I find it surprising that on my BlackBerry over BIS I still have no access to sub-folders in email. I'm compulsive about a neat inbox and filing messages in proper sub-folders. BIS/BlackBerry still offers no access to these folders or stored messages. On my iPhone I thought I'd be sacrificing email handling compared to my BlackBerry but the iPhone actually handles email better! I have full access to all my sub-folders and all the emails stored there. This drives home how badly RIM has slipped and watched as everyone else has caught up or zoomed by.
    02-17-12 10:51 AM
    This is something I find rather annoying as I can do this on my Android also
    02-17-12 11:08 AM
    I wish I could access sub folders on my Blackberry, hope this is something that is fixed in BB10.
    02-17-12 11:15 AM
    olga421,
    I have an iP4 I got from a friend that decided to switch to BB and after comparing the two I have to disagree.
    For starters the usable screen size is not smaller on the BlackBerry Bold or the Torch 9810 but on the iPhone. Although it has a larger screen at the cost of no real keyboard, when you are working e-mails it actually cuts the screen in half and the non-virtual keyboard space is actually smaller on the iPhone.
    Obviously, most people can set-up folders for their individual e-mails and the awesome way to save and retrieve messages by just typing v (if you are not set for universal search but Application shortcuts) is awesome and unmatched.

I do think the iPhone is beautiful and it is easier to use out of the box but even setting up the e-mail is not easier and when you consider that as far as I could tell, the iPhone does not support carrier billing or PayPal, which I think is more secure than dumping your credit card number on a device that just yesterday the WSJ confirmed has a security problem with Safary that Google and others have been exploiting does not seem attractive to me at all. This is beyond the fact that BB's security and encryption is superior (since no one seems to care about that).

Also, the iPhone has begun restricting apps such as audible.com, kobo, and others from accessing their store front. This is not cool. Sure, BB has been slower to release the apps but when they do they are fully functional.
    I think people that are lured by a gimmicky thing such as Siri, which is valid, should consider that BlackBerry has been able to use Vlingo for years.
    The pretty iPhone is nice, although without a case I find it very slippery. So, I don't agree that the iPhone does better e-mail than the BlackBerry. Besides, the notification light does not work as well as the BB and one handed operation is much better on the BB.
    I would say that YOU like it better and that is certainly fair to say but to say that it IS better than the Bold 9930 is not something I can agree with.
    BTW, you are happy with your iPhone and I just noticed that you use a storm. If you were open to BB I would suggest an OS7 device, probably the Bold or Torch 9810 but you seem happy with your device so that's O.K.
    kemj likes this.
    02-17-12 11:22 AM
    I have a 4s that is driving me bonkers with email crashes and freezes. I have Gmail set up via Exchange and it is just not reliable. I've been to the Apple store twice, done 2 restores, etc....nothing has helped. Sometimes it works and others times (becoming more frequent), it doesn't.

Yes the folders are cool, but I couldn't care less about that if I'm NOT getting my email reliably.

Miss my BB for this reason...
    02-17-12 11:29 AM
    The features of the 'toy' devices are as good, or better than on the blackberry. Most of us are still comparing the 'toys' to 2008 when they couldn't do basic phone functions very well that we were used to with our blackberries.
    02-17-12 11:31 AM
    P.S. a friend of mine mentioned that he liked gmail and that he did not have access to sub folders but if you go to the actual e-mail, not the messages inbox, he was able to pull up his folders under /view folders.
    You can also save to the folder by selecting /Apply Labels then your specific folder. If you check the folder, such as personal or whatever, there you will see it. No need to scroll through your inbox to find it in a sea of e-mails.

I don't need to do that because I quickly read my e-mails and act on them or blow them out, with the few exceptions of items I need to follow up on, which I save. But, he is a judge and he needs to follow-up on stuff three months after he received it. It works for me and for him.
    02-17-12 11:35 AM
    All the folders in the world will not make up for the ability to attach files to a reply email or simply attache one or more files from within a composing email.

Personally I don't see the point of folders, a filter search is much much better at finding an older email.
    02-17-12 12:11 PM
    Cool, it only took 6 posts before someone called devices from other platforms toys. New record?

OP- Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses. Enjoy your 4S, it's a great device.
    elvin1983 likes this.
    02-17-12 12:22 PM
    All the folders in the world will not make up for the ability to attach files to a reply email or simply attache one or more files from within a composing email.

Personally I don't see the point of folders, a filter search is much much better at finding an older email.
    I don't have folders on my gmail and all my mail is in my inbox. I have my device set to never delete e-mails. I want to search an e-mail from a yr back, just press "S" on the BB, type in the search parameter and there's your mail. The day iPhone can do that, I will believe in its capability. And alos the ability to select multiple e-mails and delete them on one click or mark as read.
    02-17-12 12:26 PM
    I am ok with the subfolders issue as i only use subfolders to archive and keep myself organized after it goes to the inbox, but I have an issue with the speed of emails on BIS vs. whatever iphone uses. I solved it having emails forwarded to the blackberry email so I can get it real time but I just never liked the fact it took a while. This was for not only gmail and yahoo, but also my own business email I use at godaddy. Sorry to digress OT a little.
    02-17-12 04:35 PM
    olga421,
    I have an iP4 I got from a friend that decided to switch to BB and after comparing the two I have to disagree.
    For starters the usable screen size is not smaller on the BlackBerry Bold or the Torch 9810 but on the iPhone. Although it has a larger screen at the cost of no real keyboard, when you are working e-mails it actually cuts the screen in half and the non-virtual keyboard space is actually smaller on the iPhone.
    Obviously, most people can set-up folders for their individual e-mails and the awesome way to save and retrieve messages by just typing v (if you are not set for universal search but Application shortcuts) is awesome and unmatched.

I do think the iPhone is beautiful and it is easier to use out of the box but even setting up the e-mail is not easier and when you consider that as far as I could tell, the iPhone does not support carrier billing or PayPal, which I think is more secure than dumping your credit card number on a device that just yesterday the WSJ confirmed has a security problem with Safary that Google and others have been exploiting does not seem attractive to me at all. This is beyond the fact that BB's security and encryption is superior (since no one seems to care about that).

Also, the iPhone has begun restricting apps such as audible.com, kobo, and others from accessing their store front. This is not cool. Sure, BB has been slower to release the apps but when they do they are fully functional.
    I think people that are lured by a gimmicky thing such as Siri, which is valid, should consider that BlackBerry has been able to use Vlingo for years.
    The pretty iPhone is nice, although without a case I find it very slippery. So, I don't agree that the iPhone does better e-mail than the BlackBerry. Besides, the notification light does not work as well as the BB and one handed operation is much better on the BB.
    I would say that YOU like it better and that is certainly fair to say but to say that it IS better than the Bold 9930 is not something I can agree with.
    BTW, you are happy with your iPhone and I just noticed that you use a storm. If you were open to BB I would suggest an OS7 device, probably the Bold or Torch 9810 but you seem happy with your device so that's O.K.

The OP is 'all-over-the-place', in another thread the OP had a 9810 and wanted to upgrade to a Nexus ...and now the OP 'owns a Storm' and has an iPhone
    02-17-12 07:03 PM
    I personally never need sub-folders

I simply save the message. And universal search is awesome...easy and fast
    02-17-12 07:08 PM
    cause it has sub folders it handles emails better lol
    funny stuff there man. Too bad I never got my emails on my iPhone.
    BB is still the most reliable email service.
    02-17-12 08:35 PM
    I did like the ability to have folders and labels on my gmail on my Android device.

But I've seen learned to use the Advanced Search and Saved Search features on the BlackBerry and I'm digging that!

I like having my inbox clear and then all my emails are saved in my gmail in the PC. So I can access them with the search on BlackBerry.

However, I would like to see folders on BlackBerry.
    02-17-12 08:44 PM
    On February 8th, Olga421 sent the following message

"I'm eligable for an upgrade,I currently own a torch 9810,I'm wondering if I should pickup the samsung nexus,but I would like to know if I would be able to receive my work email??"

Interesting, given your suggestion
    02-17-12 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD