Just watched the segment showing how easy it was to hack some cell phones. In one case, they would listen to the phone conversations just knowing the phone number. Apparently a known flaw in interconnections protocol - SS7

The other involved sending some malware. But also discussed the proliferation of apps.

Very interesting, enlightening and discomforting.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ss7+flaw&t=ffab
    BigAl_BB9900 and southlander like this.
    04-18-16 12:11 PM
    Wonder if thats what happened to Merkel et tal and thats why they moved to modified Blackberries for communications.
    04-18-16 12:15 PM
    Wonder if thats what happened to Merkel et tal and thats why they moved to modified Blackberries for communications.
    Personally, I don't understand what happened to Merkel.... these security vulnerabilities aren't new.
    04-18-16 01:13 PM
    Personally, I don't understand what happened to Merkel.... these security vulnerabilities aren't new.
    Well it might have started out with SS7, and by monitoring, other avenues for attack presented itself and by the end the NSA owned the German government.

When it involved perhaps hundreds of people its very difficult to enforce good security practices all the time.
    04-18-16 01:20 PM
    Well it might have started out with SS7, and by monitoring, other avenues for attack presented itself and by the end the NSA owned the German government.

When it involved perhaps hundreds of people its very difficult to enforce good security practices all the time.
    Now, Secusmart is owned by BlackBerry...

Do the 5-Eyes countries now request "lawful" access from BBRY, so they can pwn Merkel again...? ;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-18-16 04:39 PM
    Now, Secusmart is owned by BlackBerry...

Do the 5-Eyes countries now request "lawful" access from BBRY, so they can pwn Merkel again...? ;-P

Good question. I thought Germany was assigned to the UK.
    04-19-16 01:43 AM
    No, they were introduced by NSA "volunteers" in opensoftware prior to the year 2000 and remained undiscovered until late 2014.
    themaddtitan likes this.
    04-19-16 01:59 AM
    Let me think about this ;
    So in a post-911 environment, BlackBerry isn't being pushed by US Carriers who rely on US government agencies for licensing.

An encrypted phone, formerly manufactured by a Canadian Corporation who is known to deny access to the backdoors to foreign government.

I know, let's make a foreign built Android series of phones, governments have the solutions to those. And we could sell Security Software to increase sales. A win-win.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-16 08:01 AM
    Just watched the segment showing how easy it was to hack some cell phones. In one case, they would listen to the phone conversations just knowing the phone number. Apparently a known flaw in interconnections protocol - SS7

The other involved sending some malware. But also discussed the proliferation of apps.

Yep. Very interesting!

When I went to a mobile device communications seminar in the US about three years ago, the speakers - the two main ones were a chap from the FBI and another chap from the US Federal IT Dept (or whatever it is called) - emphasised that standard mobile voice communications could always be hacked irrespective of which make of handset you were using, because of the security flaws within the general cellular infrastructure.

They doubly emphasised that FIPS 140-2 (eg the set of certifications that the BlackBerry ecosystem has) was about general mobile device security & mobile email security and NOT about voice call security, eg if you are working on a commercial mega-deal in a foreign country, you would be wise to not talk about the finer points of this deal on your cellphone (or any phone for that matter). However, if you are using a properly configured BlackBerry handset with BES, then your work emails to and from your phone could be considered secure from general hacking. (They were definitely NOT so positive about emails using iOS or Android!).
    FF22 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-20-16 08:45 AM
    Just get BBM protected voice.
    But who knows if that's vulnerable now to.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 08:57 AM
    Just get BBM protected voice.
    But who knows if that's vulnerable now to.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry tells users.....

18. Does the added encryption offered by BBM Protected apply to BBM Voice and BBM Video calls?
    BBM Protected encryption applies to BBM messages, attachments and files sent between BBM Protected users. It also applies to multi-person BBM chats where all participants are BBM Protected users and BBM Groups that have been established as Protected BBM Groups. It does not apply to BBM Voice and BBM Video calls at this time.
    SecuSUITE by Secusmart (BlackBerry owned) is what you and the people you communicate with would need. But I'm thinking this isn't a solution you can afford unless you are a World leader or the head of some very large company.
    04-20-16 09:26 AM

Shhhh... Mum's the word...

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 10:17 AM
    Carrier pigeons

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    04-20-16 10:27 AM
    Recently heard about a program used by police called "stingray." It allows users to simulate a false tower to monitor cell messages that were sent for transmission. Thus a user could be a false res ponder to a call.
    04-20-16 12:22 PM
    BlackBerry tells users.....

SecuSUITE by Secusmart (BlackBerry owned) is what you and the people you communicate with would need. But I'm thinking this isn't a solution you can afford unless you are a World leader or the head of some very large company.
    Sorry but you can purchase BBM protected voice for $94/year. It's now offered.
    It's in the BlackBerry Enterprise store.

60 Minutes, phone hacking and the SS7 flaw-img_20160420_225548_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    FenVV likes this.
    04-20-16 09:57 PM
    Sorry but you can purchase BBM protected voice for $94/year. It's now offered.
    It's in the BlackBerry Enterprise store.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks I didn't know that they had added that for enterprise users...
    04-21-16 07:09 AM

Just watched this last night. Three things came to mind.

1. The interconnect flaw that was mentioned -- the network that bridges all the carriers world wide -- I am thinking that to link disparate systems like that they simply don't encrypt the traffic between them. Seems to be a similar situation to how the NSA was able to snoop the Google traffic by intercepting it transiting between data centers -- when Google used to move data de-crypted to gain performance. Just a guess.

2. That top guy at the German hacking company who kept going on about how anything can be hacked -- he seemed to be using a BlackBerry Classic as his phone. Pretty cool.

3. The Samsung hack where they took over the camera seemed to be one of those exploit issues with MMS messages that Android has had. Or maybe a new one that is related. She said all they did was send her a message. If all they knew was her phone number then it was likely SMS.
    FF22 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    04-24-16 09:39 AM