seriously, why hasn't this happened? the work has essentially been done, CDMA people want it and would buy it in droves. If there were any upgrades like a better processor, mem or screen resolution it would be a slam dunk.
    but still, a CDMA 9700 with wifi, why hasn't it happened?
    03-06-10 04:59 AM
    not sure.... maybe RIM is working somethign up on this new phone here thats going to be better? who knows?.. well find out I'm sure in a week or 2
    03-06-10 07:11 AM
    seriously, why hasn't this happened? the work has essentially been done, CDMA people want it and would buy it in droves. If there were any upgrades like a better processor, mem or screen resolution it would be a slam dunk.
    but still, a CDMA 9700 with wifi, why hasn't it happened?
    Well rumor on the forms is this is exactly what RIM is doing. That they scrapped the Tour 2 for a CDMA Bold 9700. Only time will tell what the real story is.
    03-06-10 07:21 AM
    this is all well and good.. but the tour is a world phone... a cdma bold is the same as a cdma curve or a cdma pearl.. NOT necessarily a world phone...

if there is not a cdma world phone with wifi soon there will be plenty of tired business folks giviing up on vz and sprint.
    03-06-10 09:51 AM

if there is not a cdma world phone with wifi soon there will be plenty of tired business folks giviing up on vz and sprint.

And at least one (me) who is trying to leave AT&T but won't without a phone that can match or exceed the 9700...

MG

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-10 09:55 AM
    In response to the original question, I agree, but the GSM and CDMA technology is different, so I'm not sure if the devices would be exactly the same size, same configuration, and use exactly the same connections so that a simple swap out would work. In fact, I doubt it, and expect that some re-engineering would be required. And, since the new device would be operating with different components than the configuration previously approved, I think that requires another round of testing and FCC approvals. Therefore, it would take some time....
    03-06-10 09:58 AM
    this is all well and good.. but the tour is a world phone... a cdma bold is the same as a cdma curve or a cdma pearl.. NOT necessarily a world phone...

Agreed, VZW needs a BB world phone, many of us use that feature of the Tour.
    03-06-10 12:06 PM
    So how hard would it be to add in a CDMA radio, and reconfigure the OS to allow all of it to work. Shouldn't be that hard.

Make a slightly bigger battery cover to allow the room for the new radios/wifi and you are set.

However, i want a faster processor, and more memory than the Bold 9700.
    03-07-10 03:15 AM
    Shouldn't be that hard??!! That's a completely redesigned handset, new chipset, new specs, new frequencies, new power requirements, new hardware/case to hold it, etc. If RIM hasn't been planning this for a while, and if true we won't be seeing it for a while as spinning up full scale production AFTER design takes months...all speculation at this point obviously. The best chance of getting this phone out soon is just rebranded packaging and seeing it in stock this month. I hope we get "insider" linked info soon.

03-07-10 08:12 AM
    I bet we wont see this phone until Julyish...

If is truly a reworked 9700 I will wait but if is a tour 2 with a name change I will be a little upset..I want to see an upgraded phone like others have said all the way down to a nice sexy faux leather back side.
    Last edited by MsRandall; 03-07-10 at 08:58 AM.
    03-07-10 08:53 AM
    July is totally fine with me, contract is up in july. Any time after that I'm switching brands, and android is looking pretty attractive.
    03-07-10 05:25 PM
    I just want to see it in april sometime. If it isn't out by the first of April I will be going with a different phone.

03-07-10 09:52 PM
    So how hard would it be to add in a CDMA radio, and reconfigure the OS to allow all of it to work. Shouldn't be that hard.

Make a slightly bigger battery cover to allow the room for the new radios/wifi and you are set.

However, i want a faster processor, and more memory than the Bold 9700.
    HA. clearly you don't understand the engineering aspect of this product at all.
    03-07-10 10:00 PM
    HA. clearly you don't understand the engineering aspect of this product at all.
    obviously =P I am a car guy/computer guy(html/css more than anything else) so the hardware aspect is lost on me.

My rebate is up April 1st(yay Sprints 1 yr $150 off) so...i'm hoping something comes out by than, but its not looking that way.
    03-08-10 01:44 AM
    obviously =P I am a car guy/computer guy(html/css more than anything else) so the hardware aspect is lost on me.

My rebate is up April 1st(yay Sprints 1 yr $150 off) so...i'm hoping something comes out by than, but its not looking that way.
    well if you're a CS guy then you should know that the chipsets the CDMA vs GSM phones run off are completely different, so software changes / porting are required as well. the actual CDMA hardware/chipset from Qualcomm is also different form factor so the internals of the phone must be reorganized and reengineered as well. and when they're done with all that, they have to test it, get FCC approval for a new device and then run it to carriers who then have to field test it themselves.

it's not as simple as plopping **** into a new casing.
    03-08-10 08:13 PM
    it should be that simple -.-

throw them on some silicon and sauter it all together...bam.
    03-08-10 11:21 PM
    Great thought, but not so easy to just do.

For someone who mentioned that the 9700 isn't a world phone.....not sure where you got that bit from, mine has worked all over the world just fine.

03-08-10 11:39 PM
    World Phone = GSM

thats pretty much it. really only Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, the rest of the world is GSM.
    03-09-10 12:04 AM
    I'm pretty sure also the 9700 already has WiFi.

03-09-10 10:36 AM
    World Phone = GSM

thats pretty much it. really only Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, the rest of the world is GSM.
    Not entirely.
    There are many places in Asia that are CDMA or where it is at least an option. Germany definitely has it too. I only know that because a friend of mine was stationed there for a year about 2 years ago and was able to use his Verizon non world phone.
    Also if VZW or Sprint where to put out an update or simply another BB that is equal to or greater than the Tour, I am pretty sure it would be a world phone just like the Tour currently is.

Also as far as GSM = World Phone...
    My gf and her fam are from Greece. Entire family still lives there aside from her and her brother. Last time her brother was over there visiting, his AT&T HTC Tilt got absolutely no service and he had to rent a cell phone while he was there, that was on various islnads and in parts of Athens (maybe no roaming agreement?). Who ever is the main carrier over there has some tie to VZW because when they come here to visit they get themselves a VZW phone from their carrier (normally a very out dated model) before they leave the country to use here in the US.
    Last edited by mkurz12; 03-10-10 at 08:12 AM.
    03-10-10 08:01 AM
    And at least one (me) who is trying to leave AT&T but won't without a phone that can match or exceed the 9700...
    It is mind boggling how VZW is so far behind at&t on handsets. Maybe at&t owns RIM??? You would think all carriers would be equal on hardware - and consumers would chose the wireless provider based on quality of network coverage. It's not like VZW intentionally wants to lag behind at&t. What gives? There must be something going on behind the scenes - very frustrating.

03-13-10 07:35 PM
    Maybe at&t owns RIM???
    Doesn't att own any and everything they want?
    03-13-10 09:51 PM
    Doesn't att own any and everything they want?
    you mean Apple.
    03-14-10 05:40 AM
    I just think rim makes better/more devices for the gsm world because that is not only what AT&T and tmobile use but the majority of carriers around the world use it as well.
    There devices are for sale around the world so I think thats why I think they are making the nice ones for gsm.

03-14-10 06:42 AM
    perhaps the world is larger than just verizon and att.. and because there are 2.5 BILLION GSM subscribers.. and RIM would not be doing its duty to its stockholders if they did not address the largest market segment first.. so att will get the coolest phones..

It is mind boggling how VZW is so far behind at&t on handsets. Maybe at&t owns RIM??? You would think all carriers would be equal on hardware - and consumers would chose the wireless provider based on quality of network coverage. It's not like VZW intentionally wants to lag behind at&t. What gives? There must be something going on behind the scenes - very frustrating.

03-14-10 08:39 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD