Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-06-14 at 01:31 PM.
    11-13-12 08:58 AM
    iGroan and Crapple, this ought to be a good discussion.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    westcoastit, mikeo007 and kraski like this.
    11-13-12 09:24 AM
    Was talking to a couple engineers here at work. Both had been long time BB users. Both have gone to iGroan. One said he gave up on BB because the last 3 he had died after 18 months. I noticed that because my Torch (9850) just died at about 18 months. It is totally dead with no hope of recovery. The several PCs I tried on (one had never seen a BB) did not even recognize something plugged into the USB port. I'm back on my Storm 2 until the 10 is out.

When the 10 is out I am going to compare it with Windows phone and make a decision at that time. For security, the 10 will have significant weight on it's side of the scale but, I will keep an open mind. I won't consider crapple stuff and I don't want to make it easier for Google to invade my privacy so Android is not under consideration.
    WP8 is a nice looking OS. the handset also. You make a good decision to wait bb10 and then compare it with WP8.

I already try WP8, and now I'm waiting to try London EU (possibly at Nov 29, end of this month).

But if I compare WP8 with BB10 Alpha, definitely bb10 Alpha wins the simplicity of using it. And WP8 wins the beauty of OS appearance.

bb10 alpha is more liquid than WP8, the transition betwen page to page in bb10 alpha is amusing.

I will tell you more if I already try London EU.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    mithrazor likes this.
    11-13-12 10:03 AM
    I've had all three of my BB handsets last over 24 months and most of the people I know with BBs don't have issues with them lasting a long time (with the exception of one person who had three 9650s got bad with in a month) I know there are lemons out there, but that's with any device regardless of maker. I'm guessing your IT guy just had a bad run of luck.

That being said, BB10 should be a solid phone and I hear a lot of great praise for the new Windows 8 phones. Whichever you choose you should do well with it.
    11-13-12 10:22 AM
    never had any of my BBs or Android ever die and need replacement. My wife did have to replace here EVO 3D once though
    11-13-12 10:25 AM
    my iphone 1st gen died after 12 months when the digitizers broke.
    my wife;s iphone 1st gen died after 13 months when the digitizers broke
    my cousins iphone 4 died after 12 months cause the digitizers broke
    and then his iphone 4s died after 13 months .. yes again cause his digitizers broke...maybe he shoulda gotten apple care ; >

now he's waiting it out using a used iphone 4.. BB10, iphone5 or Android (but he had the captivate and didn't like it).

if u don't know what digitizers are.. it's basically what allows for touch input on a touch screen.. and the funny thing it it was either the top half of the phone or the bottom half... never the whole screen!

and to think about it.. i don't think smartphone last more then a year anyway without having lagging issues etc etc etc... but i guess it depends on the user
    CairnsRock likes this.
    11-13-12 10:47 AM
    My blackberry 9700 died after 32 months but that was because i dropped it off a helicopter :/ poor little guy wasn't airborne.
    middbrew, Masahiro and hpjrt like this.
    11-13-12 11:08 AM
    My blackberry 9700 died after 32 months but that was because i dropped it off a helicopter :/ poor little guy wasn't airborne.
    Well, if it's not capably of flying I don't want it.
    Balti43 and hpjrt like this.
    11-13-12 11:18 AM
    Well, if it's not capably of flying I don't want it.

Haha that's what I'm saying Airborne or go home! 18 months is all you need?-82nd_airborne_blackberry_bold_case-ree3b42a3c23940488761d1ec2a487862_a460g_400.jpg
    jakie55, john_v and middbrew like this.
    11-13-12 12:02 PM
    Was talking to a couple engineers here at work. Both had been long time BB users. Both have gone to iGroan. One said he gave up on BB because the last 3 he had died after 18 months. I noticed that because my Torch (9850) just died at about 18 months. It is totally dead with no hope of recovery. The several PCs I tried on (one had never seen a BB) did not even recognize something plugged into the USB port. I'm back on my Storm 2 until the 10 is out.

When the 10 is out I am going to compare it with Windows phone and make a decision at that time. For security, the 10 will have significant weight on it's side of the scale but, I will keep an open mind. I won't consider crapple stuff and I don't want to make it easier for Google to invade my privacy so Android is not under consideration.
    My wife and I have had our Bold 9700's for almost 3 years now, no issues whatsoever - even after numerous drops.

Windows Phone? Just remember:

Windows Phone 8 Doesn't Have a Notification Centre Because Microsoft "Ran Out of Time" | Gizmodo UK
    11-13-12 12:19 PM
    I've had my 9700 for 36 months so far and still going strong. My first BB, a 8220 died within 24 months. I also have a 9300 which still works but was a little abused.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    11-13-12 12:22 PM
    I've had an 8330, 9630,9650 and a 9930, never had a BB die.
    11-13-12 01:00 PM
    Me either, had 9000 still works like a charm my niece has been using it a couple years now, 9700 still being used by my kid, I have a 9900 for 14 months and it's mint condition. I know lots of people with devices well beyond 2 years old and still works fine. blackberry's are built to last.
    11-13-12 05:38 PM
    The only BB I had that died belonged to my wife. Wasn't the BB's fault, though. My wife dropped it while walking down the stairs and the BB won the race to the end of the stairs. She demanded an iPhone after that, which she has till now. One less BBM contact, but the laugh I got out of it was totally worth it.
    11-13-12 07:02 PM
    Approaching two years with my 9650. No problems. It doesn't hang or reboot on it's own, I've rarely pulled the battery. I've haven't used a screen cover or case, and yet it looks brand new, no scratches on the glass or case even though it's been banging around in a purse with keys (etc.) all that time.
    11-13-12 07:10 PM
    Having used my Torch for 1 1/2 years, I got used to performance and capabilities it had. Now I'm wishing I had those abilities in my Storm 2. It doesn't look like I can wait for The 10 before I get an newer (OS 7) BB. I'll start searching Craiglist and other places to see if I can pick up a Torch 9850 for cheap. Maybe I can find one with a broken screen or touch sensor. I believe I just need the main board.

I'm thinking of cutting out the scratched up plastic and gluing in a piece of Gorilla glass. If I can find the needed parts.
    11-14-12 08:22 AM
    I've had two 9930s nuke within nine months of purchase

I have an iPhone 3GS that still works fine, bought in 2009 and running 5.1.1.
    I also have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.
    So what's a crapple or an iGroan again???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-12 12:36 PM
    It is possible to find dinosaur turds. Just because something has been around along time does not me it isn't s%#t.
    Lovely phrase. I'll remember it.

It's not a matter of longevity, it's a matter of a device that is three years old working flawlessly on a newer OS. Juxtaposed against two devices that were brand new that decided to die.

And it is true....just because something has been around longer doesn't mean that it works better. Blackerries had been around much longer than the iPhones yet two brand new flagship devices decided to commit suicide.

I find that interesting, in view of the iGroan and crapple comments.
    11-14-12 01:02 PM
    Lovely phrase. I'll remember it.

It's not a matter of longevity, it's a matter of a device that is three years old working flawlessly on a newer OS. Juxtaposed against two devices that were brand new that decided to die.

And it is true....just because something has been around longer doesn't mean that it works better. Blackerries had been around much longer than the iPhones yet two brand new flagship devices decided to commit suicide.

I find that interesting, in view of the iGroan and crapple comments.
    I was going to comment on that, too. But the comment seems to have been deleted, not sure if by mod or poster. But I was going to suggest it was nice to see such unbiased comments. I, too, have had some interesting phone successes.

There was the Panasonic Duramax. I could take calls where no one else was getting signal. As for longevity, I'm not sure. AT&T turned off TDMA & switched to GSM.

I suspect my Nokia N80 would keep going if I got a new battery for it.

But Blackberry, the supposed king of longevity, hasn't done well by me, so far. My fourth 9800 is sitting in my drawer as a backup. It took less than a month to require a replacement 9810 because of constant rebooting. I might have tried an OS reinstall, except it was new enough I couldn't find the OS for download. My second one has lasted 14 months, multiple OS upgrades and downgrades. We'll see how much longer it goes. I'm not eligible for discounted upgrade, yet.
    11-14-12 01:30 PM
    I was going to comment on that, too. But the comment seems to have been deleted, not sure if by mod or poster. But I was going to suggest it was nice to see such unbiased comments. I, too, have had some interesting phone successes.

There was the Panasonic Duramax. I could take calls where no one else was getting signal. As for longevity, I'm not sure. AT&T turned off TDMA & switched to GSM.

I suspect my Nokia N80 would keep going if I got a new battery for it.

But Blackberry, the supposed king of longevity, hasn't done well by me, so far. My fourth 9800 is sitting in my drawer as a backup. It took less than a month to require a replacement 9810 because of constant rebooting. I might have tried an OS reinstall, except it was new enough I couldn't find the OS for download. My second one has lasted 14 months, multiple OS upgrades and downgrades. We'll see how much longer it goes. I'm not eligible for discounted upgrade, yet.
    I've had enormous successes with my BB EXCEPT for the OS7 devices.

Bought two 9930s both of which nuked, one 9810 which nuked, one perfect 9860, one perfect 9900, and one perfect 9370. 50% of my BB OS7 devices failed. And no, it wasn't user error.

Also have an indestructible 9650.

Everything before OS7 has been perfect.

11-14-12 01:41 PM
    I've had enormous successes with my BB EXCEPT for the OS7 devices.

Bought two 9930s both of which nuked, one 9810 which nuked, one perfect 9860, one perfect 9900, and one perfect 9370. 50% of my BB OS7 devices failed. And no, it wasn't user error.

I've heard other comments about 9930s. The CDMA version doesn't seem to do as well as the 9900.

As for not being user error, you're notably a girl. And we know there are those who have already determined that disqualifies you from knowing anything about government paperwork, all phone tech, and probably a bunch of other stuff.

And, if I have the wrong smileys, that's because the function has been gone all day, so I get to roll them by hand, sticking with the ones I remember how to do manually.
    jakie55 likes this.
    11-14-12 02:39 PM
    Longest I've ever used a portable device was the 8100 pearl which lasted me 36 months. Heavy usage too. If you can squeeze 3 years out of something I think you've done extremely well..
    11-14-12 03:11 PM
    my iphone 4 is still kicking after about 30 months...
    it is the only 'smartphone' ive ever had, so i cant say anything to anything else
    11-14-12 03:12 PM
    I'm sure a lot of things affect the longevity of a phone or other things. How much it is used. Is it abused. Etc.
    I don't think BB is know for being of especially low quality.
    jakie55 and FSeverino like this.
    11-14-12 03:17 PM
    We've got many BBs still working that are much older than that. We've also got quite a few iPhones older than that too. Other than breakage, which is more common on the iPhone, we see little difference in overall lifespan.

I read recently that Android manufacturers are only required to support a phone for 18 months after release...
    11-14-12 04:00 PM
29 12