Hi-Thanks in advance for the help. I spilled some coffee on my keyboard today, and the keyboard still wors somewhat. The space bar will type "nm" the n key, z key, c key and m key type the same thing. Some keys work, and other show the different letters. Is it too far gone? Can I take this apart and clean the board with contact cleaner or alchol? If not can I replace the board under the keyboard?
    Thanks!!!
    06-23-09 09:50 AM
    You can try taking the keyboard off and cleaning with contact cleaner/alcohol, but make sure the battery is out.

No, you can't change the board under the keypad, it is part of the main circuitboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 10:16 AM
    I've seen this before!

This is almost as bad as dropping your phone in the pool. Well, not as bad, but....... there is a slim to none chance your berry will survive this incident. What happened is the coffee got under the tiny membranes on the keyboard printed circuit board and shorted. I've done some "autopsies" on a few of these and found actual burn marks (black residue from shorting) under the membrane and on the board itself. Many times, the trackball will be the first button pressed and has the biggest scars. Each button with moisture under it will short also and cause the strange mis-types.

It's probably be too late but I would have immediately taken the battery out, disassembled it completely and rinsed only the keyboard portion of the main board with alcohol to remove the coffee. Use canned air to gently blow on the affected section and put it in a bag of uncooked rice to completely dry. But as xliderider said, "you can't change the board under the keypad, it is part of the main circuitboard." Actually, the board IS the phone!

Live and learn. Sorry for the bad news. But if it's a 8300, you're probably ready to upgrade anyway.

Forgot to mention, there is one BIG positive in this - since the berry still fires up okay, do a backup through the DM. Or better yet, when you get a new berry, run the Device Switch Wizard and you'll have all of your information on your new phone.

PS - I have 2 spare 8300's as backup phones fs if you're interested.
    Last edited by shfjcs; 06-23-09 at 01:49 PM.
    06-23-09 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD