I have a BB Bold 9700. Since May, it has connected to any open wifi connection available even my home network. Three days ago, I noticed that the phone shows it is connected to my home network, however, when I access the internet, I get a "communication error." Contacted AT&T and of course, no help. Anyone know what is going on with my phone? It worked great since May, now, ....nothing over Wifi.
    01-03-11 09:36 AM
    I would try re-booting your router first to see if that fixes it. If not, delete the wifi profile on the berry for your home network and then set it up again in connections by scanning again.

Have you tried any other open networks that used to work?
    01-03-11 09:41 AM
    I would try re-booting your router first to see if that fixes it. If not, delete the wifi profile on the berry for your home network and then set it up again in connections by scanning again.

Have you tried any other open networks that used to work?

I've tried rebooting the home network and still, get nothing. I have also tried connecting to other networks that used to work as well, and nothing. I may go to At&t today at lunch and see if it connects to wifi there.
    01-03-11 09:44 AM
    I encountered a similar issue before, 6 months before, I did a battery pull and that solved it. Give it a shot, it could be an OS mixup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 10:45 AM
    Having similar issues (yes, the SEARCH feature does work!). Just started recently as far as I can tell. Battery Pull solves it for about 5 minutes. Deleting the wifi profile and restarting BB, then re-establishing profile doesn't help. Rebooting router doesn't help. Signal is off the charts when standing next to router, but connections are still hit and miss. Mostly miss. I'll check at my ATT place to see if it's a phone or home issue.
    01-04-11 09:28 AM
    Having similar issues (yes, the SEARCH feature does work!). Just started recently as far as I can tell. Battery Pull solves it for about 5 minutes. Deleting the wifi profile and restarting BB, then re-establishing profile doesn't help. Rebooting router doesn't help. Signal is off the charts when standing next to router, but connections are still hit and miss. Mostly miss. I'll check at my ATT place to see if it's a phone or home issue.
    Try switching your browser. Under Browser configuration, switch to hotspot browser and see if this works. I tried again this morning at work and did this and now am able to use wifi. I haven't tried my home network yet. AT&T ARE NO HELP!! Stopped in an AT&T store near work yesterday and there wifi was down. Guy told me to go through a warranty exchange. He gave m a number to call, explain everything and give verbal confirmation that if the problem wasn't covered under warranty, I'd have to pay $200.
    01-04-11 12:03 PM
    Try switching your browser. Under Browser configuration, switch to hotspot browser and see if this works. I tried again this morning at work and did this and now am able to use wifi. I haven't tried my home network yet. AT&T ARE NO HELP!! Stopped in an AT&T store near work yesterday and there wifi was down. Guy told me to go through a warranty exchange. He gave m a number to call, explain everything and give verbal confirmation that if the problem wasn't covered under warranty, I'd have to pay $200.
    Hmmmm... I just tried that switch, but I was worried it would not connect in 3G here at w*rk. Lo and behold it does connect as usual. Only issue is that the Home page doesn't come up as usual when opening the browser. It goes to the page as if I chose the "Go to" option in the menu. no biggie for now. I'll double check when I get home for the wifi connect issue. Thanks.

But the real question lies in "why did it do this in the first place?" I certainly didn't change any browser options. Perhaps another one of those phantom settings change during a service book refresh or something.
    01-04-11 01:29 PM
    Hmmmm... I just tried that switch, but I was worried it would not connect in 3G here at w*rk. Lo and behold it does connect as usual. Only issue is that the Home page doesn't come up as usual when opening the browser. It goes to the page as if I chose the "Go to" option in the menu. no biggie for now. I'll double check when I get home for the wifi connect issue. Thanks.

But the real question lies in "why did it do this in the first place?" I certainly didn't change any browser options. Perhaps another one of those phantom settings change during a service book refresh or something.

Exactly. I didn't change anything either. I've had a wireless network in my home for as long as I've had the phone and it has worked flawlessly. I read somewhere about switching the browser, so I gave it a try. there's no problem with my network at home. I have three other wireless devices and they are all working.
    01-04-11 02:52 PM
    same here... Laptop, DVD, Wii are all working fine using the network. (not all at the same time, though)

thanks for that tip- I'll post later to see if that made a difference.
    01-04-11 02:58 PM
    I'm going to check this out with my home network too and will post an update.
    01-04-11 03:09 PM
    Honestly sounds like a phone problem with the network settings.

Have you recently changed your OS? (Didn't read every response.)

Wierd it would all of a sudden stop working though.

Hope you figure it out.

01-04-11 04:40 PM
    Changing the browser helped, but it just seems a bit slower than before. Could be just over-expectations or something. Signal hasn't dropped since I arrived home (about 2hrs so far) and all the usual pages load fine. As I mentioned before, the browser opens on the page that results from the "go to" option in the menu and not the home page I have preset.

01-04-11 06:24 PM
    Changing to the hotspot browser worked for me as well with the home network. Odd how all of a sudden I have to go in each time and manually change the browser for wifi to work. Honestly, after my contract is up with AT&T, I'm going to give serious thought to ditching them and Blackberry, and I really like this phone.
    01-05-11 07:54 AM
    I can leave it on Hotspot, since I don't use wifi at work during the day. But I find it odd that I had to change ANYTHING in the first place. It was working fine using 'Internet Browser'.
    01-05-11 09:10 AM
    I'm having an identical issue with mine as well. I have 2 different locations where I consistently use my phone on wi-fi; work an home. At home I automatically connect and have had the same connection for several months. At work, I connect like a hotspot and have been using it for approximately 3 months. Somewhere in the past week or so (Not sure exactly when), when surfing the web on wifi, it just started coming up dead. Eventually, one of two things will happen:

1. The browser times out and gives a communication error.
    2. The phone switches to my AT&T 3G and I am able to instantly pull up the website.

I have done a battery pull, this did not fix the issue. I switched to hotspot and it did work fine.

I use Pandora almost constantly at work and it never falters, I never have any issues loading songs, etc. Also, I don't have any issues with BBM, texting, or email. Just when browsing. I also don't have access to the router at work to reset it.

Just thought I'd add to the post, and see if there's anything that comes from it.
    01-05-11 12:31 PM
    As I mentioned. perhaps it was one of those glitches that popup when they push an update overnight. Either a service book or other update. I know it happens because several times I've taken the phone off the charger and there are several apps running in the background that were NOT open when I put it down.
    01-05-11 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD