Hi..
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot of times before, but I still don't know the answer..
    My Dad and I use Blackberry 9700 phones with OS 6.
    We both have the same carrier with the same plan.
    We both are connected to the same wifi connection at home.
    Yet, somehow he gets the 4 dots Blackberry Symbol next to wifi icon indicating he can use bbm and mail over wifi..
    But I don't get the symbol, thus can't use it..
    Everything else is the same except this..
    I would really like to know how to use wifi for bbm and mail like he does..
    Thanks if some one can really help me..
    06-05-12 10:21 PM
    once your wifi is turned on, the phone will automatically switch over to wifi and the little BB symbol should pop next to the wifi icon. youre saying yours doesnt do it? try turning off your network connection but leave wifi on. see what happens.
    06-06-12 04:30 AM
    Nope..
    Doesn't work..
    Tried it already..
    Can use only whatsapp and browser..
    Funny thing is, I can use the app world over wifi with network switched off, but not bbm and mail..
    Any more suggestions?
    06-06-12 10:09 PM
    You have no BIS service. Should not have anything to do with WiFi. You need BIS to BBM or do native email on a BlackBerry.

This was working for you and then stopped for no apparent reason? Or has it never worked for you on that device?

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-06-12 10:21 PM
    No I have BIS...
    I can use bbm and mail when I'm getting EDGE..
    But in some places at my home my EDGE gets converted to GSM...
    At that time I can't use bbm and mail..
    But my dad can because of wifi, even though he gets GSM at the same places...
    06-06-12 10:52 PM
    And yes, I never ever got the 4 Dots symbol before..
    06-06-12 10:53 PM
    No I have BIS...
    I can use bbm and mail when I'm getting EDGE..
    But in some places at my home my EDGE gets converted to GSM...
    At that time I can't use bbm and mail..
    But my dad can because of wifi, even though he gets GSM at the same places...
    Just a guess maybe resend your service books. Go under options. Host routing table. BB menu and select Register Now. If you are on OS 6 I am not certain where this is. But there are threads on here about service books.
    06-06-12 10:56 PM
    And yes, I never ever got the 4 Dots symbol before..
    The 4 dots means you are connected to RIM's NOC. No dots and you are not connected as I understand it. This is regardless of the method to connect.
    06-06-12 10:58 PM
    Here's a thread that maybe sheds some light on the "dots".

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-dots-478494/

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-06-12 11:07 PM
    The 4 dots means you are connected to RIM's NOC. No dots and you are not connected as I understand it. This is regardless of the method to connect.
    See, I'll tell you what happens exactly..
    When I'm in the living room, I get EDGE and I'm connected to wifi..
    I can use bbm and mail even if wifi is off..
    When I enter my room, EDGE is now GSM and wifi still connected, I can't use bbm and mail..
    So I never get the 4 dots even when in EDGE+Wifi or GSM+Wifi
    And what's NOC?
    I tried resending the service books..
    Didn't help..
    06-06-12 11:12 PM
    NOC is network operations center. Where your BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) comes from.

Ok. I was reading that other thread because you've piqued my interest. The dots are your BIS service connection, as I have said. But they move according to how you connect. (I have tested this on my Bold). If you are connected to BIS through your carrier's network the dots are by the "3G" symbol or whatever. If you are connected via WiFi the dots will jump next to your WiFi icon. The preference is for your device to always connect to the NOC via WiFi. So if you turn off WiFi you'll see the dots move next to your 3G icon. Turn it back on and after a short period of time it will move to using WiFi.
    06-06-12 11:19 PM
    Oh okay...
    Lol..
    I don't get 4 dots at all...
    So I'm not connected to NOC?
    Yet I can use bbm and mail?
    06-06-12 11:22 PM
    So you are saying you can use BBM and email when using Edge and WiFi but not when your device shows GSM and WiFi?

What carrier?
    06-06-12 11:23 PM
    Oh okay...
    Lol..
    I don't get 4 dots at all...
    So I'm not connected to NOC?
    Yet I can use bbm and mail?
    Yes. You must have a connection to BIS/ the NOC to use BBM. No question. Perhaps for some reason your phone is just not showing a connection at times when you actually do have one. I am not really sure.
    06-06-12 11:26 PM
    So you are saying you can use BBM and email when using Edge and WiFi but not when your device shows GSM and WiFi?

What carrier?

Yup..
    I can use bbm and mail with EDGE+Wifi and only EDGE..
    Bt not with GSM+Wifi or only GSM..
    And I'm in India..
    My carrier is Airtel, and I'm sure I'm connected to BIS cuz airtel charge me Rs.599/-
    Per month..
    06-06-12 11:31 PM
    Resend Service Books

Sent from my Tool not the 'Toy'
    06-06-12 11:32 PM
    Yup..
    I can use bbm and mail with EDGE+Wifi and only EDGE..
    Bt not with GSM+Wifi or only GSM..
    And I'm in India..
    My carrier is Airtel, and I'm sure I'm connected to BIS cuz airtel charge me Rs.599/-
    Per month..
    I was reading elsewhere that your carrier sets the service books so as to determine all this. It can be set to allow BIS through WiFi, or not and also to allow it through say Edge but not 3G no matter if there is WiFi. As a guess I would say your carrier has messed something up on your service books only, and not your Dad's. As a last guess I would say to contact them and explain that the devices are the same yet behave differently.
    06-06-12 11:38 PM
    Thanks..
    And yes, I did try calling them...
    The people there don't even know that there exists something like the 4 dots symbol, and that you can use bbm and mail thru wifi..
    They just kept repeating..
    "Sorry, but you can't use bbm over wifi"
    And when I told them my dad uses, they said..
    "You must be reading it wrong"
    :/
    06-07-12 12:07 AM
    Someone more knowledgeable than me can perhaps chime in. Perhaps there's some way to fix it without the carrier needing to be involved.
    06-07-12 12:10 AM
    Yeah, but you have been a great help too, thanks..
    06-07-12 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD