Hi I'm planning on upgrading my i880 to a 8350i. I don't want to spend the extra money for the data plan. I don't think its fair to pay $30 and not get as much as you would with a sprint phone. So I'm asking if I can use just wifi for data and still call and text with the network ? Also, if I do this. Is there a way to make sure I don't run up my bill using data ?
    12-21-08 10:27 AM
    What arent you getting for the extra $30?
    I can't imagine what else I'd need on a phone, (at least yet).
    I've noticed some apps will go to wifi when it's available, some won't.
    If you're using any after market apps or browsers (opera) they seem to try the nextel service most times, where the browser built in will easily switch over to wifi. I'm thinking it'd be a crap shoot as to whether you'll run up charges or not, I could sure see it happening.
    Now you can turn off the phone while on wifi, thereby making sure not to incur charges... :?
    12-21-08 12:53 PM
    I agree, what is it that you don't think you'd be getting? Also why would you even want a BB and NOT have a Data plan? That would be like owning a Rolls Royce but being to cheap to put gas in it to drive it.
    12-21-08 12:59 PM
    Well I think the nextel shouldn't charge the same as sprint because they don't have high speed, tv, radio, etc.
    12-21-08 08:58 PM
    I hardly use Sprint Radio and TV. You're still getting a lot of bang for your buck. And think, you may not get Sprint Radio and TV, but you get MMS.
    12-21-08 09:37 PM
    I hardly use Sprint Radio and TV. You're still getting a lot of bang for your buck. And think, you may not get Sprint Radio and TV, but you get MMS.
    I already have unlimited texting/pics/vids. Will I need a data plan if I get the blackberry to send pics ? What makes it unfair is that I'll have to be near wifi to really take advantage of it. For example, can I watch youtube without being on wifi ?
    12-22-08 07:42 AM
    I already have unlimited texting/pics/vids. Will I need a data plan if I get the blackberry to send pics ? What makes it unfair is that I'll have to be near wifi to really take advantage of it. For example, can I watch youtube without being on wifi ?
    Not quite sure what kind of plan you have, so I can't really help you out on the question about sending pics.

Not sure about the youtube question. Just bite the bullet and get the blackberry plan. You'll be much happier.
    12-22-08 10:14 AM
    If I'm going to get the plan I think I'm better off with the sprint blackberry.
    12-22-08 10:11 PM
    If I'm going to get the plan I think I'm better off with the sprint blackberry.
    If you don't need Direct Connect, and don't mind having 4.3 instead of 4.6 and waiting until the 4.5 update is released, there's no reason to get the 8350i.
    12-22-08 10:17 PM
    Hey first post here. I have the 8350i coming soon. Question about the Wifi. I dont really understand a few of these things. After reading around on here people are saying the IDEN is slow, but with the phone having WiFi it shouldnt be a problem with speeds.

My question.... If im on a job out in the field, what would the phones WiFi connect to? I would have to search for an available network and connect to it? OR is it mainly for when im at home or in the office and can connect to one of the networks there?

sorry if these are stupid questions. Thanks.
    12-26-08 11:41 PM
    First - Sprint WILL NOT activate a blackberry WITHOUT a bb plan or being on an Everything plan.

Second - also unless you constantly around wifi your going to miss EVDO speeds.

Third - if you're not wanting to have the full exprenince of a blackberry, then you need to get less of a calabour type phone. BB's are really for those that want everything on the go...E-mail, Internet, IM, Text.

Blackberries are messaging powerhouses before anything else. If that's not really what you want you're wasting precious $$$$$.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 06:30 AM
    I have 3 wifi networks saved so if I am home, work or in the lunch room, I alway have the wifi connected. Otherwise you just have to search for hotspots.
    12-29-08 10:16 PM
    Have you thought about going to the Simply Everything plan? I talk and text up a storm and that right there is worth it for me. I havent checked in to see if the Simply Everything plan covers Wifi usage or not.
    12-30-08 03:08 PM
    Hello, im a new BB user. Just got the 8350. I have a noob question. Figure I would just reply to this thread instead of start a new one. My question is pretty basic to you BB vets probably.

I cant find this in the user guide anywhere. When you are hooked up to WIFI and connected to a network(say my home network) do you just go to "browser" in the menu and it would use the WIFI connection instead of the nextel connection?

It says on the top rght corner that I have a WIFI connection and everything. Just wasnt sure when im browsing if im using WIFI or nextel.

Thanks.
    01-01-09 02:22 PM
    When your on wifi the wifi logo will light up. You should see a speed diference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 04:02 PM
    Check out the WiFi guide in my signature

It will help you out and answer your Qs...
    01-01-09 04:19 PM
    I'm an employee on a business account, no BIS (yet).

If you don't have a BIS plan your messaging is limited to PIN messaging, accessing web messengers and mail via the WIFI, or Beejive 20$ which supports wifi access.

The MMS option doesn't even show up in the menu if you don't have BIS, the same is true for BB maps.

Additional themes are non existent for 4.6 OS as plazmic can only export to 4.5 currently.

Quite a few games are out there for a price, but finding anything free that is compatible is still a challenge.

Time to ask the boss if I can throw the extra 40$ at him a month for BIS because without it, your messaging mobility ability (say that ten times fast) is severely limited.
    01-01-09 06:53 PM
    well I cant get my wifi on. I have a boost plan on my nextel bb 8350i, EVERYTHING works except that. tried everything to turn it on, but nothing. anyone can help
    10-05-09 09:22 AM
    You guys are great i freaking love this site.
    01-27-10 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD