Just upgraded from an 8900. Aside from the terrible keyboard I -love- it. (seriously- way harder to type and I make far more mistakes- sigh)

Here is the issue:

My 8900 would lock to GPS even when I was in an area with no service or even without SIM installed (ie camping) which was great for many reasons (ie geotagged pics). The 9780 does not seem to get GPS if there is no cell/wi-fi signal. Does anyone know a fix? I have disabled location assist (aGPS), pulled batt, wiped/upgraded OS - and tested with 8900 and a 9700 which both get a GPS lock and tag photos no prob even without a SIM or wi-fi.

Thanks,
    Om

9780 a OS v6.0.0.668

Also- posted here as well:
    9780 no GPS without cell signal?? - BlackBerry Forums Support Community
    11-06-11 03:37 PM
    I answered your other thread, gps uses the mobile network, because it's A-GPS. Assisted GPS. It's the same on my 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 10:00 PM
    aGPS can be turned off though in location settings and from what I understand should work but just without faster estimated location using cell towers. thx
    11-09-11 10:03 PM
    I went to a TMO store and looked and tested the 9900 (and 4G slide) and the issue was exactly the same. In fact the Blackberry sales rep happened to show up and he confirmed the issue- GPS simply does not work right if there is no cell signal or wi-fi. The 9900 is SO nice- much better keyboard- feels great- light- snappy BUT gps is flawed and it's over priced IMO.
    11-14-11 04:29 PM
    yeah, a-gps sucks.

Not sure why they don't just let me have gps the way I want it.

I figure it's a way to lock in the $5/month BIS revenue.
    11-15-11 09:39 AM
    I pay for BES and should have full GPS always as I have on my previous devices.- this change is really crummy especially in that there seems to be no clear statement of the policy/design change.
    11-18-11 02:13 PM
    I pay for BES and should have full GPS always as I have on my previous devices.- this change is really crummy especially in that there seems to be no clear statement of the policy/design change.
    BESx is free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-11 04:45 PM
    Ok well I pay for a full data plan and that is my point. In any event so frustrating as I would be tempted to get the 9900 and stay with RIM but I just don't know. Thx.
    11-18-11 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD