Does the 8330 have gps?
    05-31-09 04:37 AM
    Mine does!
    05-31-09 05:18 AM
    Yes it does but since its verizon (IIRC 8330 is verizon) it is locked down to just blackberry maps. Which in my case is all fine and dandy.
    05-31-09 05:28 AM
    Have you tried to use the blackstar navigation app? It will download but it won't link to any sats

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 06:22 PM
    What carrier are you with or considering?

Your profile says AT&T, which doesn't have the 8330.

As mentioned, Verizon limits the GPS on the 8330 to VZ Navigator (paid) and BB Maps (free) only.

Other carriers like Sprint, Bell, and US Cellular don't limit the GPS on their 8330. However, the newer Cuves on those carriers could be the 8330m model with MEID numbers, and those could have problems using GPS.

05-31-09 06:33 PM
    , the newer Cuves on those carriers could be the 8330m model with MEID numbers, and those could have problems using GPS.
    Like what? (just a question, not being confrontational)

I haven't used the GPS much other than messing around with it and have had no issues, at least nothing I noticed. Just wondering what to look for.
    05-31-09 07:47 PM
    No problem, Jim.

I remember reading a thread about this unfortunate soul who couldn't get his GPS working on his US Cellular 8330m, but his wife's 8330 didn't have any problems.

05-31-09 07:53 PM
    The company I work for has 9 Blackberries on USCC until last week they were all 8830's and we have never had a problem using the GPS. We got our first 8330 last week, it is MEID and we were unable to make the GPS work even with Blackberry Maps. We spend several hours on the phone with USCC tech support and then were escalated to RIM. We were then told that we would need to RMA the phone. Since we only had it 2 days we returned it to the dealer we got it from and got a replacement. That being MEID also still did not work. We are still waiting to see what is going to be figured out. I do not know if it is a 8330 problem or MEID.
    FYI - We also run these through a BPS which has no effect on the GPS but we are unable to push applications to the 8330. I am not sure if this is related since we were working through the GPS issure first.
    05-31-09 08:06 PM
    No problem, Jim.

I remember reading a thread about this unfortunate soul who couldn't get his GPS working on his US Cellular 8330m, but his wife's 8330 didn't have any problems.

Ah ok. Well then I guess mine is working fine.......so far. I guess I'll see when I use it if I get lost.
    05-31-09 08:12 PM
    Some of the 8330's and 8330m's have the gpsOne setting in the firmware left blank and the GPS will not work until the settings are entered. There is a giant thread in the GPS and Mapping forum on how to do this.

05-31-09 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD