Just picked up an 8530 came from 8330 with NO wifi, how does the phone prioritize wifi or 3G. I have wifi setup at home & work, when it is connected to these wifi points does the phone automatically use wifi? Does this mean I could talk on speakerphone & use my wifi for data while on a call.
    thanks in advance.
    04-06-10 10:50 AM
    I'm new to BBs but as I understand it, it'll prioritize WiFi for everything (email/bbm) but the actual browsers. The browsers will only use wifi when you have "Hotspot Browser" selected as the default browser.
    04-06-10 12:52 PM
    The browser uses wifi if the wifi icon displays as white in the browser.

As for how prioritization works, it depends on the app.
    04-06-10 01:13 PM
    If your Wifi is selected "ON" on the device, and it's connected to the Wifi network.. It'll use Wifi. And you should be able to use data while on call while on the Wifi network.

Be careful leaving your Wifi "ON" on your phone though, because it'll drain the battery much more quickly than if you have it turned off. I only turn my Wifi on when I'm at home, and always turn it off when I leave. My general rule is, if I'm not USING Wi-Fi, it's turn off on my phone.
    04-06-10 01:14 PM
    I have no problem with leaving my wifi turned on all day long. I'm sure it does use a little more battery, but my Storm makes it though the day no problem. I like leaving it on because I go from home to school to work, so whenever I get close to one of those places my phone connects to them.

This app WiFi Comrade - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store will toggle your wifi on and off depending on your location. I've never used it though.
    04-06-10 01:39 PM
    Wifi comrade is pretty cool, it turns it off based on which cell tower you are connected to.

This means it might take a little while to register all of the possible cell towers in a given area (if you connect to multiple), but once you do that it works fairly well.
    04-06-10 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD