I use a wireless router at home because I get horable service where I live. So, why is it that if I am connected through wifi I lose service all together if I am getting no signal through my carrier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 02:03 AM
    because I get horable service where I live.
    you my friend, answered your own question. thats probably because of the weak signal. and wrapping your hands around the phone to browse wifi, doesnt help your phones ability to lock onto a cell tower, when it already has a bad signal to begin with.

if you are connecting via UMA, phone calls and data are going through the router, so why would the phone attempt to connect to the cell network, when its got a strong UMA signal. cant have both.
    06-18-09 03:46 AM
    Ok, so if they are 2 separate connections, why do I keep losing my uma? Wouldn't the stronger uma over power the extremely weak cell signal?

06-19-09 02:09 AM
    well in my 8900, if i go into options > mobile network, my second line shows "connection preference". do you have this on the 8320 since its also a wifi/uma device? mine is set to wi-fi preferred. if yours is set to mobile network only or mobile network preferred, that could be a source of your problem. make sure it says "wifi preferred". that way, anytime a wifi connection is detected, it will automatically default to it instead of the mobile network.
    06-19-09 03:11 AM
    Yes it is set to wifi prefered. I have went through and checked all of my settings. I found another thread on here "complete wifi how to" and went through and checked everything it said so now I will see if I keep dropping my uma.

06-19-09 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD