everywhere but a large majority of carriers and chains).
    05-07-14 09:45 PM
    Hope these are not real numbers....
    I see no reason to disbelieve them.

Chen's plan for 2015 did not allow for too many quarters of continued decline. Either hardware sales pickup, BES10 sees major conversion or BBM starts selling a LOT of stickers (or something) .

My understanding is that BES10 has not exactly taken the world by storm yet, and may be behind the company's sales projections. But they are definitely stepping up marketing efforts and hiring people to support that business. It will take a while.

I think they did a good job getting the BBM stickers feature done and releasing decent content for it (and it appears to be making decent money so far), and the Z3 could be profitable. We should start to get an idea within a couple of weeks time when people get Z3s in hand, review them and get user feedback.
    05-07-14 10:56 PM
    It's no surprise that people haven't rushed out to buy a BB when BB doesn't give them any assurance that they have the slightest clue on what they are doing...
    I'll give you credit for consistency of message hyperbole, and that's about it.
    grover5 likes this.
    05-07-14 10:58 PM
    I'll give you credit for consistency of message hyperbole, and that's about it.
    Thanks!
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-07-14 11:04 PM
28 12