I've narrowed down my next-cell-phone choice to either an 8110 or 8120. (I'm buying them used--I'm cheap, at least for this purchase.)

[IMPORTANT NOTE: I do NOT plan to buy a data plan for email or anything else. Keeps costs low. Why by a Blackberry then? Because it's one of the few phones that syncs contacts/calendar with Outlook at also has a decent SMS-texting keyboard. If you've got other options, let me know.]

Seems like the key diffs are that the 8110 has GPS (but now Wi-Fi), and the 8120 has Wi-Fi (but no GPS). Is this correct?

How useful is the GPS with the data plan? What is primarily used for, for mapping/directions? Does it have features like: nearby stores/services upon request (like a TomTom can if you ask for "nearby restaurants")?

Will the Wi-Fi feature work without a dataplan? If so, can you surf the web without extra cost?

Can anyone expand on their respective Wi-Fi and/or GPS experience(s)?
    03-04-09 07:36 PM
    Any thoughts on this? I have to get a replacement phone immediately, my old phone croaked.

Thanks for any help!
    03-05-09 03:28 PM
    Without a data plan, I would say wifi trumps GPS. You can use a GPS without data for geocacheing and I think there is also an app that uses downloaded topo maps stored on your media card. However, using GPS with BB maps or google maps or WHERE or the like to get directions or find local points of interest will require a significant amount of data that I know I wouldn't want to pay for on a per kilobyte basis.

I personally find this functionality very useful and for me I would rather have GPS than the ability to get a faster internet connection at a select few locations where there is wifi.

At least with wifi you would have access to the internet from your BB some of the time without having to pay extra for it.

If I were in your shoes I would go with the 8120, but I think an 8110 with a data plan is better

Hope this helps you out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 04:02 PM
    Excellent, Mainiak Blaniak, just the feedback I sought. Thanks!
    03-05-09 04:13 PM
    I think the 8120 is your. best choice. I just switched from a curve 8310 with GPS. I too do not have and do not plan to get a data plan anytime soon because my carrier is asking for too much for one. I'm thrilled with the wifi feature...it is the feature I was looking for in a phone and couldn't be happier. I'm surrounded by wifi all day so I have access to my email and the web all day. Also, even if you don't have GPS, you can still install mapping software if you just want to browse or get directions...obviously it won't locate you on the map. I had the curve with GPS and found the feature pretty useless and slow. Also if you plan on not getting a data plan then there is no point of having GPS because if you use offline data, you'll only be able to see where you are on a map. If you want diections or if you want to search for places you'll need a data plan. Hope this helps you out. Check out the wifi board and see what apps are working with wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 09:52 AM
    8120 over 8110 for sure.

If you do not subscribe to the data plan the GPS is pointless, there are no maps.

Wifi and the Hotspot Browser will let you Browse the Internet without any data charges. You can use web based email like Google's Gmail, but you can not use any third party software.

03-07-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD