i have had my bb8320 2 weeks and tried to get it online through home wireless router. when i set up wifi network, it seems connected, but it greyed out with a yellow sign on the right of the name of the link. i open the browser but its not working. btw, i dont have the option of wifi-browser in the browser menu, only hotspot, does it matter?
    can any help, thanks!
    06-24-08 04:33 AM
    not sure..but heres a BUMP so someone who knows will post
    06-24-08 04:39 AM
    if theres something wrong with my browser, then where to download the wifi browser? also, shall i change the APN?
    06-24-08 06:28 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The Browse was called Wifi Browser in v4.2, but has been renamed Hotspot in later versions.

Have you installed an updated OS?

If you have, you should be aware that connection and Browser issues have been identified in some of the beta code.

06-24-08 10:07 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

Stoner is correct. The Browser option changed from WiFi browser to 'Hotspot' in later releases than OS 4.2.

Go to Menu > Manage Connections

See what it says next to WiFi (should be a Green Check Mark)

If it is a red X then turn on the WiFi option

If it is a yellow symbol then we need to troubleshoot your problem further:

1) Go to Services Status (report what you find)

2) Go to WiFi options then hit Menu > WiFi Diagnostics (report what you find)

3) From the WiFi diagnostics menu; hit Menu > Site Survey

The site survery will come up with all available WiFi networks, signal strengths, channel,etc. Look specifically at channel and see if yours conflicts with any other network... or if it is close. If so, you need to go into your WiFi router configuration and change the channel.

Some other questions:

Does your WiFi have security on it?
    Is your router Wireless G? Wireless N?

(if the router is Wirless N, that is the problem right off the bat)

Hope we can help
    06-24-08 10:15 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

Stoner is correct. The Browser option changed from WiFi browser to 'Hotspot' in later releases than OS 4.2.

Go to Menu > Manage Connections

See what it says next to WiFi (should be a Green Check Mark)

If it is a red X then turn on the WiFi option

If it is a yellow symbol then we need to troubleshoot your problem further:

1) Go to Services Status (report what you find)

2) Go to WiFi options then hit Menu > WiFi Diagnostics (report what you find)

3) From the WiFi diagnostics menu; hit Menu > Site Survey

The site survery will come up with all available WiFi networks, signal strengths, channel,etc. Look specifically at channel and see if yours conflicts with any other network... or if it is close. If so, you need to go into your WiFi router configuration and change the channel.

Some other questions:

Does your WiFi have security on it?
    Is your router Wireless G? Wireless N?

(if the router is Wirless N, that is the problem right off the bat)

Hope we can help
    Thanks for ur help.
    everything is fine in service status. heres problem in wifi diagnostics.
    VPN Status: Error: Link down UMA UMA wifi Available: green check mark Connection:red X Error Code: W004 Status: ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached. no conflict when running Site Survey and it is open.
    no security on WiFi, and its a Wireless G router.
    any further suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by w_k99; 06-24-08 at 11:34 AM. Reason: information missing
    06-24-08 11:30 AM
    I'm having the same problem. Can successfully connect to my home Wi-Fi network (802.11g, WPA2 security), but get the W004 DNS error. Did you every resolve your issue? And if so, what was the fix?
    08-07-08 10:29 AM
    Please follow my WiFi Guide : http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/com...ifi-how-47229/

That should help!
    08-07-08 10:41 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry Search Results

W004 - ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached
    The BlackBerry smartphone cannot contact a Domain Name System (DNS) server.
    An essential part of the connection process it to acquire an IP address. This is the failure your device is reporting.

The best way to troubleshoot a Wifi connection is to start with a reset to factory defaults on the router.

Try the connection when it is open. If that works, you can easly re-establish the security layer.
    08-07-08 10:43 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry Search Results

An essential part of the connection process it to acquire an IP address. This is the failure your device is reporting.

The best way to troubleshoot a Wifi connection is to start with a reset to factory defaults on the router.

Try the connection when it is open. If that works, you can easly re-establish the security layer.
    Exactly!! When you cannot establish a connection to the DNS server, a router power cycle usually fixes the problem!! Otherwise, contact your ISP or carrier
    08-07-08 10:58 AM
    i have the same problem...
    someone can help me?
    02-13-09 08:20 PM
    Did you read the entire Wi-Fi Guide linked above?
    02-13-09 08:29 PM
    Yes, read the wifi guide, that should help a lot. One more specific solution (which I believe is mentioned in the troubleshooting) is to check that your router is in/using DHCP. This will automatically assign an IP address to your BB, if that is not the case, then you'd have to manually enter an IP address for your BB and I don't know that that is possible...so use DHCP. Ofcourse you would first have to enter the passkey/code for any wireless security if you use anything like WEP/WPA. If you are using a MAC address filter you'll have to add the BB's mac address to the list (Options>Status>WLAN MAC).
    02-13-09 09:21 PM
    yes.. i read entire Wi-Fi Guide before ask for the solution. Buttt, my wifi doesnt work.
    I live im Brazil, and today i tried to connect my bb at mc donalds, and did not work again.
    Help me please, what can I do to make my bb work well??
    02-14-09 07:46 PM
    I forgot to say that:
    the problem show when I stopped to use the internet from my carrier called VIVO.
    any suggestions?

tnkss..
    02-15-09 06:56 AM
    someone help me please!
    02-15-09 09:25 PM
    I am having the same problem. I am using the curve 8220 and although I can connect to wifi to browse the internet, I cannot connect to UMA. I have reset the wifi settings on my phone and reset my router but I still cannot connect to UMA. I am getting the same W004 error code. Anybody have any idea why this is happening to us?
    02-17-09 05:20 PM
    What kind of router(s) do you have?
    02-17-09 08:45 PM
    I had a chat with the tmobile people today and got my problem fixed. I ended up having to reset the blackberry to factory defaults. Now I am connected to UMA. I would recommend using the blackberry desktop manager program to backup all of the data and settings on the phone before anyone tries this. The Tmobile people couldn't tell me exactly what was happening that kept me from connecting but it's all fixed now.

If you still want to know, I have a cheap d-link router of my own and use the wireless network at my school most of the time. I'm not sure what brand access point they use.

If UMA used to work but stopped and is giving you a W004 error code for a long time I would suggest resetting the blackberry. it worked for me.
    02-19-09 04:17 PM
    I have a T-Mo 8900 (v4.6.1.250) & Linksys WRT160N, so if you have that combination, perhaps this will work for you.

Where my UMA had been working fine, a few days ago it suddenly stopped with the same W004 error. I googled and read a number of different forum topics on the subject, but the suggestion that I disable N from my router was completely unacceptable as I use my notebook wirelessly all the time and depend on the faster connection afforded by N. What I tried, which seemed to work, was to set my router's wireless settings as follows:
    • WiFi config: manual
    • Network mode: mixed
    • Radio band: Auto
    • Wide channel: Auto
    • Standard channel: Auto

It got things working again and I'm getting full UMA. Hope that helps.
    Nick
    07-08-09 06:26 PM
    Im having this problem also, but where it is different for me is that it will connect sometimes, but only for a short period. and will doing a factory reset also remove the "unlock code" i got on my phone so that i can use at&t on a t-mobile phone?
    12-15-09 11:10 PM
    Im having this problem also, but where it is different for me is that it will connect sometimes, but only for a short period. and will doing a factory reset also remove the "unlock code" i got on my phone so that i can use at&t on a t-mobile phone?
    No, Unlocking is a one time procedure.
    12-16-09 10:15 AM
    is the Wifi without a data plan going to be much weaker and slower when you go on the internet? im considering whether i should change to a 8320 from my 8310 that i just bought off of craigslist 2 weeks ago
    12-17-09 07:24 PM
    hi!

is it possible to make my Yahoo Messenger and BB Messenger work on WLAN without BIS/BES activation on my service provider? appreciate if someone would share a walk through about this.. thanks!
    01-04-10 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD