Would this be possible to take wifi out of a different blackberry and implement it with a storm. The ORIGINAL storm had wifi BUT before it hit shelves Verizon had them take it out. That should mean there's room for installing some hardware. Any Takers?
    05-01-09 02:56 PM
    Would this be possible to take wifi out of a different blackberry and implement it with a storm. The ORIGINAL storm had wifi BUT before it hit shelves Verizon had them take it out. That should mean there's room for installing some hardware. Any Takers?
    Ummm, wow. I wanna smack you with a roll of quarters...

First, show me proof VZW had RIM take out the Wi-Fi...

Secondly, I highly doubt that it would work even from a software end.
    05-01-09 03:05 PM
    Wow. Is this a serious post?
    05-01-09 03:11 PM
    It would be possible....if you were the maker of the device. You would need new components, a new circuit board, and new software.
    05-01-09 03:17 PM
    the storm 9530 will NEVER have wifi...
    05-01-09 03:22 PM
    I must have missed something early on with the Storm, I can't understand why everyone assumes Verizon is stopping RIM from making a CDMA Blackberry with WIFI.

If Verizon had something against WIFI why would other type VZW phones have it? If VZW was the reason why wouldn't RIM make one for one of the other CDMA carriers, VZW isn't their only CDMA customer. VZW's influence couldn't be that strong with RIM otherwise the GSM guys wouldn't get first crack at most of the new phones like the did with 8800, Pearl, Curve, Bold etc.

This is a RIM issue which no one has explained, why they have never released a CDMA Blackberry with WIFI.
    05-01-09 03:24 PM
    what about a micro usb wifi adapter?

or a bluetooth to wifi external device?

I could connect a wifi antenna to my headphones, would that work? I bet it would and since I'm 6'3" if I was wearing the headphones I bet I would get a great signal
    05-01-09 03:26 PM
    what about a micro usb wifi adapter?

or a bluetooth to wifi external device?

I could connect a wifi antenna to my headphones, would that work? I bet it would and since I'm 6'3" if I was wearing the headphones I bet I would get a great signal
    Unless someone re-writes the OS, these won't happen.
    05-01-09 03:30 PM
    05-01-09 03:51 PM
    even if you could get past the hardware aspect, there would still be the driver issues.

I never understood what was so great about wifi on a phone. I have an ipod touch and I almost never use wifi on it, after all I do pay to have data use on my storm and I can go (almost) anywhere.
    05-01-09 03:54 PM
    Ummm, wow. I wanna smack you with a roll of quarters...

First, show me proof VZW had RIM take out the Wi-Fi...

Secondly, I highly doubt that it would work even from a software end.
    LMFAO! Tired of hearing this question I take it?
    05-01-09 03:59 PM
    Am I the only one who is sick of hearing about WIFI and the Storm? The 9530 doesn't have WIFI, deal with it. If you don't like it don't buy it. Every BB has its flaw. The 8900 lacks 3G, the Storm doesn't have WIFI, and the Bold is pretty big and has bad battery life but has 3G and WIFI. Its all about compromises.
    05-01-09 04:01 PM
    hahahah.... excellent.

Well honestly wifi is pretty much pointless on a VZW bb, simply because you have to get the bb plan, thus you have internet everywhere (within reason). It would only benefit two kinds of people:

A. A person who is constantly out of reception and needs to be connected to the net, thus using wifi.

and/or

B. A person who unlocks or flashes the phone and uses it on another carrier that does not require use of a bb plan, which would save them the money of using internet.

WIFI is a huge battery hog, and on a VZW bb i would never use it unless i was in Situation A. under an emergency.
    05-02-09 02:25 AM
    hahahah.... excellent.

Well honestly wifi is pretty much pointless on a VZW bb, simply because you have to get the bb plan, thus you have internet everywhere (within reason). It would only benefit two kinds of people:

A. A person who is constantly out of reception and needs to be connected to the net, thus using wifi.

and/or

B. A person who unlocks or flashes the phone and uses it on another carrier that does not require use of a bb plan, which would save them the money of using internet.

WIFI is a huge battery hog, and on a VZW bb i would never use it unless i was in Situation A. under an emergency.
    seriously i love how you make up statistics about wifi being a huge battery hog just to make yourself feel better!

lets get something straight to A LOT of users wifi may be pointless, but to some it would be awesome.. just because you dont care for wifi doesnt mean others feel the same way. I am a grad student at school where wifi coverage is in every corner of campus INCLUDING the library stacks 6 stories below ground, but there is no cell signal... having wifi would be totally beneficial there!

so in conclusion stfu
    05-02-09 03:25 AM
    seriously i love how you make up statistics about wifi being a huge battery hog just to make yourself feel better!

lets get something straight to A LOT of users wifi may be pointless, but to some it would be awesome.. just because you dont care for wifi doesnt mean others feel the same way. I am a grad student at school where wifi coverage is in every corner of campus INCLUDING the library stacks 6 stories below ground, but there is no cell signal... having wifi would be totally beneficial there!

so in conclusion stfu
    First off, do some research and there is a general consensus that wifi uses more battery life than the radio. Secondly, wouldn't your "library stack" situation put you into the A category that I proposed? And lastly like you said I don't care for wifi, I wasn't attacking it. Perhaps you misread the point of my post or just have some strange infatuation with wifi.
    05-02-09 03:54 AM
    even if you could get past the hardware aspect, there would still be the driver issues.

I never understood what was so great about wifi on a phone. I have an ipod touch and I almost never use wifi on it, after all I do pay to have data use on my storm and I can go (almost) anywhere.
    Its not that we want WiFi over 3G, but since WiFi is faster it would be a nice addition. Especially, when you happened to be in a area where it's offered.
    05-02-09 04:37 AM
    wow......just plain wow....
    05-02-09 04:45 AM
    I can't believe ppl are still talking about WiFi with the 9500 or 9530
    05-02-09 07:07 AM
    First off, do some research and there is a general consensus that wifi uses more battery life than the radio. Secondly, wouldn't your "library stack" situation put you into the A category that I proposed? And lastly like you said I don't care for wifi, I wasn't attacking it. Perhaps you misread the point of my post or just have some strange infatuation with wifi.
    So, let me get this straight...is there WiFi on the Storm? HAHAHAHAHAHAH j/k

you guys all sound like a bunch of babies....

05-02-09 07:15 AM
    I think you all need need to realise that a Storm can have Wifi fitted!

Here is a picture of my storm WITH the Wifi module!

05-02-09 08:04 AM
    No there's no wifi period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 08:07 AM
    so in conclusion stfu
    actually, I think Eddietheking made a valid point, and your stfu was not called for. Might not have been the answer you would like, but that's not Eddie's fault

The current Storm will never get Wifi, just too involved to be feasible. If you find yourself constantly in areas of wifi but no cell service, you might consider picking up one of those really cheap netbooks.
    05-02-09 08:13 AM
    It would be possible....if you were the maker of the device. You would need new components, a new circuit board, and new software.
    Hey people....it's called Storm 2 and its coming.

05-02-09 08:26 AM
    Hey Merc,

Where can I get me one of those fancy wifi modules??? That's the best thing I have seen since sliced bread...hahaha...
    05-02-09 08:27 AM
    I once had a pocket pc that had wifi, cdma, and gsm. The battery life was miserable if more than one radio was turned on. As I recall, that phone was a big bust for Verizon.

05-02-09 09:37 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD