Based on internal numbers, 59% of BlackBerry users are female.

My question is, where are all the females on CB lol?

Serious: does this surprise you? Should BlackBerry stay committed to this demo? Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 11:02 AM
    Which internal numbers are you referencing because the only thing I can find that says the same is a 2 year old article written by Simon Sage of Mobile Nations.

As to where BlackBerry should focus, they should focus on getting their devices in as many hands as possible, irrespective of the gender of the user. The last thing it wants to do is alienate almost half of it's user base by making itself even more of a niche device (gender-centric)
    08-07-13 11:18 AM
    There is a couple, I'm the worst with names, I can only remember Erin? Oh yeah and the girl with the Butterfly Avi!

Swiped On My Zed10
    08-07-13 11:21 AM
    Chicks dig it, but I like it too!
    08-07-13 11:22 AM

Serious: does this surprise you? Should BlackBerry stay committed to this demo? Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's not drastically different from the distribution of genders among the world's population. If it had been 70%-80% I would have thought that it was interesting, but would not have been surprised.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-07-13 11:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's pretty much my daily observation in the city of Toronto. However, I don't think Crackberry nation represent the demographic either. As per gender role, women are still less of a geek than guys when it comes to technology. They do exist just not as many as represented as the guys. To target these women the focus has to be with stores that women shop. Regular communication is the key. In conjunction with clothing stores or health and beauty stores offering promotion via emails to peek their interest.
    08-07-13 11:44 AM
    I feel like a part of the visible minority right now holding my BlackBerry, more so with this thread.
    08-07-13 11:49 AM
    Which internal numbers are you referencing because the only thing I can find that says the same is a 2 year old article written by Simon Sage of Mobile Nations.

As to where BlackBerry should focus, they should focus on getting their devices in as many hands as possible, irrespective of the gender of the user. The last thing it wants to do is alienate almost half of it's user base by making itself even more of a niche device (gender-centric)
    Unfortunately I can't post the info I have because I'd rather not get in trouble lol. So you'd have to take my word for it.

The reason I bring it up is the Q5 is starting to launch in developed markets, but with no pink option which I think doesn't make sense given the demos.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 12:34 PM
    There are plenty of women here. Most of the time they're assumed to be men if they don't have a gender specific username or a selfie as their avatar (and even when I do have a selfie up I'm still mistaken for a dude?). Or if they happen to have "bob" in their username.
    08-07-13 12:38 PM
    Unfortunately I can't post the info I have because I'd rather not get in trouble lol. So you'd have to take my word for it.

The reason I bring it up is the Q5 is starting to launch in developed markets, but with no pink option which I think doesn't make sense given the demos.
    Point 1 - fair enough
    Point 2 - makes no sense. You are saying that 59% of BlackBerry (which has no pink devices) users are female and at the same time saying it makes no sense to have not that color. I think they have done just fine.
    louzer likes this.
    08-07-13 12:39 PM
    There are plenty of women here. Most of the time they're assumed to be men if they don't have a gender specific username or a selfie as their avatar (and even when I do have a selfie up I'm still mistaken for a dude?). Or if they happen to have "bob" in their username.
    Then there is the reverse, say, being male and having "grace" in your username.
    pantlesspenguin and louzer like this.
    08-07-13 12:41 PM
    Need a poll to find out the demographics of CB? And maybe put this debate to rest?
    08-07-13 12:43 PM
    There is a couple, I'm the worst with names, I can only remember Erin? Oh yeah and the girl with the Butterfly Avi!

Swiped On My Zed10
    Wait, I've been outted? Dang lol - most people think I'm a guy for whatever reason. - Wait just realized you said butterfly and I changed it to a hummingbird, frick outted myself lol

Posted via CB10
    I don't want no stinking pink phone. They need to bring the white to AT&T.
    08-07-13 12:44 PM
    Need a poll to find out the demographics of CB? And maybe put this debate to rest?
    Wouldn't work. There are far too many registered users that are not active for a poll of this site to be useful. You would essentially be measuring active members only.
    pantlesspenguin and louzer like this.
    08-07-13 12:47 PM
    Could provide a quick base line. True, it is unreliable but could provide some insight into it.
    08-07-13 12:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hmmmm, you give a vague stat to discuss.

Females love phones. BlackBerry should make phones that appeal to women, and better marketing to draw more attention from prospective women consumers.

I want them to immediately end their Alicia Keys marketing deal, because I am not a fan of hers, and I am in the all-important female phone-using demographic!!!
    pantlesspenguin and finallybb like this.
    08-07-13 12:51 PM
    Not really surprising. Put your crash helmet on, buckle your seat belt and take a gander at the social forums.
    08-07-13 12:52 PM
    Could provide a quick base line. True, it is unreliable but could provide some insight into it.
    A baseline that has as it's basis unreliable information is neither useful or insightful.
    08-07-13 01:12 PM

Probably not caring about a tech site like us nerds. :-)

Seriously though, this represents one of the problems I have with assuming the CrackBerry forum = the typical BlackBerry user. The data will automatically be skewed.
    08-07-13 01:14 PM
    Link to the fact sheet please. otherwise 67% of all statistics are made up by the ones posting them.
    08-07-13 01:16 PM
    08-07-13 01:31 PM
    A large majority of them are no doubt biz/gov sectors. Besides, a lot of them don't do the forum thing like us guys. We are techno geeks!

Go BB!
    08-07-13 01:38 PM
    Wait, I've been outted? Dang lol - most people think I'm a guy for whatever reason. - Wait just realized you said butterfly and I changed it to a hummingbird, frick outted myself lol

I don't want no stinking pink phone. They need to bring the white to AT&T.
    LOL! Blue eyes is the one I was trying to mention, she has confirmed her female status!

Swiped On My Zed10
    08-07-13 02:24 PM
    Well BB needs to use this to their advantage. Start setting up kiosks in women's stores and show how BB is easy on the nails etc....
    08-07-13 02:49 PM
    Ooh... ooh... you're just to the right of Ringo in your Avatar? Hah, I knew it!
    08-07-13 02:51 PM
51 123