I have the opportunity to purchase the blackberry 8330 used for $100 or the blackberry 8530 new for $150 plus the $100 mail in rebate -- which would you choose? What are some differences? I'm torn between the two, i've never owned a blackberry but am very excited about getting one very soon!
    08-09-10 06:50 PM
    Get the 8530, or better yet get the best Blackberry your carrier provides because once you get one and learn how to use it and learn more about Blackberry phones you will wish you would have gotten the one that is better than the one you have.
    08-09-10 07:01 PM
    I should have included it was with Sprint. The Bold 9650 is the best blackberry they have, but it's 299.99 then the mail in rebate which would put it down to 199.99..which I really don't have at the moment..
    08-09-10 07:06 PM
    Rolo, I see you have the 8330 -- do you like it? Do you think it's worth $100 used (it looks like it's brand new, it had a crazy hard cover on it)? I heard the battery life on the 8530 isn't very good at all and that the camera on the 8530 is shot as well. I'm really torn between these two. If I do purchase the 8330, I will still be eligible for an upgrade if I do get the money and want to get the 9650. I'm really torn on what to do.
    08-09-10 07:09 PM
    You can get the Sprint 9650 Bold at Best Buy for $149.00 with an instant rebate with a new 2 year contract.
    08-09-10 07:09 PM
    You can get the Sprint 9650 Bold at Best Buy for $149.00 with an instant rebate with a new 2 year contract.
    The only thing is, my phone number isn't eligible for an upgrade, my grandmother's is (which is on the same plan). Can Best Buy do anything about that? Sprint already told me that I could use her upgrade.
    08-09-10 07:14 PM
    I am with Sprint also. I am very happy with their service and their pricing. Save up or find a way to buy the 9650. Trust me you will wish you had it if you get a Blackberry and really like it. The 9650 will be able to run the latest OS and the 8330 and 8530 will not.

I will say that even though my 8330 has been flawless I really wish I had the 9650 but unless I buy one outright for full price I can not get one for another year when I am eligible for an upgrade.

The 8530 has wifi and the 8330 does not. The 8330 has a trackball and the 8530 has a trackpad. The 8530 has OS 5 and the 8330 does not.

The camera on the 8330 is OK and it has a flash on it and I don't think the 8530 does.

I really like the way Blackberrys work and I wish I had the best one available on Sprint so I will probably have to pay to play.
    Last edited by Rolo Tomasee; 08-09-10 at 07:19 PM.
    08-09-10 07:17 PM
    If your going to get it for Best Buy, it's just about the same as through Sprint. You can just get the phone and tell them to not activate it, and then do it on your line instead of hers so she doesn't have to get a data plan. Trust me, your going to want the Bold with OS 6. If you don't have the money, I would wait and save for it because you will be happier with the Bold. And this is coming from somebody with the 8530
    08-09-10 10:53 PM
    If your going to get it for Best Buy, it's just about the same as through Sprint. You can just get the phone and tell them to not activate it, and then do it on your line instead of hers so she doesn't have to get a data plan. Trust me, your going to want the Bold with OS 6. If you don't have the money, I would wait and save for it because you will be happier with the Bold. And this is coming from somebody with the 8530
    Ok, so all I have to do is tell her that I would rather activate it myself? And all i'll have to do is pay for the phone and take it to the sprint store? It just sounds like something else would be involved because that would be too easy to get around the contract thing.
    08-09-10 11:02 PM
    Ok, so all I have to do is tell her that I would rather activate it myself? And all i'll have to do is pay for the phone and take it to the sprint store? It just sounds like something else would be involved because that would be too easy to get around the contract thing.
    I am almost positive you can do that. You don't even have to go to the Sprint store unless you want them to change your contacts over. If you have an existing account, you can change phones online. But Best Buy should be able to do that, just go in and say you want to upgrade your phone but not activate it. I don't think they would force you to activate it in the store, but just make sure to state that before buying it that you don't want it activated there.
    08-09-10 11:07 PM
    I am almost positive you can do that. You don't even have to go to the Sprint store unless you want them to change your contacts over. If you have an existing account, you can change phones online. But Best Buy should be able to do that, just go in and say you want to upgrade your phone but not activate it. I don't think they would force you to activate it in the store, but just make sure to state that before buying it that you don't want it activated there.
    Sounds good, I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if it works out. Thank you!
    08-09-10 11:12 PM
    Sounds good, I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if it works out. Thank you!
    No problem glad I could help out. PM me on how it goes!
    08-09-10 11:13 PM
    Little known fact; the 8330 does have os 5. If your plan doesn't end up working out to your liking I'm probably the only one who would say go with the 8330. The 8330 is a little slow, but tough as nails. Whereas I cannot vouch for the 8350...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD