I don't know why, but that map always makes me laugh. The commercials are hilarious. I wonder how contextual that is though - most of the 'Verizon Red' appears to be in places where there has to be a population of, what, 10 people? lol Still, passing through there, it must be nice to still get 3G service (if it's accurate)

*Verizon Map goes up*
    "Hey, your map is blocking the game."
    "Oh, sorry... just checking the other scores."

*leaves*

*AT&T Map goes up*
    "Is my map blocking the game?"
    "Nah, you're good."

Classic.
    I love that commercial. lol.
    11-29-09 06:44 PM
    Ever read the fine print? It's not false advertisement. They state it clearly on all their ads.

They also state that before you pick a phone, to pick a service that WILL offer the services you are looking for. Especially for you, living in Iowa...I honestly don't know what to tell you other than to look for another provider who will offer you the real deal for your 3G speeds that you are looking for. Maybe you are still under your 30 purchase agreement, you can still return your phone at no extra charge and go somewhere else.
    Quite the point my friend; I did pick the service that advertised the closest match to my needs. The service provided though does not measure up - in any fashion - to the claimed performance.

It's not a matter of fine print - they openly claim that the average speeds are 600Kbps to 1.4Mbps (depending on various conditions) My speeds don't even approach the advertised speeds. What's more, I only posted this to get some real performance comparisons with which to accurately judge the value of my service.

Frankly, I'm not sure there is anything better in my area. That's what I'm here to find out.
    11-29-09 06:55 PM
    I notice a couple of different speed test programs being used. I don't know which one is better, but to compare my Verizon results with the T-Mobile numbers, we'd have to be using the same program. If I can find the other program being used, I'd be happy to try it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's in the banner: Mobile Speed Test.com You run it from your browser. I run the WiFi and 3G test. Don't usually bother with Edge, because I either use WiFi or constantly get 3G in my area - I'd have to manually turn it to 2G only to get regular Edge.

The other one is called Speedtest - you actually download that to your device.
    11-29-09 07:00 PM
    Quite the point my friend; I did pick the service that advertised the closest match to my needs. The service provided though does not measure up - in any fashion - to the claimed performance.

It's not a matter of fine print - they openly claim that the average speeds are 600Kbps to 1.4Mbps (depending on various conditions) My speeds don't even approach the advertised speeds. What's more, I only posted this to get some real performance comparisons with which to accurately judge the value of my service.

Frankly, I'm not sure there is anything better in my area. That's what I'm here to find out.
    I think they usually advertise those 1mb+ speeds mainly for their Mi-Fi (Data Cards) plans that can get those speeds. Cell phones can barely surpass 800kbps respectively on 3G across the board unless the BlackBerry is on wifi where the speeds cap at 2.3mb respectively. Still, the BB browser doesn't browse at those speeds anyway.
    Last edited by fabuloso; 11-29-09 at 07:25 PM.
    11-29-09 07:23 PM
    i don't know but the maps dont look like that on each others websites.

here's at&t's data coverage map from their website.

and

here's verizon's 3G map from their site

i think the fluffed theirs and shafted at&t's

i am not biased as i am on sprint. if i posted their 3g map it would be embarrassing compared to verizons, lol. i have cooverag for where i live and where i travel so that's all i care about.
    11-29-09 07:59 PM
    Some places I use my VzW USB Modem in my laptop i get 300Kb/s and other places I get 2200Kb/s. Sometimes it pushes past 3Mb/s.

The amount of bars has nothing to do with the speed in my experience. I can have 3 EVDO bars and get 300Kb/s.

I have a Storm too but rarely do Data Tests on it... FYI.
    11-29-09 08:06 PM
    Here are a few of my results. They seem to vary a lot and upload is absolute **** but I'm generally happy with the speed.

VZW Tour
    11-29-09 08:21 PM
    i don't know but the maps dont look like that on each others websites.

here's at&t's data coverage map from their website.

data coverage or 3G data coverage?
    11-29-09 08:23 PM
    My EDGE speeds is download 88.15 Kbits/s - upload 34.39 Kbits/s

It's quite slow, what can I do, should I call my carrier and complain?
    Last edited by nubgen; 11-29-09 at 10:10 PM.
    11-29-09 10:05 PM

<BR>
    Nov 29 22:54:40

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 700.33Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 700.33Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 16.17Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 19.7Kbits/s

Visit Xtreme Labs website at:
    http://www.xtremelabs.com/apps
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

<BR>

Nov 29 22:57:10

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 1095.57Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 1710.97Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 2.89Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 88.65Kbits/s
    Visit Xtreme Labs website at:
    http://www.xtremelabs.com/apps
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
    11-29-09 10:58 PM
    Did this test on opera mini.
    100mb test gave 1928Kbps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 10:21 AM
    I emailed VZW support and recieved a call today. They want me to call their customer service from a land line and troubleshoot my phone netwrk. Don't have the time today but will try to do it tomorrow and post the results.

I'm guessing it will be the typical support q&a with a couple of measures thrown in (let's not forget to reboot

We'll see...
    11-30-09 01:39 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD