I was sitting in a reasurant the other day and had to do a battery pull on my stomr 1 so I fugure I would time it. How depressing it took 8 minutes from battery pull to the device to finish booting.

I then went to look at phones in the verizon store while I wait for the release of the 4G phones and what BB might have. While playing with the current 3G phones I tested the Driod X , Samsung Fascinate and a BB bold the results were very impressive with the droids os I went to ebay with the browsers and the droids were ablle to load pages from ebay motor almost intantly when i did the bb it took a littel while and I walked away before it was even done! Hey BB better step up your game it's not about BBM and email anymore!!!!!
    01-25-11 03:39 PM
    Great post very informative.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CASH likes this.
    01-25-11 03:51 PM
    bootup time for my pearl 3G on OS5 was 1min 40, bootup time for my pearl 3G on OS6 is 1min 20. so things are improving, you really cant compare any 2 year old phone to something new, its such a long time in the tech space.

also while testing browsers on phones, did ya try a BB with webkit?
    01-25-11 03:54 PM
    My storm 1 boots in two and a half minutes and that's on the rare occasion I do reboot. Such as installing an app.

01-25-11 03:57 PM
    With OS6 my device boots in less than 2 minutes. They have pretty much fixed the lengthy boot up time. If web browsing is your main use of your device then yes Droid does have a better browser. Thats not what RIM is geared towards, and it still is about BBM and email. While I tried out the Evo the email was sluggish and not having BBM sucks. But thats just me. It may be better for you to try Droid. They are better entertainment devices.
    01-25-11 03:57 PM
    I was sitting in a reasurant the other day and had to do a battery pull on my stomr 1 so I fugure I would time it. How depressing it took 8 minutes from battery pull to the device to finish booting.

!

Interesting hobby, that.
    01-25-11 03:58 PM
    I had a Palm Pre before...That thing took at least 5 minutes to boot up, no matter what....Not to mention the fact that it twisted like an oreo, and had a keyboard that would only type every third letter
    01-25-11 05:11 PM
    bootup time for my pearl 3G on OS5 was 1min 40, bootup time for my pearl 3G on OS6 is 1min 20. so things are improving, you really cant compare any 2 year old phone to something new, its such a long time in the tech space.

also while testing browsers on phones, did ya try a BB with webkit?
    I can agree with you that I'm talking about a 2 yr old phone but even your two phones only had an increase of 20 seconds not all that much better but a slight improvement!!!
    01-25-11 09:36 PM
    You need to remember the BB is designed like a computer.

You you yell at your computer or complain when it takes 1-4 minutes to boot?
    01-25-11 09:43 PM
    I would.
    01-25-11 10:51 PM
    My Torch takes about a minute to reboot on the occasions I have to reboot it (installing or uninstalling an app). I've got clients with various Bold models. Those all reboot in about 2 minutes. Definitely something RIM improved with the newer phones.

What I don't have to do with my Torch is reboot because it just decided to freeze. Certainly, some people have occasional crashes with their Torches, but it is all so much better than it used to be.
    01-26-11 12:04 AM
    It's posts like these where I can already feel I'm getting smarter..
    CASH likes this.
    01-26-11 01:50 AM
    You need to remember the BB is designed like a computer.

And I guess that other smartphones with much faster boot times aren't designed like computers?
    CousinIT likes this.
    01-26-11 02:35 AM
    my reboot is of abt 3 minutes
    01-26-11 02:42 AM
    If you have encription and memory cleaner enabled your reboot will be a lot longer then usual.

CASH likes this.
    01-26-11 02:47 AM
    OS 6.0 has really addressed this issue for me. With the same apps on my device with OS 5.0, my boot time varied from 6-7 minutes.
    With OS 6.0 installed, my boot time is 2-3 minutes.

01-26-11 08:31 AM
    Yes because if my Macbook Pro takes over 30 seconds then something is seriously wrong.

Anyway I bought my Tour as soon as it became available, which is a year and half ago. It takes forever to reboot. Really sad. And I have to reboot every few days cause the thing starts running slow. Hopefully when these 6.1 devices come out that, and the need to periodically reboot to work properly will be addressed.
    Last edited by lnichols; 01-26-11 at 08:50 AM.
    01-26-11 08:46 AM
    I had 5.0 on my 8900 and boot time for me after a battery pull was always around 2-3 minutes.
    01-26-11 04:41 PM
    8 minutes is typical. its one of the downfalls of BB
    01-26-11 04:49 PM
    With my BB Tour running 5.0.0.975 I average about 3-4 and just about the 5 min mark, Is it agravating YES but I suppose it is just another thing you put up with owning a BB.

Remember... It is always our choice on what kind of phone we own.
    01-26-11 06:06 PM
    Weird, I have a bold 9000 bought in 2008 with os5 and it boots between 45 seconds and 1:10 minutes

01-26-11 07:48 PM
    As previously stated, if you have encryption and memory cleaning on, in addition to a lot of PIM info (email messages, text messages, contacts, calendar entries, memos, tasks), apps, media, and documents, your boot-up time will be significantly longer than a device that has been wiped.
    01-26-11 07:58 PM
    It is definitely interesting that PIM info slows down the boot process, but I can definitely say it does. I noticed when I upgraded my Tour from 4.7 to 5.0, it was booting rather quickly. As soon as I restored my backup info, the lag came back.

It sounds like BB6 does boot up faster, though.
    01-27-11 09:52 AM
    If you have encription and memory cleaner enabled your reboot will be a lot longer then usual.

This 10 fold...

Os6 boot up times right at 1. 20, sometimes little longer, sometimes a little faster...

01-27-11 06:27 PM
    I don't know what the boot up time is for my DX. I've never had to reboot it.

01-27-11 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD