I purchased the 8830 on Saturday and everyone I spoke to complained about the background noise the mic was picking up. I was in my car w/ the windows up and people kept asking if I was driving through a wind tunnel. I brought the phone back thinking it may just be that particular phone, but the replacement I rec'd is getting the same reviews. Is the 8830 super senstive to background noise and is there a way I can turn the mic volume down?

If this doesn't resolve itself, I'm going to have to switch to the pearl or *gasp* a treo.
    01-14-08 11:09 PM
    I purchased the 8830 on Saturday and everyone I spoke to complained about the background noise the mic was picking up. I was in my car w/ the windows up and people kept asking if I was driving through a wind tunnel. I brought the phone back thinking it may just be that particular phone, but the replacement I rec'd is getting the same reviews. Is the 8830 super senstive to background noise and is there a way I can turn the mic volume down?

If this doesn't resolve itself, I'm going to have to switch to the pearl or *gasp* a treo.
    I haven't gotten this complaint from anyone yet and I just got my phone last week. You sure there isn't a setting that's not set up right maybe? Maybe you just live in a super loud area?
    01-15-08 05:15 PM
    I've had my 8830 for a month now and no complaints.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-08 05:24 PM
    I haven't gotten this complaint from anyone yet and I just got my phone last week. You sure there isn't a setting that's not set up right maybe? Maybe you just live in a super loud area?

That's the question I'm asking, can I turn the mic volume down?

I don't think that my area is "super loud", i know my car is loud, but I've never gotten a complaint before on any other phone. Also, I was talking to my brother last night and while I was sitting at my desk, with nothing going on in the house (no TV, dog, music) he said it sounded great. The second I started walking around he said he felt like he was standing in the room with me and the bag of chips I opened sounded like the BB was inside the bag b/c it was so loud. Help!
    01-16-08 06:34 AM
    Are you using it as a SPEAKER phone or is this just at your ear and mouth? I presume as a Speakerphone, it would be picking up more ambient sounds.
    01-16-08 09:23 AM
    Are you using it as a SPEAKER phone or is this just at your ear and mouth? I presume as a Speakerphone, it would be picking up more ambient sounds.

nope, no speakerphone

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to learn that the microphone on your BlackBerry 8830 World Edition seems to be overly sensitive as other parties you are speaking to complain of loud background noises. We are pleased to assist you.

The issue you are experiencing is a previously reported issue. We are pleased to let you know that a new firmware has been made available for the BlackBerry 8830. This new firmware on the 8830 resolve the issue you are experiencing as it adds Audio Quality Optimization that improves audio quality. Previously, if you placed a call in a noisy environment and muted the device, the call recipient might have heard a loud noise

This firmware also provides the enhancements listed below:

? Resolves the inability to use data after having left the handset on while leaving a GSM area broad or turning the handset and/or its cellular radio off when no GSM signal was present abroad. This previously required that the battery be removed and reinserted before it could reestablish data connectivity in a CDMA coverage area.
    ? Resolves the loss of phone functionality after using the call waiting function to answer an incoming call while currently on a call.
    ? A 6dB boost in volume has been implemented to audio notifications to resolve missing alerts while the 8830 is holstered.
    ? Resolves multiple issues with acquiring network connectivity while in GSM mode.
    ? Resolves three identified Calendar issues that were previously addressed with a patch. Detailed information about the Calendar issues can be found at this link: BlackBerry
    ? Enables the SIM to be unlocked for the use of non-Verizon Wireless SIM Cards for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks abroad. Note: Requires account to have been in good standing for previous 60 days and Verizon Wireless does not provide any support for using third-party SIM while roaming on any GSM/GPRS networks.
    ? Adds support for A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets.
    ? Corrects an issue that resulted in "Error 348"
    ? Improves the usability of the keyboard by not using backlighting in low-to-medium lighting conditions which previously made keys difficult to read.
    ? Enables VZ Navigator -Location Based Services (LBS) capability (Please see information below). The following features are added;
    a. Application Based Tracking Implementation
    b. SMS Wake-up functionality
    ? Spell Checker Refinements - The following refinements have been included for the spell checker application:
    o If there are spelling mistakes found and the user interacts with the spell checking UI to address the mistakes, upon the addressing of the last problem, a dialog should be presented to the user allowing the user to continue with or abort the send after they 'check' the final misspelled word in the email. Dialog now says "Spelling check is complete. Send message?" Yes/ No.
    o If there is a spelling mistake found, and the user has NOT interacted with spell checking UI in any way, then the on holstering the email is sent, as is, assuming the user did not want the spell check to be done.

Please keep in mind that Location Based Services encompass a range of services enabled when a mobile device is aware of its location or when a wireless network is aware of the location of the mobile device. At this time, no 3rd party applications are LBS enabled. Any 3rd party mapping application (i.e. BlackBerry Maps) will not change once Verizon Wireless enables LBS on Advanced Devices. They will still function as they did before. The VZ Navigator for BlackBerry is $9.99 per month.

Before installing the handheld software the BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be installed. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager needs to be the same version as the Handheld Software. The BlackBerry cradle or USB cable must be connected directly to the desktop / laptop and not through a docking station / port replicator or USB hub.

If you have the Blackberry Desktop software on your computer, please follow the steps below to check the software version to make sure that it is the latest version i.e. Version 4.2.2

1. Click on Start
    2. Click on Programs or All Programs
    3. Click on Blackberry
    4. Select Desktop Manager
    5. Click on Help
    6. Click on About Desktop Manager
    7. The software version is listed on the General Tab under the Blackberry Desktop Manager software heading example 4.2.2, 4.1

If you have do not have the current BlackBerry Desktop Manager Software version, or if you do not have the software installed, please complete the steps below to download and install the software.

1. Browse to BlackBerry® Software Updates
    2. Select the option that best applies to you i.e. Personal Email or Work email
    3. Select BlackBerry 8830
    4. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 (updated 5-31-2007)
    5. Enter your 10-digit Verizon Wireless number
    6. Click Download Now
    7. Select Save (Please save the file on your desktop)
    8. After the download is complete, double-click the file on your computer.
    9. Complete the on-screen instructions.

Once the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is successfully installed or updated, complete the steps below to update the software on your handheld.

Warning: It is critical that the computer used during installation is not allowed to enter stand-by, hibernate, or suspend mode. Failure to prevent this will result in a failed install and possible permanent damage to the device.

1. Browse to BlackBerry® Software Updates Software Updates
    2. Select the option that best applies to you i.e. Personal Email or Work email
    3. Select BlackBerry 8830
    4. Select BlackBerry Device Software v4.2 (updated 11/19/2007)
    5. Enter your 10-digit Verizon Wireless number
    6. Click Download Now
    7. Click on Save.
    8. Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software.
    9. Double click on downloaded executable file.
    10. Click RUN on dialogue box.
    11. Choose Setup Language from the dialog box
    12. Install Shield will install all required modules on PC/laptop.
    13. Allow the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software to restart at the end of the installation.
    14. Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager by selecting: Start > Programs (All Programs) > Blackberry > Desktop Manager.
    15. Connect the BlackBerry to the PC with the cable / cradle.
    16. The Application Updates Available window will appear. Select Update Now.
    17. If the window does not appear, open the Application Loader.
    18. Click Next.
    19. If prompted, enter the Handheld Security Password, and then click Next.
    20. Select the applications to be updated or installed, and then click Next.
    21. Select Automatically back up the handheld application data... (Recommended), then click Next.
    22. Click Finish to begin the upgrade.
    23. The Application Loader Wizard will display a window showing the status of the update.
    24. Time of system upgrade may range from 20 minutes to a full hour. During this time, the Blackberry display screen will be blank. Do not unplug the device during the upgrade operation.
    25. Click Close.

Once you complete the steps above, your callers should no longer hear the loud background noises.

Again, we apologize for any inconveniences this issue has caused you. It has been a pleasure assisting you today. We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your concerns. We sincerely hope that you feel we have done that today. Should you feel your current concerns are not fully resolved, please reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Roselyne

Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    01-16-08 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD