Ok so BGR has once again posted some bloated up version (imo) of the 9000 series BB this time the site has the 9000 Series as NOT having 3G services available, my question is how many of you all actually believe that 3G is something that is HIGHLY NEEDED on our beloved devices, I mean seriously, with WiFi going pretty much standard on all the devices and the usage of EDGE, how many of you all feel as though 3G is truly needed? I can understand if you do a TON of web browsing on your BB, but 3G email...c'mon.
    12-20-07 04:04 PM
    Well as I'm used to 3G access on my other phones and even 3.5G (HSDPA) over the last few months I have to say I would LOVE to have a 3G BB! Having broadband speed on the go is brilliant! I have always done a lot of browsing on my phones, including downloading MP3s etc but since I started using my BB I just find it too slow and don't do it as much and must say I miss it.

Having said all the above I'm not sure my answer will be typical of the responses from this site as I think we're a bit spoiled over in the UK as far as our mobile networks are concerned.
    12-20-07 04:19 PM
    I really couldn't care less about the extra speed of 3G myself, but for people who use their mobile phone as a tethered modem I would think that the extra speed of 3G would be something they would really want.

The only feature of 3G that I would really like is it's ability to transmit/recieve data while you're on a phone call. Being able to pull up google maps, view a website, use BB messanger, or IM while I'm on a call would be really nice.

With Edge I don't think you can even recieve an email while you're on a phone call.
    12-20-07 07:42 PM
    I'm used to HSDPA with my Nokia phone. Much faster data transfer- important for websites, but not for fetching email.
    12-20-07 07:47 PM
    whats the difference between 3G and EV-DO cause my pearl has "Qualcom 3G CDMA" on the back but sprint says it has EV-DO so whats the difference
    12-20-07 07:52 PM
    I had the Moto V3 XX that had 3G and thought the phone was highly overrated as opposed to my original razr. Then at 45, I'm never in a hurry to rush at anything....except maybe after too much fiber. Also, I had to wait sometimes with the 3G for the internet and downloads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-07 07:54 PM
    3G for simultaneous data and voice FTW! WiFi would be nice, but I am frequently NOT near a hotspot. Honestly, I think I'd rather have 3G wherever I go.
    12-21-07 12:50 AM
    While obviously not essential for email, I would love 3G as I do a bit of surfing from my phone. It would make it possible to download or stream music to you phone. Thanks!

12-21-07 04:24 AM
    I think in this day and age 3G network is essential for any new smartphone. With data plans getting cheaper and cheaper for consumers as well as carriers to support, the web going more and more mobile, and more and more people tethering their phones to other devices, it only makes sense to have access to some sort of cellular broadband.

3G just means 3rd generation. EV-DO is technically 3G for CDMA2000 (the standard that Verizon and Sprint and several other companies run off of). UMTS is what many GSM providers are moving up to (a step up from EGPRS aka EDGE on AT&T).
    12-21-07 07:18 AM
    I'd be happy with a new BB that has more processor speed and the ability to load and use apps from the sd card

12-21-07 07:27 AM
    I would love 3G but is not a make or break deal for me. I am still loving my wifi so until that become obsolete I will be happy with that!!
    12-21-07 07:35 AM
    I think in this day and age 3G network is essential for any new smartphone. With data plans getting cheaper and cheaper for consumers as well as carriers to support, the web going more and more mobile, and more and more people tethering their phones to other devices, it only makes sense to have access to some sort of cellular broadband.

3G just means 3rd generation. EV-DO is technically 3G for CDMA2000 (the standard that Verizon and Sprint and several other companies run off of). UMTS is what many GSM providers are moving up to (a step up from EGPRS aka EDGE on AT&T).
    thanks archer, thats kinda what i thought but... so my pearl has 3g, thats rad, now if only i lived in an area where wwe got 3g
    12-21-07 07:55 AM
    you wont get per say 3G you, will get EV-DO. there is a diferance EV-DO is faster than EDGE but the pearl is not a 3G divice. so dont go looking for 3G just look for EV-DO
    12-21-07 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD