I've got a few profiles in my 8350i (home, work, jobsite) that are WEP & WPA. I'm finding that probably 50% of the time my phone fails to connect when it's in range. Other times I'll find it connects just fine. These security settings do not ever change so that's not an issue. What gives?

Roveer
    06-28-09 12:53 PM
    I noticed with mine that it tends to disconnect after a while and wont reconnect unless I uncheck the wifi radio on and turn it to off, then turn it back on and it resets it and works fine, but every once in a while it'll just disconnect. I use WEP on my wifi at home, and my friend has WPA, and does the same with his connection when I'm over his house. It's possible it may just be a glitch in the program for connecting, I'm not exactly sure, but resetting it may get it to work right again.
    06-28-09 02:29 PM
    i had this issue with crackberry #2 (i am on my 4th 8350i).. in that case the radio was defective, confirmed per the sprint tech at a local store. what im seeing on my 4th crackberry is that it WILL connect but sometimes it takes a while for it to do so. my home network is running N and b/g and it will eventually connect.. some days when i get home its within a few minutes.. other times it may take some hours before it connects. my FIRST BRAND NEW out of the box 8450i would connect to my network and the job's network AS WELL as my church network within seconds of sniffing it out.. i had to send that one in due to the usb port being defective... the last 3 8350i's have all acted the same in regards to connecting to wifi. i spoke with bb techs and their stance is that wifi networks are so diverse that they cant give any supporting information as to why their radios in these devices are not constant.... if you have a local sprint store with a tech, have them smoke it over. assuming you have insurance they will just send you another one... i use WIFI when i can as iden speed is so 1992...
    06-29-09 06:51 PM
    I've had no problems with mine and its set ti linksys at home and it picks everything else up when I'm out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 11:24 PM
    With a little tinkering I have found the following:

When I'm in a known WIFI area and I'm not connecting I would cycle the WIFI radio by turning it off and back on. One would think that would make it connect to the AP. Most of the time it does NOT.

Yesturday I decided to turn off all connections (including iden) and then just turn WIFI back on. This time it did associate pretty quickly and gave me a white WIFI logo.

I'm thinking it might be having trouble releasing from an iden and reluctant to switch over to WIFI.

Either way it's flaky, sometimes it switches sometimes it doesn't. Just one of those little annoyanes that us digital types like to understand. Really is a PITA when you know your in a WIFI spot and your browser is saying you don't have network connectivity. If I had the 5 minutes to wait for a full reboot it would probably work just fine. Now that's quality.

Roveer
    07-01-09 10:42 AM
    i think part of this is that these radios are all in close proximity to each other, so they share crosstalk, electronic noise, shielding, RF, etc etc...you have the processor sorting out iDEN data, voice data and other overhead data and in that tiny space there has to be compromises. and thats what we are seeing... now as i last posted,, my crackberry has sniffed out and logged in automatically at each wifi hotspot i have stored in it...funny... :-)
    07-01-09 09:51 PM
    a lot of times, it seems like my wifi signal isnt very strong. it will connect compltely fine to any wifi computer in my house, but when i try to use wifi with the BB (and i'll be standing right next to my router) the signal strength seems pretty poor
    07-05-09 09:11 PM
    a lot of times, it seems like my wifi signal isnt very strong. it will connect compltely fine to any wifi computer in my house, but when i try to use wifi with the BB (and i'll be standing right next to my router) the signal strength seems pretty poor
    could be your router. i had the same issue with my belkin.... i bought a linksys and have had no problems.
    07-06-09 05:09 AM
    I also had that issue changed routers and it solved the problem
    07-06-09 09:47 AM
    I had an issue where WiFi takes forever to connect (or never connects) unless Bluetooth is turned off. I can't have both on at the same time. Has anybody else had this issue?
    07-24-09 10:34 AM
    Maybe this is a stupid question, why do you use the wifi feature? I see no benefit with the data plan?
    07-24-09 08:46 PM
    emails and text while on the phone for starters.... faster net...
    07-24-09 09:48 PM
    I was having an issue with my wifi disconnecting and I would uncheck the wifi radio and turn it to off, then turn it back on and it resets it and then it work fine. I replaced my router with a new Linksys wireless N router and set my security WEP and this corrected the problem. It has worked fine for the last week with no disconnects.
    08-08-09 04:40 PM
    Hey folks. I was wondering if you guys know how I can get the BB curve 8350i to connect to WPA. My options are currently WEP and PSK(pre-shared key, which i think means WPA but when I try it it won't connect).
    When the connection fails it says, "Reason: failed to find IP address.
    This is really bugging me as I haven't been able to try any wifi.
    Thanks
    08-14-09 08:27 PM
    ive had that issue and the most common problem was the router sometimes it makes tests on its own from the system and thats normal once a week reboot ur router nothing wrong will happen theres a reset button push it more than a minute so it starts clean, another thing is too get in router config and see if you have intruders.
    08-14-09 09:39 PM
    I have tried WPA and WEP both. I have had issues with the WiFi connection dropping off with WPA, but since I switched to WEP I have had no problems.

Mike
    08-16-09 09:44 PM
    Maybe this is a stupid question, why do you use the wifi feature? I see no benefit with the data plan?
    The benefit is that you can only get some of the larger information sites with wifi such as youtube.
    08-17-09 07:32 AM
    Mine is working fine now for at least 2-3 weeks after changing out my router and setting security to WEP.

Mike
    08-17-09 08:09 PM
    Hi..Im not clear about using Wifi. I have it in the house and the phone connects up to it..how do I know the browser is using wifi instead of native browser? Is there a way to connect to the internet using wifi without hitting the Web button--which seems to bring up the native browser? Thanks for your help. K.
    10-02-09 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD