I just wanted to know if I do switch from Sprint (unlimited data/messaging/calls to any wireless carrier) to AT&T and get the Bold 9700 (2GB data), will that be enough for heavy usage?

I've only had the 9650 (Sprint) for about one month and used 1,000,000 KB (1GB) and as I newbie, I fear when I become a BB addict, I will go way over the 2GB max AT&T offers.

Is there anyway to get the 9700, be a BB addict/heavy user and still stay below the 2GB max?

Thanks!
    07-12-10 07:49 PM
    I think you would have to be streaming content all the time to go over 2gb. If you have wifi at home this will help. 2gb is a he'll of a lot on a BB bearing in mind that us BB users use less data than on other platforms due to data being condensed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-12-10 07:54 PM
    Sure, if you're not too lazy to use the Wi-Fi...
    07-12-10 07:55 PM
    I think you would have to be streaming content all the time to go over 2gb. If you have wifi at home this will help. 2gb is a he'll of a lot on a BB bearing in mind that us BB users use less data than on other platforms due to data being condensed.

How would I know I have WiFi?
    07-12-10 08:02 PM
    9700 has wifi as does the 9650
    07-12-10 08:04 PM
    9700 has wifi as does the 9650
    Do you think I will go over the 2GB if I use alot of BBM, internet and music? I don't really know about WiFi, but if I turn it on, will it tell me that the WiFi is active?
    07-12-10 08:09 PM
    Yeah when wi-fi is on, there's a little wi-fi icon in the right corner and it turns white so you know you're connected.

2GB should be enough. Just to be sage, save the streaming for when you're on wifi.

07-12-10 08:21 PM
    depends... if you visit heavy data usage websites such as youtube you might hit your limit.
    07-12-10 08:23 PM
    Do you think I will go over the 2GB if I use alot of BBM, internet and music? I don't really know about WiFi, but if I turn it on, will it tell me that the WiFi is active?
    Yeah, the Wi-Fi icon should be white instead of grayed out. You can also click the "Manage Connections" icon to double check. It should display the name of the network your hooked up to next to the Wi-Fi check box.
    07-12-10 08:24 PM
    Also be careful about streaming music apps like Flycast, Slacker, etc. Youtube is quite a data hog too. Another to add to the list is GPS apps like BB Maps, Google maps, Trapster and such.
    07-12-10 08:27 PM
    Heck I never go over 2GB and I have the Verizon $29.99 plan.
    07-12-10 08:33 PM
    You need to look at what you use your BB for

youtube? = 50-100MB / week
    streaming music = 50MB / hour
    100 text emails per day = .5MB/month
    regular websurfing = 10MB/week

those numbers are guidelines but they have served me well as well as people I recommend them to.
    07-13-10 07:20 AM
    When I was beta testing Bitbop, I hit 1.5GB in a month. I could have easily doubled that if I was using it more. Unfortunately, my 9630 doesn't have wifi, or I would have connected to my home network and my data usage would have been way less.

Watching videos, streaming music, or using any apps that have a constant data connection are going to push you up in the data usage. If you have the ability to connect via wifi, you can offload some of that and should be fine.
    07-13-10 08:12 AM
    You should be OK with the ATT plan. Remember they also have a sort of built in hedge, an overage that kicks in and gives you an extra 1 GB for 10 dollars during any month that you go over 2. I think even with heavy use it's rare that you will actually go over 2. Video streaming is the killer, BUT as long as you do that mostly on wifi you should be fine. I consider myself a heavy user and I'm generally around 1 GB per month on average and I have NEVER gone above 1.5.
    07-13-10 10:14 AM
    You should be fine, just be cautious if you find yourself streaming alot.
    07-13-10 12:25 PM
    And as long as you're not tethering you should be fine too.

There's a "My Wireless" AT&T app that you can install on your phone to easily
    track your data usage too.
    07-13-10 12:33 PM
    It seems to be an easy cap to go beyond. In the last year I have really gotten into podcasts. I listen to them everyday. Each one I listen to is about 50 mb; and I listen to about three a day. If you do the math, I will be hitting 2GB in two weeks. That doesn't include surfing the web, streaming music through Pandora, emails/IMs, watching streaming video, or downloading music. Furthermore, AT&T offers a tv service, but a consumer won't be able to take full advantage of it on a daily basis. You will be limited to watching a tv show twice a month. This is why I will stay with Sprint and the unlimited data plan.
    07-13-10 01:24 PM
    Folks need to learn how to use wifi.
    07-13-10 01:40 PM
    Folks need to learn how to use wifi.
    Yeah I do this religously. When I was using a BB and especially now on my iPhone.
    07-13-10 01:48 PM
    Yeah just don't be like me

I'm in a huge house and the wifi is kind of iffy where I sleep. I stream Pandora to help me sleep and so I use a lot of data.

If I could do it on Wi-Fi I would, but I can't where I sleep.

If you do most of your streaming stuff over wi-fi, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    07-13-10 02:25 PM
    Yeah just don't be like me

I'm in a huge house and the wifi is kind of iffy where I sleep. I stream Pandora to help me sleep and so I use a lot of data.

If I could do it on Wi-Fi I would, but I can't where I sleep.

If you do most of your streaming stuff over wi-fi, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    There is such a thing as Wi-Fi extenders, you know.
    07-13-10 02:43 PM
    Yeah I do this religously. When I was using a BB and especially now on my iPhone.
    Not everyone has access to WiFi.

07-13-10 07:08 PM
    Not everyone has access to WiFi.

It was meant for those that do.
    07-13-10 07:19 PM
    It was meant for those that do.
    Even those that do, don have it everywhere. I do a lot of my music streaming when I am in the car, which adds up to at least 10 hours a week. That's a lot of data. I also watch streaming video when I'm on the go and may not always have access to WiFi. Also, uploading pics and videos to the web is something that I frequently do on the go. It would be nice to have WiFi everywhere, bit that isn't always the case

07-13-10 08:37 PM
    Jesus christ do I have to really be so specific in my words? For those that have access to it WHERE AVAILABLE.
    07-14-10 01:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD