Just when I thought I knew everything about my Berry, I discovered I didn't!!!

1) I have a 1 next to a little Earth icon which seems to suggest I have one message from Earth. What the heck does that mean?

When editing a profile, there is the section at the bottom with two checkboxes:

2) What does checking "stealth" do?

3) What does checking "important calls" do?

What is an "important call", and "stealth"?
    06-10-08 12:03 AM
    Ok, 1 down...

The Globe icon is a WAP Push alert. The alert message is in your message box.
    06-10-08 12:59 AM
    Sounds like you have two exceptions, one called Important Calls and one called Stealth? My blackberry came with Important Calls already created but not stealth.

What screen exactly are you seeing these two items?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-08 01:10 AM
    Sounds like you have two exceptions, one called Important Calls and one called Stealth? My blackberry came with Important Calls already created but not stealth.

What screen exactly are you seeing these two items?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    he said directly in his post where this was happening... when you create a custom profile or edit a profile (the options at the bottom)

with TMobile, mine came with important calls and myFave. I think they are contact groups pre-loaded on your phone and you can add different people to the groups. Not totally sure though
    06-10-08 07:36 AM
    Ok, figured it out.

Basically, those things are example "Exceptions" that have no names added to them, so they do nothing.

To enable them, you click MENU, then EDIT, then in the from field, click MENU again, to get the context menu and add a contact.

You can also create your own exceptions.

So, for example, I created an exception labeled "Call from parents", and then added my mom and dad to it. I'll leave you to guess whether they were White or Black listed. =)

This is very cool really because it means we really had Black & White list capability all along, although you'd have to setup some new profiles, and then create the exceptions, etc.
    06-10-08 08:29 AM
    he said directly in his post where this was happening... when you create a custom profile or edit a profile (the options at the bottom)
    Not to split hairs with you, because our OP already has his answer, but one does NOT see the exceptions (to which he was referring) when you edit or create a profile like he said. One sees these exceptions after clicking "Advanced". After choosing a profile and clicking "edit" or choosing "new" one does not see the execeptions, but rather a list of notificiation categories.

I was basically wondering if he was seeing something in those screens that I had never seen before... Therefore, you are right - he did say DIRECTLY IN HIS POST, but I wanted him to clarify because if I went by what he said it was wrong!!!

Go Bucks!
    06-10-08 08:58 AM
    Not to split hairs with you, because our OP already has his answer, but one does NOT see the exceptions (to which he was referring) when you edit or create a profile like he said. One sees these exceptions after clicking "Advanced". After choosing a profile and clicking "edit" or choosing "new" one does not see the execeptions, but rather a list of notificiation categories.

I was basically wondering if he was seeing something in those screens that I had never seen before... Therefore, you are right - he did say DIRECTLY IN HIS POST, but I wanted him to clarify because if I went by what he said it was wrong!!!
    No, actually it is dead right.... on an 8820. You were assuming I was talking about your Pearl. =)

On an 8820, you MUST select "Advanced" to edit or create a profile. In other words, it is exactly as I stated in my original post.
    06-10-08 09:05 AM
    No, actually it is dead right.... on an 8820. You were assuming I was talking about your Pearl. =)

On an 8820, you MUST select "Advanced" to edit or create a profile. In other words, it is exactly as I stated in my original post.
    Yes you must click Advanced on my Pearl as well. This is the ADVANCED SCREEN (This is where you see the exceptions, right? This is why I asked for clarification)

THEN YOU HAVE TO SELECT EDIT OR NEW... therefore, the advanced screen is NOT the edit screen or the new screen!

Oh, well it really doesn't matter.
    06-10-08 09:08 AM
    Yes you must click Advanced on my Pearl as well. This is the ADVANCED SCREEN (This is where you see the exceptions, right? This is why I asked for clarification)
    Yeap.

THEN YOU HAVE TO SELECT EDIT OR NEW... therefore, the advanced screen is NOT the edit screen or the new screen!
    Nope.

You keep wanting to believe yourself instead of me. =) Maybe pictures will speak to you.

There ya go.... if you don't get it by now that a Pearl is different, then I give up.
    06-10-08 10:14 AM
    how do you add contacts to the exception?
    06-10-08 10:23 AM
    play nice kids...she's trying to help :P
    06-10-08 10:31 AM
    how do you add contacts to the exception?
    Again, as stated in my post above, you push MENU, and the "edit" the exception.
    06-10-08 10:33 AM
    We already have a solution, he or she was just not understanding how an 8820 is different.
    06-10-08 10:34 AM
    No, your pictures show what I am saying...

You just aren't understanding what I am saying. Your 8820 and my Pearl have the EXACT same steps... I was just trying to help and didn't want to argue about this.

I don't know how to post screen shots from my BB, so will you do something for me please? Post a third picture of this: highlight one of your profiles push the menu button and select EDIT! This would be the edit screen, where your original post said that you had the checkbox items.

In your original post you said, "When editing a profile, there is the section at the bottom with two checkboxes: You might have been on your way to editing but you weren't editing anything YET!! Hence my request for clarification. In the pictures that you just posted the first picture is the PROFILES and the second picture is the ADVANCED page.

I'm done discussing this. I know what I am trying to say, I know what you are trying to say. It's not the end of the world. I was trying to help. It doesn't matter, you have your answer, either way. It's just a moot point.
    06-10-08 11:04 AM
    No, your pictures show what I am saying...

You just aren't understanding what I am saying. Your 8820 and my Pearl have the EXACT same steps... I was just trying to help and didn't want to argue about this.

I don't know how to post screen shots from my BB, so will you do something for me please? Post a third picture of this: highlight one of your profiles push the menu button and select EDIT! This would be the edit screen, where your original post said that you had the checkbox items.
    Your going to have to kick yourself. On the 8820, you cannot highlight a profile, click MENU, and select "Edit". If you hover over a profile, and then hit MENU, ON THE 8820, you get dumped back to as if you pushed ESC.

In your original post you said, "When editing a profile, there is the section at the bottom with two checkboxes: You might have been on your way to editing but you weren't editing anything YET!! Hence my request for clarification. In the pictures that you just posted the first picture is the PROFILES and the second picture is the ADVANCED page.
    No worries, you just didn't understand (even though I told you like 3 times!) that an 8820 works different from your Pearl. I do appreciate that you were trying to help, but this just goes to show best not to make assumptions. Actually, I'm glad to know there is a difference for an article I might write.

Seriously, no hard feelings. I love being pendantic, especially if I'm right, haha. Reminds me of a Major I used to work for who was never wrong. Was really irritating, but funny. =)
    06-10-08 11:37 AM

1) I have a 1 next to a little Earth icon which seems to suggest I have one message from Earth.
    Hehe... This made me giggle...
    06-10-08 11:43 AM
    Your going to have to kick yourself. On the 8820, you cannot highlight a profile, click MENU, and select "Edit".
    So HOW do you EDIT the profile? How do you get from you picture #2 to the edit screen?
    06-10-08 11:57 AM
    So HOW do you EDIT the profile? How do you get from you picture #2 to the edit screen?
    06-10-08 12:06 PM
    Patrick, How did you get that menu to pop up?
    06-10-08 12:09 PM
    I see why we disagree now... what I called "editing" the profiles, you are calling the "advanced" page.

Basically, you are correct in that I'm not really yet editing "a profile", but I think of it as editing "all profiles" because I enable/disable exceptions, and create new profiles there.

Is it the same on your Pearl?

This was a great discussion though because it points out the need for clarity when we might have different cognitive models.

So, now we should like name the screens.

Since the title of that one is Profiles, I'd call it the "Profiles editing" screen (as I was doing), but then that is definately confusing as when you really edit the specific profile, it's just the name of the profile you are editing.

This is why I just used the generic "edit" statement. But, if you have a better idea on names, let's hear it.
    06-10-08 12:20 PM
    Here are the steps to edit a profile on a Pearl:

From the home screen click profiles and then scroll to Advanced...:

Select Advanced...:

(THIS is the Advanced Screen)

Scroll to the profile you wish to edit and push the menu button (the button with the blackberry logo on it) then scroll to and select edit (Patrick, you have indicated this step is different on the 8820, what do you push to get this screen to appear?):

Scroll to and select the notification you wish to edit:

(This is the Edit Screen)

Patrick, based on your pictures, we have the same process. No visual difference between what you have posted and what I have posted, is there?
    06-10-08 12:22 PM
    Nope, same process, just different names we were using.

Your pictures gave me a funny idea. Should have an exception named "Murphy", haha.
    06-10-08 12:24 PM
    I see why we disagree now... what I called "editing" the profiles, you are calling the "advanced" page.
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!

I don't call it editing because you can actually do more than edit from that screen!! You aren't to the editing screen until you are, well, editing!!!!!!! (The final screen shot in my pictures above).

Oh, thank goodness... we really do have the exact same process, right?!?!

My suggestion for screen names, FWIW:

• Profiles
    • Advanced (I call it this, because that is what it is called on my BB, when I click Advanced it takes me to this screen.)
    • Edit (I call it this, because that is what it is called on my BB, when click Edit it takes me to this screen.)
    06-10-08 12:30 PM
    Nope, same process, just different names we were using.

Your pictures gave me a funny idea. Should have an exception named "Murphy", haha.
    Actually Murphy is my maiden name, Sharon Murphy is my mom and the other "Murphy" exception (off screen) is my dad... Apparently I AM Murphy's Law!!!
    06-10-08 12:31 PM
    I'd call them this:

Profile Activation
    Profile & Exception Editing
    Profile Alert Selection
    Profile Alert Editing

Because as you point out, you are not yet really editing it till you are on the 4th screen, haha. You are just selecting which alert to edit!

OMG this is so funny. Anyway, at least we know how it all works now. This was something that was bugging me till I read the device manual today.

Now I think maybe I'll work on an article on "Getting the most from Categories, Groups, Profiles & Exceptions".

Maybe you'd like to be an editor?

On a final note, I wonder if I get a message from the ISS space station if I'll get a little space station icon with a 1 next to it?

Anyone have the shuttle astronauts PINs? We could try it and see.
    06-10-08 12:42 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD