Hey guys I stumbled upon these forums while I was bored/ getting excited for my bberry pearl 8130 waiting for me at home. I'm at college now but will be going home wednesday night and ripping open my pearl the second I step in the door. I have never had a bberry before or played with one before. What are some of the first things I should do? Any must have apps or themes or settings I should apply? What about the Opera mini browser? Should I DL that or just use the stock bberry one?
    Thanks in advance for the answers to a future bberry addict's questions!
    04-04-09 10:30 PM
    I hate to say this, BUT you gotta go BACK to school! Blackberry school...

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series
    04-04-09 10:44 PM
    I'm a bit of a n00b myself but I would suggest deleting any apps that you won't use. Then, if you can't delete them, (some won't delete) I hid the icons for them so things weren't so cluttered.

The pearl doesn't have as much memory for apps as the other BBs so anything you can dump will free up some memory. Make sure and load your desktop software, etc. and back up your phonebook when you finish entering names and info. I don't use outlook so I keep a spreadsheet with all my contacts in it.
    04-04-09 10:46 PM
    haha! I won't mind going to school if it's to become a blackberry master! This whole week has gone by so slow! I just want to go home and play with my bberry! Will the memory thing be that big of a deal? Should I return the pearl and get the Curve? It only has 32 more mb of onboard memory.... is is that big of a diff?
    04-04-09 10:55 PM
    Depending on what and how many apps, themes, etc you plan to use and download on your device. Do you have a media card to save pics, ringtones, etc on? Oh btw here's a link for some popular downloads...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...pular+download
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wha...pular+download
    04-04-09 10:58 PM
    I got a 2 gb micro SD card to put in. I don't really know much about bberrys but I don't think I will be installing too many themes/apps. I'm gonna want bbm and that's about it for everything I know I'm gonna want.
    04-04-09 11:01 PM
    Just don't forget to format that card when you put it in your device. To do this go to options>media card>menu>format card. That way you will be all set to store your media to your media card, not your device memory.
    04-04-09 11:06 PM
    Sounds good! Thanks mwdb4au! I hope I won't have to be upgrading to a 8gb card soon
    04-04-09 11:18 PM
    Gniss you know all the bb lingo. You sound like you're well informed. I have no patients so I would of had someone from home mail it to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 11:18 PM
    Ha i have little patience either... especially when it comes to electronics. And being on Crackberry all day isn't helping the waiting process! I just hope I don't get so addicted I'm gonna want to start buying a Curve or the Storm from Verizon also. The Pearl was free for me though so that was hard to pass up!
    04-04-09 11:28 PM
    Sounds good! Thanks mwdb4au! I hope I won't have to be upgrading to a 8gb card soon
    Your welcome...hey what OS are you running btw?
    04-04-09 11:31 PM
    Um I don't know cause I haven't opened it yet haha. I'm in college in Cali and I'm going home to Oregon wednesday where the brand new phone is waiting for me! I'm starting to think I should've gotten the Curve instead of the Pearl for the increased memory/processor and bigger screen
    04-04-09 11:44 PM
    Oh yeah that's right my bad I did actually read that earlier. Well when you get it and open it you can go to options>about to see what os version you have. Either that or just type myver and spacebar and it will give it to you also.
    04-05-09 12:00 AM
    Oh. Is there a way to update to the lastest OS? Or is a particular Pearl OS buggy and thats why you wanna know?
    04-05-09 12:02 AM
    Yes you can search the forums here and find the latest OS for your specific phone either through your carrier or other carriers. For official verizon OS updates here's the link...

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    Last edited by mwdb4au; 04-05-09 at 12:25 AM.
    04-05-09 12:18 AM
    Gniss39; my nurse had the Pearl for a week and went back and traded it in for the Curve; she did not care for the sure-type keypad. My curve is my first bb so I can't comment on sure-type but I do love the qwerty feature. You will have to work with your new "toy" and decide which is best for you. And for a college student the price for your pearl sounds good. Be sure you understand your plan (hopefully you have unlimited data) or you will have a huge a$$ bill!!!! NOT good for whomever is footin' the bill. P.S. Remember the battery pull cures many ailments!!!
    04-05-09 12:19 AM
    I love my curve, but a pearl is a very cool and solid phone
    04-05-09 12:22 AM
    If you use Google Calendar, install Google Sync before doing anything else.

04-05-09 12:48 AM
    Oh sounds good. I'll update to the latest OS once I get my phone!
    04-05-09 02:36 AM
    Yeah I'm gonna try the Pearl and see if I like it. I don't mind paying the $100 for the Curve if I'm gonna like it and I don't want to regret not getting it. I just don't wanna send the pearl back to Verizon then order the Curve. So long without a bberry =(
    04-05-09 02:41 AM
    The Pearl's a nice solid phone and then even better after the upgrade to the 4.5 OS. You should do the upgrade after you get familiar with it and then make sure you back it up. After that you can come back and start another "I'm so addicted thread" lol

04-05-09 07:02 AM
    Gniss, good luck with your phone.

I'll tell ya though....you sound so excited that its making me WIRED. Just had coffee and now reading this is cracking me up and super hyper! lol.

Don't go crazy yet.....go enjoy your phone! Im sure you will.

Then come back and tell us all about it. What you did to it, what you REALLY did to it, and then how you fixed it! lol...jk.

Enjoy! And thanks for the early sunday morning energy buzz!!
    04-05-09 07:31 AM
    i've never had the curve, but if i ever trade up to a full qwerty keypad blackberry (which i'm sure i will since i'm not feelin the pearl flip), i'm gonna miss suretype... some people hate it but i think it saves me tons of time
    04-05-09 09:11 AM
    I got a 2 gb micro SD card to put in. I don't really know much about bberrys but I don't think I will be installing too many themes/apps. I'm gonna want bbm and that's about it for everything I know I'm gonna want.

If you're planning to put much music/media on there, 2 GB will fill up pretty fast (unless BBs compress those files in a way my dinosaur PDA doesn't).

You have my sympathy on the impatience - I'm waiting for the 9630 before starting my BB habit, and hanging around here is not making the wait any easier! Good luck and enjoy your Pearl.
    04-05-09 09:33 AM
    Get rid of anything you won't need on th phone! Gotta clear up as much memory as you possibly can on the Pearls! Use this link to help you out: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

04-05-09 10:06 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD