Hey all...

My name is Eric and I am new here. Never had a smartphone and I dont really know much about them...

I think I really want an 8820, I really just want to be able to text with ease and use the WiFi and I do not think I would get a data-plan right away...

SO, my question is...with AT&T....if I am using Wifi...is it really free? I spoke to a CS person and they said even though I am using WiFi I would still be charged per use because I am still accessing the internet....is this correct? Isnt Wifi use free...??

I really want to be able to use a 8320, but that seems to be a whole other can of worms....

Please help!!

Eric
    02-05-08 04:58 PM
    Eric

That statement is not correct. To ensure that you would not be charged you will have a wireless connection manager so just go to the manager & disable the phone network then enable the Wifi then it will only be using the Wifi. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-08 12:05 AM
    I agree. No charge for wifi.
    02-06-08 12:57 AM
    I have been reading a lot about this...and I am still not sure about it, but is there a Gmail app that can be used with WiFi? Or something to that extent (with no data plan)...
    02-06-08 07:53 PM
    They do charge. You either have a data plan or they will charge you per use 1 cent per KB.

I recently purchased BB 8820 with AT & T. I didn�t sign up for any data plans and wanted to use the Wi-Fi with the free hotspots(home, starbucks..). In looking at my account online, I found that AT& T enrolled me in a BB Personal data plan for $30/month. I called AT&T to cancel it...they were willing to cancel the data plan but cautioned me that if the personal data plan is cancelled I will basically be off the internet and I will be charged $0.01 per Kilobyte every time I use any Wi-Fi connection even if it was my home Wi-Fi network.

Shifting gears...I want to use the Wi-Fi without enrolling in a data plan and without having to pay the $.01/KB fees. Is this possible if I unlocked the phone? In other words, would unlocking the phone unlock the Wi-Fi feature also? (and all of the other features like voice dialing? I want to use the BB 8820 like a laptop with no additional charges.
    Thanks
    Ashraf
    02-07-08 10:41 AM
    They do charge. You either have a data plan or they will charge you per use 1 cent per KB.

I recently purchased BB 8820 with AT & T. I didn’t sign up for any data plans and wanted to use the Wi-Fi with the free hotspots(home, starbucks..). In looking at my account online, I found that AT& T enrolled me in a BB Personal data plan for $30/month. I called AT&T to cancel it...they were willing to cancel the data plan but cautioned me that if the personal data plan is cancelled I will basically be off the internet and I will be charged $0.01 per Kilobyte every time I use any Wi-Fi connection even if it was my home Wi-Fi network.

Shifting gears...I want to use the Wi-Fi without enrolling in a data plan and without having to pay the $.01/KB fees. Is this possible if I unlocked the phone? In other words, would unlocking the phone unlock the Wi-Fi feature also? (and all of the other features like voice dialing? I want to use the BB 8820 like a laptop with no additional charges.
    Thanks
    Ashraf
    That is so wrong it is not even funny. At&t cannot charge you if you are usign someone elses WiFi...like if you are home for instance...connected to YOUR own wireless internet, how could they charge you for being connected to your own internet??

They are wrong and I spoke to someone last night who spoke to a 'manager' - they are really dumb...and they said I would not be charged and notated "on my account," yeah OK....ha...anyway....who knows.

wait to see it on your account...and then complain
    02-07-08 01:53 PM
    The issue here is that some data features are only available via the cell towers, even if you are using a data connection. For example, the GMail application does not use a WiFi connection no matter how much you want it to; therefore if you use it, even while connected to WiFi, then you'll be using OTA data from ATT.

The "solution" to this, if you will, is to go into your connection settings, turn off the mobile network, and enable only WiFi. ATT will not see any of your data usage and you won't be billed for it. Normal web surfing and a lot of applications will work just fine.

The downside to this is that your phone (and push email) will be down during the time you have the mobile network turned off.

Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.....much as we'd all like.

-Eric

That is so wrong it is not even funny. At&t cannot charge you if you are usign someone elses WiFi...like if you are home for instance...connected to YOUR own wireless internet, how could they charge you for being connected to your own internet??

They are wrong and I spoke to someone last night who spoke to a 'manager' - they are really dumb...and they said I would not be charged and notated "on my account," yeah OK....ha...anyway....who knows.

wait to see it on your account...and then complain
    02-13-08 10:40 AM
    The issue here is that some data features are only available via the cell towers, even if you are using a data connection. For example, the GMail application does not use a WiFi connection no matter how much you want it to; therefore if you use it, even while connected to WiFi, then you'll be using OTA data from ATT.

The "solution" to this, if you will, is to go into your connection settings, turn off the mobile network, and enable only WiFi. ATT will not see any of your data usage and you won't be billed for it. Normal web surfing and a lot of applications will work just fine.

The downside to this is that your phone (and push email) will be down during the time you have the mobile network turned off.

Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.....much as we'd all like.

-Eric
    The way I get around this.....is I have my internet (through At&t) shut OFF...aka my pay per use internet, is shut OFF.

If I go to my browser when I am NOT connected a WiFi signal..I cannot connect. Now if I am connected to a WiFi signal.....and I go to iGoogle...

I can see my inbox for gmail no problem....

Problem solved.

But yes the actual Gmail App does NOT work over WiFi. But mobile google has the iGoogle homepage and my gmail inbox refreshes about every 15mins automatically by itself....

I have also found the MLB app works over WiFi......weather.com has a mobile page, yellowpages.com.......

The only app I have so far is MLB right now

Eric
    Last edited by -sandman-; 02-13-08 at 12:54 PM.
    02-13-08 12:51 PM
    Isnt only free if you have their Broadband at home?
    02-15-08 09:16 PM
    Isnt only free if you have their Broadband at home?
    Nope...anywhere there is WiFi......im on it. Free
    02-16-08 09:44 AM
    Hello! I'm new to the forum and new to the Blackberry. I just got an 8820 through AT&T. I initially called them to cancel my account, and they offered me a deal to stay since I've been with them so long. I told the rep I wanted a wifi phone so I could use it to check email and basic web stuff when I was near a hotspot. I was told the 8820 would do this. I was told I would not need a data plan to use the wifi.

Well I got the phone today and couldn't get it to connect to my home network. I called AT&T and the sales rep told me it only works with the BB plan. I said if I had the plan I wouldn't need the wifi and that's not what I was told initially. At that point I got a little less pleasant on the phone.

He connected me to tech support, and she told me that there is nothing that says a data plan is necessary to use the wifi. She also said they could not help me get it to work and then gave me the support number for BB. I haven't talked to anyone at BB yet since there is a charge and I couldn't find a prompt for my type of issue.

So my question is (4 paragraphs later) is it possible to connect to a wifi network without a data plan? If so how? Should I just send it back and go with something else?

Sorry to the long post and thanks in advance!
    02-19-08 08:15 PM
    I am connected to my home network right now and I am able to connect to many other networks with my 8320 on ATT with no data plan...

I have read a lot of people having problems connecting to their linksys router...I am not sure of the fix, but do some reading and youll find it.

I assure you it has nothing to do with ATT or not having a data plan...it DOES work, just you are having an individual problem.
    02-19-08 10:08 PM
    Hello! I'm new to the forum and new to the Blackberry. I just got an 8820 through AT&T. I initially called them to cancel my account, and they offered me a deal to stay since I've been with them so long. I told the rep I wanted a wifi phone so I could use it to check email and basic web stuff when I was near a hotspot. I was told the 8820 would do this. I was told I would not need a data plan to use the wifi.

Well I got the phone today and couldn't get it to connect to my home network. I called AT&T and the sales rep told me it only works with the BB plan. I said if I had the plan I wouldn't need the wifi and that's not what I was told initially. At that point I got a little less pleasant on the phone.

He connected me to tech support, and she told me that there is nothing that says a data plan is necessary to use the wifi. She also said they could not help me get it to work and then gave me the support number for BB. I haven't talked to anyone at BB yet since there is a charge and I couldn't find a prompt for my type of issue.

So my question is (4 paragraphs later) is it possible to connect to a wifi network without a data plan? If so how? Should I just send it back and go with something else?

Also, call back and have them connect you to the BB Support, there is no charge if the ATT rep forwards you....
    02-19-08 10:12 PM

You should be able to connect to the internet using the wi-fi. I cancelled my BB data plan and I'm able to connect using the wi-fi. I'm using BB 8820. Make sure that VPN is disabled...Go to Options, security options, VPN, uncheck to disable the VPN. disable the edge network and try to connect to the internet using the wi-fi.
    02-22-08 05:27 PM
    I got it working! Thanks everybody!
    02-22-08 11:21 PM
    I also have my pay-per-use internet SHUT-OFF through the carrier. This is so I cannot connect to EDGE if I do not have a WiFi connection.

Im not sure if it is even possible to connect to the internet with no BB data plan and be paying-per-KB, but knowing At&t, it probably would work and they would have a ball charging you..
    02-23-08 11:02 AM
    I am connected to my home network right now and I am able to connect to many other networks with my 8320 on ATT with no data plan...

I have read a lot of people having problems connecting to their linksys router...I am not sure of the fix, but do some reading and youll find it.

I assure you it has nothing to do with ATT or not having a data plan...it DOES work, just you are having an individual problem.
    Works fine for me on AT&T with no data plan. I think some people have problems because of their router rather than the phone.
    02-27-08 05:51 PM
    I got an 8820 today and I'm having trouble connecting to the browser. I turned off the internet pay-per-use a long time ago because I would accidentally hit the button with my old phone and rack up charges. I do not have a data plan with the phone I just got.

How do I connect to wifi with no pay per use? I'm assuming that it is possible because I was told by more than one AT&T person that I shouldn't have any problems.

I'm currently connected to a wireless router (there's a yellow minus sign to the right of the network name) and I get a message that says: "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result, the Browser cannot retieive any web pages. Please try again when you are in a different location, or contact your service provider if the problem persists." I'd just like to connect every once in a while and check email, etc, but I don't want to pay for a data plan/any pay per use. Thanks!
    02-27-08 10:55 PM
    Update! I found the setting: Settings > Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default Browser Configuration - set to Wi-Fi Browser

Problem solved. Hopefully this will help someone else that has their data turned off that was getting the same messages as me.
    02-28-08 07:19 AM
    Hi Everyone!! I am new to BB and to this forum... just wondering... i recently got the BB Curve 8320... my wi fi is greyed out and i don't know how to switch it to the black symbol... i do not have a data plan and i am with ROGERS in Canada... PLEASE HELP!!! also my opera mini doesn't at all work.. it says there is an error... although downloading it through my phone worked no problem??

HELP!!!

*clueless*
    02-28-08 10:15 PM
    You should be able to connect to the internet using the wi-fi. I cancelled my BB data plan and I'm able to connect using the wi-fi. I'm using BB 8820. Make sure that VPN is disabled...Go to Options, security options, VPN, uncheck to disable the VPN. disable the edge network and try to connect to the internet using the wi-fi.
    I have been fighting this for 3 weeks. The above instructions seemed to be the solution. But, having also an 8820 I dont see the options the way are described above. I have no place to disable VPN. And I dont see where to disable the edge network. My problem is that I cannot connect to my (or to any other router) using Wifi, unless I enable data service, in which case I am using ATT and paying for it. Wifi diagnostics says: "Unable to adquire IP address".
    I asked two ATT reps and I got two different, contradictory answers.
    03-02-10 09:26 PM
    Hi,

I use the BB 8820 and I get an error message "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any web pages. Please try again when you are in a different location, or contact your service provider if the problem persists" when I try to connect to the browser using Wi-Fi. I use AT&T provider and do not have a data plan.

I tried the solution you have provided, but invain.

Settings > Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default Browser Configuration - set to Wi-Fi Browser

My BB device has
    Default Browser Configuration : Internet Browser (I also have the option to select Hot spot Browser). I even tried using the Hot spot Browser.
    Default MDS Browser Configuration : Internet Browser (No other options available)

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Sri.
    10-20-10 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD