Not sure if this question would be more suited to the 9860 forum or here, so apologies if in the wrong place.

The problem i have is that my 9860 will not connect to the desktop manager via the usb. i have tried a new cable, but its not that because it will connect to my playbook and my old 8520, so i can backup both no problem.

i have tried reinstalling the software and still have the same problem. i have managed to get it to connect only twice and then it froze on the back up at smart card reader 1 of 1. i then had to cancel the backup. The second time was when it did connect to update software but hung on messages 3 of 70. Left it for an hour but was in the same place as it was when i got back.

it always used to back up for the first few months of having the phone but then refuses to now. The last backup it did was in November 2011, so this isnt ideal.

i wanted to update my software to the latest 7.1 but it will not connect to allow me to do so. Even if i can connect either just to do a backup, or connect to do a update on software, it will crash anyway, so i am now at a loss on what to do.

Can anyone help me out with this problem please.

thank you.
    01-15-12 04:42 AM
    Is your hard drive on your computer full?
    01-15-12 06:17 AM
    Is your hard drive on your computer full?
    No, hard drive isnt full. infact, i did try the desktop manager on another pc and had the same problem as i thought my pc could have been at fault.

thanks for the reply.
    01-15-12 06:23 AM
    Take out the battery, connect it to your pc. there will be option to update.

As for backup you can use blackberry protect and back it up via wifi. all the important data will be saved. apps you can reinstall later.

Did that for my 9810.
    Fruitini likes this.
    01-15-12 06:32 AM
    Take out the battery, connect it to your pc. there will be option to update.

As for backup you can use blackberry protect and back it up via wifi. all the important data will be saved. apps you can reinstall later.

Did that for my 9810.
    ok, i have tried this and all was well until reconnecting to jvl and fails as it couldnt connect to my device.

ideas?
    01-15-12 07:23 AM
    Can you use it as a drive in windows?
    01-15-12 07:27 AM
    Have you tried re installing desktop manager, it might be pc related issue. have you tried connecting it to other pc thus a new DM?

kbz1960 ask a good question, if your pc can detect your phone memory (not sd card) as drive, it can be pc or DM issues.
    Fruitini likes this.
    01-15-12 07:58 AM
    Have you tried re installing desktop manager, it might be pc related issue. have you tried connecting it to other pc thus a new DM?

kbz1960 ask a good question, if your pc can detect your phone memory (not sd card) as drive, it can be pc or DM issues.
    hi, yes i did try the software on another computer but I had the same problem.

However, I have finally managed to get 7.1 on my bb. I restarted the update and then put the battery in while it was mid update. That seemed to do the trick. Have reinstalled all my apps and have all my contacts, pictures and text messages intact thanks to blackberry protect. Only thing I lost was all my email, but i can retrieve them from the email client on the pc, so all is not lost.

Thanks both for your help.
    azrin640 likes this.
    01-15-12 09:39 AM
    Yeaa, I forgot about the battery when it want to restart. it cut off the communication with pc. Sorry.

All is well then...Enjoy..
    01-15-12 10:41 AM
    you see what happens when you remove the keyboard from a BB phone. it acts like it was made by htc.

glad your bb is all good now.
    01-15-12 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD