Greetings. I am getting annoyed by slowness of my mom's phone. It's just a regular feature phone with either slow CPU or too little RAM that even basic functions such as scrolling thought calls list is a huge lag fest.

I want to get a non-expensive alternative. She will not use data or BBM or anything related to data. Just calls and SMS.
    Why Blackberry? Because I want her to have QWERTY and it can't be a touch screen and there is no other option really.

Is 9320 still good for that?
    She has problems with vision, so the tiny screen on her dumbphone doesn't cut it. I want her to have a smartphone that at least has ability for enlarge don't size.
    I thought about getting her Q5, but I am afraid he touch screen and new BB os is too "advanced" for her with all the gestures and swipes and stuff. She has no need to and has no desire to learn new OS which is why I am leaning more towards legacy device. At $119, what do you guys think?

TLDR version:
    Mom needs a phone with following requirements:
    -QWERTY
    -non-touchscreen
    -no data, calls and SMS only
    -has problems with vision, so large size font is essential.

P.S. Can touchscreen be turned off on Q series?
    Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by Vae_Victus; 08-19-14 at 04:00 AM.
    08-19-14 03:45 AM
    Yes I like older qwerty keyboard BlackBerry especially the curve or u can get a bold. I guess u should find it in a good price as well. I d say go for it.

Powered by Blackberry
    08-19-14 05:45 AM
    For simple calls and texts, I think the 9320 should do it.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    08-19-14 05:49 AM
    I actually think the new OS is easier to learn than the menu driven one. It will be the same amount of time spent with her as if you would teach the menus.

Also, you would be surprised how quickly people will begin to make use of all the features.

Lastly, if it's for your mom, I'm sure she'd love the pink or red Q5.

You didn't really say how old your mom is. But you'd never know if this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Everybody remembers the first smartphone with great affection.

I say don't limit her and go for the Q5.

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    alan510 likes this.
    08-19-14 05:54 AM
    This is interesting: "mom" must be somehow a category. Doesn't matter how old, how educated, how intelligent ... "mom!" is qualification enough
    08-19-14 06:14 AM
    Phones for MILFs

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 06:42 AM
    As for the "future readiness" I'd definitely recommend a BB10 phone. Of course, a legacy device will probably do it's job but if you have the chance to get your hands on a current gen BlackBerry phone for a reasonable price, I'd go for that. The thing is, OS7 is getting really old and people stop caring about it, which can be a great disadvantage whenever she will get in touch with big data applications or other similar tasks.

So, if it's really only about texting and phone, why not, go for a legacy device. If there's anything else she wants to do with it - think twice.
    08-19-14 06:46 AM
    The OP's looking for a non-expensive alternative, and by that, OS 7 phones are the way to go.

08-19-14 07:01 AM
    I also recommend going the BB10 route. My dad bought my mom (who was in your mom's exact same situation) a Z10 and she loves the thing!

Everyone's learning curve is different, but I do feel that BB10 is easier to learn than BBOS. Honestly all those people who said that the learning curve is too steep, they never gave the OS a chance or they were just looking to criticize/troll, period.

You want cost efficient? Go for the Q5 then.

With Great Swiping Comes Great Responsibility - CB10 on Z10, Bell, ON, Canada
    08-19-14 07:34 AM
    The OP's looking for a non-expensive alternative, and by that, OS 7 phones are the way to go.

The 9320 is $119 + 13% tax
    The Q5 is $159 + 13% tax

Both BNIB
    The difference of $40 is nothing to me, and people praise Q5 for its price/quality ratio. So still on the fence.

By the way, thanks all for replies.
    Last edited by Vae_Victus; 08-19-14 at 08:19 AM.
    08-19-14 07:34 AM
    Or how about a 9900? It's a legendary phone, the white version is definitely sleek.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 07:37 AM
    A q5 or z10 can be found for super cheap. They have better performance and are easier to learn than bb7.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    08-19-14 08:08 AM
    Consider a 9720.

Its a great entry BBOS 7 handset.
    Is 9320 still a viable option for moms?-20130905_210049.jpg
    08-19-14 09:14 AM
    Better get Q5. Larger screen size, longer battery life, better camera, good keypad.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 09:50 AM
    Op go for it, I see many others missing your requirements, which is a cheaper keyboard device, the 9320 will give your mum that and then some. Its a great little device.

The touch screen is needed for the Q series, as there is no track pad, you could go with the Bold but it's also a higher price point than you are considering, it carries the (9900) both touch and keyboard you don't have to use the touch screen you can just use the hard keyboard and track pad

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 02:38 PM
    Q5. It comes with tutorials. BB10 is simple to use.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 04:52 PM
    Greetings. I am getting annoyed by slowness of my mom's phone. It's just a regular feature phone with either slow CPU or too little RAM that even basic functions such as scrolling thought calls list is a huge lag fest.

I want to get a non-expensive alternative. She will not use data or BBM or anything related to data. Just calls and SMS.
    Why Blackberry? Because I want her to have QWERTY and it can't be a touch screen and there is no other option really.

Is 9320 still good for that?
    She has problems with vision, so the tiny screen on her dumbphone doesn't cut it. I want her to have a smartphone that at least has ability for enlarge don't size.
    I thought about getting her Q5, but I am afraid he touch screen and new BB os is too "advanced" for her with all the gestures and swipes and stuff. She has no need to and has no desire to learn new OS which is why I am leaning more towards legacy device. At $119, what do you guys think?

TLDR version:
    Mom needs a phone with following requirements:
    -QWERTY
    -non-touchscreen
    -no data, calls and SMS only
    -has problems with vision, so large size font is essential.

P.S. Can touchscreen be turned off on Q series?
    Thank you in advance!!
    For 119 you can get the 99xx series which isn't touchscreen dominant. It has one but you don't need to use it. It's also has a bigger screen and bigger keys for typing.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-19-14 07:46 PM
    What carrier are you on? It would help us help you.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-19-14 07:47 PM
    If you think she can handle the gestures, BB10 and the Q5 is a solid choice.

However, if all she really needs is a phone with a physical keyboard for texts, legacy BlackBerry phones are a great value.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    08-19-14 11:11 PM
    Don't get bbos its outdated. Get Q5. If someday your mom need internet connection she can easily use wifi. In bbos you need BIS.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 11:25 PM
    What carrier are you on? It would help us help you.

Posted via Q10RR
    Exactly. Aren't some carriers offering the bb10 phones free on contract? Or darn well close to free?

Don't punish your mom with an obsolete BBOS phone. If she can text, she can send BBM or use any other messaging software. She'd probably appreciate learning how obsolete SMS texting is compared to the state of the current messaging apps.
    08-19-14 11:40 PM
    I'd recommend waiting a bit for Classic, or Q5 if you need it now. BlackBerry OS is obsolete and if your mom needs Internet, she can use WiFi without hassle.

Yes I know you said "no data", but IDK how old your mom is. My mom managed to learn Facebook just fine at 55 years old, now she primarily uses iPad.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-19-14 11:56 PM
    I actually think the new OS is easier to learn than the menu driven one. It will be the same amount of time spent with her as if you would teach the menus.

Also, you would be surprised how quickly people will begin to make use of all the features.

Lastly, if it's for your mom, I'm sure she'd love the pink or red Q5.

You didn't really say how old your mom is. But you'd never know if this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Everybody remembers the first smartphone with great affection.

I say don't limit her and go for the Q5.

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    I totally agree. A nice Q5 would be nice as well.