Ok, I know this is going to sound very strange but I'm not sure what to think of this situation:

Girl and I are on webcam (fully clothed) and she's browsing the internet and all of the sudden 80s music starts playing out of her computer.

I asked her where she was online - homedepot.com.

Obviously something is not right here, so I ask her what else she has open - yahoo messenger, and windows live messenger.

I have her close everything (completely exiting the messengers) and the music continues.

I then have her open up the task list and view the processes, but she didn't have the patience to stick with reading off every task. I had her check if IE was in the list (after she closed it) and it was not.

This is all I was able to check.

I am very concerned that someone may have hacker her sht thus the song selection that played: the first song she cannot remember, but then it went to the song Weird Science, and then Take These Broken Wings.

Is this a hacker joke like the hacker made music play to thank her for being on webcam for his delight or something?

Anyway she apparently left her computer on for the whole day which she never does, and even though it was sleeping I'm sure it was still connected to her wireless network. Thus allowing anyone in her wifi range or anyone connected to the entire internet to possibly hijack her pc.

So I've already done tons of google searches trying to determine where this started..

she said she only went to myspace home page, facebook home page, twitter home page, bed bath beyond, lowes, and then homedepot and that's where it started playing.

Any ideas? She already turned her computer off because she's too tired and grouchy (her words) so basically I'm running on nothing but the info I already typed.

Please help! Thanks!
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 07-15-09 at 03:38 AM.
    07-15-09 03:12 AM
    If I had to guess to what it was. I would say she had a myspace page open In another tab of IE That was playing 80's music. Prob when she when to the homedepot websight it opened in a new tab not a new window. So she was hearing it play in the other tab.
    07-15-09 03:40 AM
    She closed everything including the browser.. that's the problem :/

Basically I think the main thing comes down to is if any of you on here know of a virus that plays 80's music including the songs Weird Science and Take These Broken Wings.

google took me to threads from random years where people had issues with music coming out of nowhere, but they never mentioned the songs or when they did it was Happy Birthday or Fur Elise or something else.

Anyway beyond the virus we're more concerned that someone was possibly watching either of us and/or recording. Of course there's not really any way for either of us to go about preventing that from possibly happening (even though the odds should be 1 to a billion that any one person on the planet is being watched by a hacker on webcam, beacuse there's millions of webcams up all the time so what's the chance it would happen to be your's that gets hacked?)

She won't be able to run any scanning software until tomorrow, but if it was a specifically a hacker looking in on us and playing us music, it's not like it would make a difference.

But it's like... well than we'll just have to wait and see what the scans turn up, but if there is such a virus that plays 80s music, WOULDN'T SOMEONE HAVE BEEN INFECTED WITH IT BEFORE HER? I mean come on what are the chances... so yeah hopefully it wasn't a hacker and turns out to be a virus (but still, who wouldn't already know of such a virus, but that's why I came here because google isn't helping).
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 07-15-09 at 03:51 AM.
    07-15-09 03:45 AM
    Only thing I would know to do to see what showed or did not show would be to run a virus scan with fully updated defentions and might want to run a free online scanner as well , an also a malware type of scan there are two good scanners with free versions MBAM(Malwarebytes AntiMalware)this one has a forum with moderators who can asssist if needed,or SAS (SuperAntiSpware).Both of these have free versions which work well.You can also run programs such as Hijack this to see what is running,the mods on malwarebytes can instruct you on programs to run if you register there which like I said the program is free and so is registering so you can ask for help and for posting logs to be look at by them so they can help if needed.(bleeping computer . com is another site for help)
    Last edited by DavidNC; 07-15-09 at 04:43 AM.
    07-15-09 04:35 AM
    Yeah guess we'll just have to wait until tomorrow to run anything blah lol. Oh well if anyone has heard of this post up anyway of course :P

I have to go to bed now but thanks Rad and David for the advice, and anyone else in advance.

She already has Norton that came on her pc, and of course going to get spybot and adaware too, if there's any others in addition to what David said let me know.. of course I'm sure one of these will find something wrong, it's just going to be hard to figure out what file in the results it is.. hopefully it will be some obvious weird name, or otherwise if nothing comes up it was a hacker and that would not be gooooooooood!
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 07-15-09 at 04:39 AM.
    07-15-09 04:37 AM
    Change your wireless password too, and make it at least WPA if possible (not WEP).

Norton's garbage. Get AVG free or Avast! for the scan.

Either of the Messengers could have downloaded a music file and started playing. Check their logs for what happened during the last session.
    07-15-09 07:53 AM
    My wife got a virus last week that was playing random music. I don't know if it was 80s or not, but she took it to IT and they told her she had a rootkit that Macafee wasn't finding because it was disguising itself. Anyway, she reformatted.
    07-15-09 08:34 AM
    Change your wireless password too, and make it at least WPA if possible (not WEP).

Norton's garbage. Get AVG free or Avast! for the scan.

Either of the Messengers could have downloaded a music file and started playing. Check their logs for what happened during the last session.

how would I check the logs?
    07-15-09 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD