hey guys, just wanted to know if blackberry will make a 7.2 mbps capable smartphone for 2010. i have been looking around and bell has the 9700 that works on the HSPA+ network which is 3.5g and the 9700 only does 3.6 mbps, while the iphone 3gs and samsung omnia 2 are capable of doing 7.2 mbps. i would like to stick with blackberry but i would like to see 7.2.

Thanks
    12-04-09 05:35 PM
    no news till now
    12-05-09 11:19 AM
    7.2 is nice... Idealy...

But really... in what *real world scenario* do these phones ever get to that speed?
    12-05-09 11:50 AM
    7.2 is indeed nice

But ideally, it would suit an iPhone more than a Blackberry. Unless RIM is going to
    have this magnificent, full HTML browser intended to be like a rocket, 7.2 is useless.

I really think 3.6 suits the Blackberry just fine.
    12-05-09 05:46 PM
    Although the phones don't go/use 7.2Mpbs, they do benefit from the phone being capable.

If they create a device that can handle 7.2, even though it doesn't even hit 3.6, it will actually be faster than the device that is only capable of 3.6.

To Prada... think outside of the US... a lot of the devices in others countries go pass the 3.6 mark. Even Rogers has good downloads speeds compared to the U.S.
    12-05-09 07:03 PM
    there are many devices "capable" of 7.2, few rarely hit it, you would need to be the only person logged onto the cell tower, with perfect conditions. its a capability that is rarely ever actually met.

the world of mobile broadband is a case in point, i have a USB dongle that is capable of 4.5 mbps and a colleague has one thats capable of 7.2, for some unknown reason mine runs a little quicker than his. our accounts are set up identically.
    12-05-09 07:09 PM
    7.2 is nice... Idealy...

But really... in what *real world scenario* do these phones ever get to that speed?
    Much higher than your average 3.6 capable however. The better your capacity, the better your speed.

To the OP:

Since RIM really just got into the HSPDA/HPSA business I don't see them doing anything, but being slow to roll out the technology, they're notorious for taking their time. Not the end of the world, but not ideal either.
    12-06-09 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD