In the BB Jam, it was told that Blackberry has 80 million users worldwide. What does that numbers mean? Have they sold 80 million handsets so far? Or there are currently 80 million active users? Or something else......
    10-02-12 10:13 AM
    active users with active bb handsets
    10-02-12 10:15 AM
    It means 80,000,000 BlackBerry devices are paying RIM a monthly fee to use the BlackBerry services. This fee is every month, even on years old handsets if they want to continue to have BlackBerry services. The fee is collected by the carriers in the form of your BIS or BES service and a portion of it is sent to RIM.
    nneal likes this.
    10-02-12 10:16 AM
    It means 80,000,000 BlackBerry devices are paying RIM a monthly fee to use the BlackBerry services. This fee is every month, even on years old handsets if they want to continue to have BlackBerry services. The fee is collected by the carriers in the form of your BIS or BES service and a portion of it is sent to RIM.

Sounds good...It has the advantage of fee coming from 80 million users and it is adding users by million/s per quarter. Does it mean that RIM is loosing money on the device itself? then why is BB is in the red?

Sent from my  9900 using Tapatalk
    10-02-12 10:44 AM
    They are making virtually nothing on the majority of handsets they are selling. Their increases are mostly coming from emerging markets where the phones are sold almost at cost.

The BIS service revenue is not nearly enough to cover operating costs, so if RIM is not in the red already, they will be withou additional income. Carriers also dislike BIS and I'd be surprised if you saw it continue on BB10 devices.
    10-02-12 10:59 AM
    They are making virtually nothing on the majority of handsets they are selling. Their increases are mostly coming from emerging markets where the phones are sold almost at cost.

The BIS service revenue is not nearly enough to cover operating costs, so if RIM is not in the red already, they will be withou additional income. Carriers also dislike BIS and I'd be surprised if you saw it continue on BB10 devices.
    Isn't RIM dumping bis and going industry standard Microsoft exchange?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    10-02-12 11:03 AM
    They are making virtually nothing on the majority of handsets they are selling.

Are you saying that, for example, a 9900 costs +/- 500� to be made?

For what i know, an Iphone costs 150� to be made and it's sold as you know...

If that's the case, them RIM should try to get new manufacturers...
    10-02-12 11:05 AM
    Isn't RIM dumping bis and going industry standard Microsoft exchange?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe for some email services, but they would still need BIS for BBM and any other BlackBerry Apps that use the BIS service.
    10-02-12 11:05 AM
    In the BB Jam, it was told that Blackberry has 80 million users worldwide. What does that numbers mean? Have they sold 80 million handsets so far? Or there are currently 80 million active users? Or something else......
    from those 80 millions, 60 million are active BBM users...
    10-02-12 11:27 AM

I stated developing countries. Those people are buying mostly Curve devices which have razor thin profit margins.

Maybe for some email services, but they would still need BIS for BBM and any other BlackBerry Apps that use the BIS service.
    The Playbook will have BBM without BIS, so it's definitely not needed for that. I think BIS is dead in its current incarnation (the carrier NOC). But that said. I think they can provide a few of the more important services without the BIS NOC.
    10-02-12 02:31 PM

Not a good example - let's say they are making really good margins on the 9900 and they make up 5% of sales - the other 95% are cheaper devices sold at cost or a near loss*. That's before we get into the fact that the BOM of material for the device is not the total cost associated with selling the device.

* I made up the percentages but RIM's own financial tells us that they aren't making any money on hardware however it shakes out.
    10-02-12 02:41 PM
    Last edited by timmy t; 10-02-12 at 04:22 PM.
    ayekon likes this.
    10-02-12 04:01 PM

The Playbook will have BBM without BIS, so it's definitely not needed for that. I think BIS is dead in its current incarnation (the carrier NOC). But that said. I think they can provide a few of the more important services without the BIS NOC.
    I had thought about the PlayBook, and have loaded BB10 and BBM on mine, but I think that loophole will be closed and a subscription required in the future.
    10-03-12 07:18 AM
    I had thought about the PlayBook, and have loaded BB10 and BBM on mine, but I think that loophole will be closed and a subscription required in the future.
    There is no loophole though. The NOC is carrier specific, and the Playbook has no carrier tied to it. The Playbook doesn't use the NOC which means that RIM has separate servers set up for it to access. It's could easily be accomplished on phones and tablets using a proxy.
    10-03-12 08:05 AM
    I think because I have a BB plan then Im considered one of the 80 million. But ofcourse I and many others dont actually use a BB anymore. So its just numbers for hype.
    10-03-12 10:18 AM
    There is no loophole though. The NOC is carrier specific, and the Playbook has no carrier tied to it. The Playbook doesn't use the NOC which means that RIM has separate servers set up for it to access. It's could easily be accomplished on phones and tablets using a proxy.
    It must use the NOC or the BBMs wouldn't go through. During the setup of BBM on the PlayBook it does some sort of registration on the network and I think this included your BBID. In the future, they can limit it to just device PINs that either have a Carrier activation or if a PlayBook and or BBM on another device, PINs/BBID that have subscribed to a non cellular BBM/NOC access.
    10-03-12 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD